Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Driftwood question       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member
Username: musicalfingers

Post Number: 1470

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 03:22 am:       

I've been looking at my options for driftwood, and this seems to be the cheapest:
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=8455244418 11080&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302030048&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=253437430202 3694&bmUID=1143706821402&itemNo=3&Ntt=driftwood&In=All&previousText=driftwood&N= 2

Would it work in an aquarium, or no?
Out of insanity comes brilliance...or was it the other way around?

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9792

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 06:27 am:       

I'm pretty sure grapewood is for reptile and dry tanks only, and will at least stain the water if you use it. I'm also not sure fish will eat it anyway. They don't eat my Malaysian driftwood, they don't even sit on it, just under it. The light-colored older looking stuff I have must be delicious though. They seldom leave it.

It's pretty cheap on eBay and Aquabid, and free at your local river, lake, or creek.

Most of the time, you'll get a better selection at AquaBid: http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/search.cgi Type in "driftwood" and toggle to "Other - Decorations for Aquarium" and you'll get a nice selections of pieces that range from 3 for $6.50 to $300.

...than at eBay. With slate bottoms: http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&catref=C6 &satitle=aquarium+driftwood+slate&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fsop=1%26fsoo %3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2& sadis=200&fpos=ZIP%2FPostal&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=

...and without: http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&catref=C6 &satitle=aquarium+driftwood&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&c oaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis= 200&fpos=ZIP%2FPostal&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 853

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 09:45 pm:       

If you can, hunt your own driftwood its cheap and fun too!
Waiting will fill

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1479

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 09:52 pm:       

Got some from my new favorite LFS. I got to check on my snailies that way, too! :-) They're doing quite well, I'm happy to say. The driftwood cost about $2.50, so IMO it was worth it.

Russell
Username: tboy

Post Number: 176

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 10:03 pm:       

Fish eat driftwood?

Is that why my pleco never seams to stop sucking on it?
I need more tanks...

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9808

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 10:36 pm:       

cellulose is cellulose...

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

April
Advanced Member
Username: jumpingtadpoles

Post Number: 1355

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 11:09 pm:       

Yes russel, particularily it is important for plecos to have driftwood to nibble
Dream big, celebrate life, and never stop learning.

Anthony
Username: bigant

Post Number: 44

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 12:01 am:       

If you do "hunt your own" what do you need to do to it before putting it in your tank???
Yours is not to question why, mine is to buy fish and die.

Russell
Username: tboy

Post Number: 180

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 12:14 am:       

There was a tread going on here a few months ago. I belive most people suggested in washing it serveral times in hot warm. Even boilin water a few times.

That I guess killed off anything you wouldn't want and the frequent washes made sure that it didn't change the colour of your water when ya put it in the tank.

;)
I need more tanks...

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 859

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 09:50 am:       

If you want to go all out on cleaning heres how I did it.Probably overdid it a little but wanted to be sure I killed everything on it.
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/discus/messages/19/50486.html?1133908039
Waiting will fill

Kelsey
Username: soggynacho

Post Number: 597

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 11:35 am:       

check out Drs Foster & Smith This is were I got my driftwood, and i love the look of it, bigger piece than I expected too. This is the "malaysian driftwood" I got a piece of african driftwood and wasn't happy- it was just a flat piece. the malaysian driftwood has lots of shape.
It is on sale right now too!
EDIT: Duh- I didn't read your post that said you already got some MF.
Sorry! Thats what I get for skimming.

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1483

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 11:16 pm:       

Well, my pleco died. :-( I'll still use the driftwood (because my spixi has been nibbling my plants), and perhaps when I get some more algae I'll try a couple of otos.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Driftwood question       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration