Topics Topics Search Search      

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Corydora eggs not hatching (pics)       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

g3H2O
Username: g3h2o

Post Number: 292

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 10:57 am:       

I was talking to Russ about a strange occurence in my 29 gallon tank. I have 18 panda corydoras in there, and lately some have been laying eggs. Around 5-6 a night. None of them have hatched though. Some have been on the glass for a week now, and they haven't changed color, there is no mold or fungus growing on them, and none of the other fish in the tank are eating the eggs.

I'm a bit baffled, I thought for sure they'd be eaten or start to rot after sitting there for a week.

Has anyone ever experienced this? I took some pictures though they are poor quality.

This one shows some eggs on a small pebble about the size of a pea.

http://members.cox.net/g3h2o/eggs1.jpg

Some on the glass with my finger as a size reference:

http://members.cox.net/g3h2o/eggs2.jpg

More on glass, 1 with extra lighting:

http://members.cox.net/g3h2o/eggs3.jpg

http://members.cox.net/g3h2o/eggs4.jpg

There are neon tetra, otocinclus, endlers and an olive nerite snail in this tank with the pandas.

Any thoughts? I'm puzzled as to why none of them (probably 30ish total now) have hatched or been eaten.

78 degrees F, 0 ammonia / nitrate / nitrate pH 7.7 120 alkalinity 340 hardness, weekly 80% water changes. Fed bloodworms, flake food, frozen brine shrimp, freeze-dried krill, zuchinni and apple pieces
- Mike in Arizona

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9816

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 12:28 pm:       

My first guess is that the eggs are being eaten but new ones are being laid. The only way to be certain this isn't the case is to mark the outside of the glass with a marker and see if the next morning or two you don't have the same approximate number but in slightly different spots.

My second guess is that they aren't being fertilized, never will hatch, and will eventually decay or be eaten.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

g3H2O

Post Number: 293

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 02:21 pm:       

I can tell they aren't being eaten because they are scattered all over the tank in small groups of 2-3 eggs, so its been easy to keep track of.

Sounds like they aren't being fertilized, but what would cause that? I don't know anything about egglayers so I guess I assumed if there were eggs to begin with that meant all the ducks had to be in a line already, so to speak.

Anything I can do to encourage the males to do their part?
- Mike in Arizona

Gopi
Advanced Member
Username: gopi

Post Number: 1780

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 06:24 pm:       

are you sure it's the cories?
The olive nerite will also lay white eggs on the glass, rocks, driftwood, plants, heaters, whatever they feel like. These stay white and last forever! They don't hatch in freshwater, so they just stay there. I get tons from the two I have and just scrape them off.
There! You have a bigger tank! Will you stop plotting my death now??

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9822

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 09:48 pm:       

I think Gopi solved the mystery...

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

g3H2O

Post Number: 294

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 10:35 pm:       

I searched for pics of nerite eggs.. Good call Gopi! The eggs in my tank look just like this =)

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/spanish/sept2003/sesame.htm

Just for grins did you ever put the eggs in saltwater to see if they would hatch?
- Mike in Arizona

Gopi
Advanced Member
Username: gopi

Post Number: 1783

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 11:05 pm:       

Nah. They are firmly attached. I scrape them off with a razor blade while I get at the algae. Did it just yesterday so it was fresh on the mind ;)

I've thought about it though. However, I'd have to buy salt...and don't feel like setting up another tank to make a brackish experiment. (yup that's right...I'm out of room/equpiment/money)
There! You have a bigger tank! Will you stop plotting my death now??
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Corydora eggs not hatching (pics)       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration