Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Did ya ever...       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Gerald L. Lohnas
Username: lohnas

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 07:28 pm:       

Did you ever walk around your home with a tape measure?

Mmmmmmmm...I have over 48 inches of wall here. I can't have anything stick out too far, but a 55...mmmmmm.

Mmmmmm...this dresser is really sturdy and it doesn't matter if it gets a little wet once in a while....mmmmm a 10 might fit.

My wife thinks a well maintained aquarium looks nice in room, but she thinks it's extremely weird that there are 5 aquariums in the laundry room, "nobody hangs out in here to enjoy these."

I do.

I'm glad that TFH and Aquarium Fish and the other magazines I get show people's fish rooms with 30, 50, or 100+ tanks. I show these pictures to my wife to prove I'm not crazy.

We use to have a 20 in the bedroom that is now in the laundry room. We kept the light cycle opposite from the day/night cycle so that it }served as a night light in the room while we were sleeping. It was very soothing, and she recently agreed to this arrangement again. I said I wanted to try a marine tank, but I didn't tell her I found 50+ inches of wall that would hold a 90. Now that's a night light!

No question here or even advice, I'm just meandering and "preaching to the choir".

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9765

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 07:33 pm:       

Whoa! I think we're on the same wavelength or something...I just used that exact phrase in a reply to your first post in the other thread...

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Steve
Username: umaxman

Post Number: 59

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 08:00 pm:       

Yes I do it alot and I am sure I could find a place for a bigger tank....but the wife says we need the couch and stove Me I could get by with out them......I think
Hello my name is Steve and I am an addict.
New 35 gallon and the old 20..:-)

Gerald L. Lohnas

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 10:08 pm:       

I work for a mid-sized biotech company. In our main lab we have a small water bath used to accurately control temperatures for certain assays. It's acrylic, about 6 inches wide and 18 inches long holding about 3 gallons. I keep picturing it with neons, or white cloud minnows, a pair of killies, or maybe bumble bee gobies.

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8484

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 10:17 pm:       

lol.

i keep measuring a spot in the living room wall.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

Gerald L. Lohnas

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 10:25 pm:       

Sully, I have a sledge hammer, if you really mean "in" the living room wall.

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 847

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 10:48 pm:       

I spent a good part of the winter measuring where 72"x18" would fit.Today I was in the basement with the ruler figuring where to put the extra floor joists
Waiting will fill

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 422
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 10:53 pm:       

I am considering making an entire wall of fishtanks in my computer room. I can get a custom $tainless $teel stand made up. Forget measuring anymore!!! I want walls of water!
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

Gopi
Advanced Member
Username: gopi

Post Number: 1761

Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 12:33 am:       

Just on Thursday I went around the BF's new apartment trying to decide where a 55 could go (I figure, if I move out to CA after I graduate, I might as upgrade in the process and then reclaim the tank...) He has these heaters along the bottom of the wall, all in the prime tank locations of course and don't wanna put a tank in front of that (or the window).

He came home and I declared "We're going to have to move this bookcase!"
There! You have a bigger tank! Will you stop plotting my death now??

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8486

Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 12:34 am:       

i did indeed mean in. I have a sledge hammer. my wife has the shotgun. i have avoided that hole in the wall look for some time now--lol.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

Lori
Username: lori

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 04:32 pm:       

I do the same thing. I'm trying to figure out how to make one of those little aquariums into a centerpiece for my kitchen table, but the cords are a real pain. Then there's the corner in my living room that's still empty......

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 426
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 05:53 pm:       

I have baseboard heating along my walls. I have to give room for powerfilters so this is just fine anyways. Unless they are electric I cant think of any reason they would pose a problem.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member
Username: musicalfingers

Post Number: 1462

Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 08:18 pm:       

Lori, drill a hole in the middle of the table to run the cords through. Cover the hole with the tank. You're all set!
Out of insanity comes brilliance...or was it the other way around?

TruCelt
Advanced Member
Username: trucelt

Post Number: 1719

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 01:12 pm:       

I think I may be the sickest one here. I am in the beginning stages of searching for a home to buy. When I review floor plans, or walk through a place, I NEVER ask myself where the bed would go . . . I'm just looking for a 10' stretch of wall with good floor support to be the new site of "Loachie Heaven". . .

I have great faith in fools; "self-confidence" my friends call it. - Edgar Allan Poe

April
Advanced Member
Username: jumpingtadpoles

Post Number: 1353

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 08:50 pm:       

Sully you need to losen her grip from that shotgun, or at least sell it soshe doesn't have it. Did I meantion your bride may scare me a tad?
Dream big, celebrate life, and never stop learning.

Lori
Username: lori

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 11:37 am:       

Hmmm - not sure I wanna' drill on my dining room table!!! That might be going too far, even for me!

Lohnas

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 05:50 pm:       

TruCelt, it's not unusually to have hobby requirements be a high priority when purchasing a home. Ultimately for me, space is not a limiting factor. I have a 10' x 14' spare room in the basement (cement floor that could hold more than 10,000lbs). I can use this room as I wish that just has junk in it now. I'm limited by money, the capacity of my well in a drought, and my wife's tolerance...not necessarily in that order. I just "see" spots where aquariums would fit as I walk around my house.

Lori, I'm sure something could be worked out with batteries. The heater would be the biggest problem. How about white clouds and battery powered airstone and light? That humming from the airstone might be annoying and its batteries would need changing often though. Maybe only a battery light and labyrinth fishes? I had a tiny licorice gourami for a while I liked. Or, you could hide a strip in a decoration/centerpiece and unplug it when eating?
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Did ya ever...       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration