Topics Topics Search Search      

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Moving my tank, need advice       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Joy
Username: profsnapefan

Post Number: 89
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 10:47 am:       

Hello all, the time has come that I have my space cleared out at home, have resigned from the job effective end of april, and now have a tank to move. Basics, it's 29 gallons, holds a school of 6 bloodfin tetra's, and a school of 6 black/white skirt tetras and a CAE. And there will be about a 25 minute trip between packing & unpacking.

I've got 4 5 gallon buckets with lids and was basically thinking I could fill all the buckets with the aquarium water, and stick the fish in the buckets also... tetra's in one and cae in another (since I'll have to put his castle in as I can't ever get him out of it), put filter device in another bucket to keep it wet, gravel I figure will stay damp during the short trip. Get it all here and set up then start pouring the water back in and add the fish again. Too simple, or will that be more traumatic on fish to be in buckets then in bags?

Any input appreciated.

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 458
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 11:20 am:       

Use another bucket or the same filter media bucket to hold the wet gravel, leave a bit of water in there keeping it soaked. You sound like your on the right track. Keep as much water as possible. I would do a normal water change the day before you move with the newer source water, if possible.

Buckets...bags? The bucket seems better because a bag is typically clear and fish spaz when something moves near it.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

Joy

Post Number: 90
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 12:30 pm:       

I suppose I could fill up a 5 gallon bucket here, possibly 2 and carry them with me to work and do a change.... It will be a bit of a surprise for them I'm sure as they're moving from hard tap water to soft spring water.

Thanks for the reply

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8528

Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 12:46 pm:       

spend some serious time acclimating them to the new water. Like an hour or two. Try to make sure that the tank is 50/50 old to new water for the first week.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 4001

Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 12:59 pm:       

I would also clean and rinse the existing gravel. Have a clean gravel bed when re-setting your tank. I can't think of any reason, other than a special layered substrate that is plant-specific, to not starting with a clean gravel bed. Then, move the gravel separately from tank. No need to move the tank with the weight of the gravel in it.
"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

Joy

Post Number: 91
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 02:37 pm:       

Umm.... well that would be a problem, I have a laterite substrate, covered by a thin layer of gravel. If I stir all that up it'll be a big mess.

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 4003

Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 02:53 pm:       

Joy,

"other than a special layered substrate that is plant-specific,"
"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

Joy

Post Number: 92
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 05:11 pm:       

I got that part ;-) was just basically saying why I wouldn't be doing that.

On a side note, it now amazes me that they survived when I basically did a hasty move over the holidays due to a power outage at work, disregarding all basic rules and shoving them all into a 10 gallon tank.... and except for one blackskirt tetra they all survived. Course with my luck now that I'm trying to do it right and not in a panicked haphazard way I'll probably kill them all, lol.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Moving my tank, need advice       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration