Topics Topics Search Search      

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Otto lovers       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

April
Advanced Member
Username: jumpingtadpoles

Post Number: 1364

Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 11:42 pm:       

I am considering getting some ottos in my 25g once i rid of some of the gups that have grown into their colors. But I keep thinking what is it about these critters that everyone loves. I hear it every so often " I love my ottos", but why do you love your ottos?? What is it about them? Are they just cute?, do they have a personality trait that is appealing? What do you love about them?

I am considering them because my tank has diatoms, and while I don't mind them (the diatoms), I figure an excuse for a new fish is a reasonable excuse, no matter the reason
Dream big, celebrate life, and never stop learning.

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 465
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 11:48 pm:       

I just picked up 8 ottos over the weekend. They are great little guys. I am collecting an army of algae eaters.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

Steve
Username: umaxman

Post Number: 72

Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 11:56 pm:       

They are just fun to watch, They chase each other back and forth the front of my tank. Like they are playing tag:-)
Always on the go and having fun.(I have four)
Hello my name is Steve and I am an addict.
New 35 gallon and the old 20..:-)
http://www.tropicalfishgallery.com/photo-gallery/index.php?cat=10193

Kim
Advanced Member
Username: kimrin

Post Number: 2313

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 12:31 am:       

they're darling in a group but I can't seem to keep them. I have a lone survivor in each of my big tanks. I considered putting them together but figure one would die on me for sure if I move it.

I almost lost my head and started to order some wildcaught zebra oto's. Thank god the price knocked some sense into me, lol!

signed: kim the otto killer

April
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1366

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 12:49 am:       

Ya'll are saying in groups... is 2 a group? lol

Kim
Advanced Member

Post Number: 2315

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 01:18 am:       

the fewer there are the "hidier" they are. they'll still work on your algae though. :-) in fact they really seem to need it, supplemental feeding is good but without algae they just seem to feed away. Maybe it's because I have too many algae eaters competing?

April
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1367

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 01:42 am:       

Well with 2 in there, I would be pushing my bio load, I think, so until I plant the tank heavily I think thats all I should put in, but by the end of this week I will have my first plants in my tank,a few anubias, hornwort, and 1/2 cup of java moss. I figure I can afford new lighting, probably from Ah suppy since it's so cheap, in a few more months, I'll start planting more by then...
Brad also said a while ago he was up to sending some plants my way, but we haven't touch base since then...

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8533

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 08:01 am:       

i think the single most critical element for long term oto survival is lots of plants.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

flyingfish

Post Number: 466
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 08:43 am:       

I think Sully is right. I dont have any issues with them. Mine are in a heavily planted tank. I originally purchased 4 and they took soo well... eating and playing like Steve explained. Then I went back for 4 more!
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Matt
Username: squirrel_guy

Post Number: 123

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 09:31 am:       

Not only do they swim around in a friendly manner, but they cling to plants in strange ways. Instead of just hiding in a cave or sticking to a wall like a pleco, they will rest on the plants. It is really cool to see an 1 1/2 inch otto sitting on a sword stem that is a foot long. They have a great contrast to the bright green plant.

John D
Username: john_d

Post Number: 427

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 09:42 am:       

April, another great thing about Ottos is that they stay very small and hardly contribute anything at all to your bio load. So, you can get more than 2!!

Joe
Username: joesaysso

Post Number: 306
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 04:05 pm:       

I got one a few months ago. I had heard about how death-prone the species was and I wanted to try one out before/if I decided to get any more. He is in my 29 gallon, decently planted tank. To my surprise he is doing very well.

He has all of the algae to himself and contrary to Kim's experiences, he isn't hidey at all. My hands are in that tank almost every day and never even bothers to move. Sometimes he'll be resting on an Amazon sword leaf and my hands will be in the tank snipping plants or picking snails. I'll purposely give his leaf a little nudge and he just stares at me like, "Dude, go bother somebody else, I'm busy."

I say, "Alright Otto, cool. I was just playing. Geez." And then he goes, "Yeah well, I ain't your lap dog. Go bother the loaches or that goofy pleco or something. Just beat it." And then I go cry.

Anyway, thats why I love my otto. Because he is verbally abusive and doesn't take stuff from anybody.
Joe

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9852

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 04:10 pm:       

What I like best about them is their name - otos - from otocinclus.

Sorry, just couldn't resist...

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Carlo
Username: carlo

Post Number: 186
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 04:25 pm:       

People here talk about "heavily planted." How heavily is heavily? I have three live plants in a 29 gallons tank (actually one "plants" is a group of these weed stalks that's actually 8 separate plants).

I got two ottos over the weekend and the smaller died quickly. The other seems fine. I'd like to get more, but it's important that I have a good environment for them.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9855

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 04:32 pm:       

To me, heavily planted is less than 25% of the substrate is visible.

Moderately planted is 25-75% of the substrate is visible.

Lightly planted is more than 75% of the substrate is visible. And plastic decorations don't count.

Your results may vary.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Kim
Advanced Member

Post Number: 2317

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 09:12 pm:       

I know...it's oto, not otto. But I've got this keyboard problem see....Russ explained it to me once.... ;)

Joe's little guy sounds more like an Otto though. :-)

I guess my guy in the lightly planted tank isn't really all that hidey, I do see him, while I have to work to catch sight of the guy in the moderately planted tank. Maybe he's not intending to hide but just going about his business.

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8545

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 09:18 pm:       

i have something over 24 of them in my 75. They love to school with the sids. Every now and again the BA tetras and a few rams even join in. A sight to see. All these little fish just dancing around the tank. Flashes of color and reflection. Along with the basic brown bodies and white underbellies of the otos. The otos add a lot to the tank. Not only by their appeal, but what they do for every other fish in there.

Or, sometimes it is simply these little things just hopping from plan to plant--all over the tank. Like little jumping beans. That is sort of cool too.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

flyingfish

Post Number: 476
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 09:21 pm:       

Mines not arranged nice but its stacked with plants. Looks more like the plant tank at the pet store then a work of art. It started as a place to put the extra plants I ordered now its grown into a full blown tank.

This isnt a big leaf but I think you get the idea Matt & Sully are trying to explain.
otto
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

compensate
Username: compensate

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 09:36 pm:       

I'm gonna buy a few myself in a few weeks for my kids' tanks. I've gotta buy some more live plants first.

One 5g will house a single male betta and probably 2-3 otos.

One 10g will house a single male betta, 3 otos, and I hope to squeeze in 2 small corys (daughter wants all of these fish).

You can't beat the little oto for great algae control with low bio-load!

"Oto," right cindy?
What is popular isn't always right, and what is right isn't always popular!

bunny
Username: moonbunny

Post Number: 443

Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 05:16 pm:       

Oto's are such great fish...

They get along with *everybody*

They're environmental barometers

They do a great job of looking out for themselves (esp. when you're cleaning. I worried at first about sucking one up because they're so tiny)

They're top-notch for diatom algae (they say you should go 1 oto/10 gal, but depending on how prone to diatom algae you are, you could add extra otos-so long as you supplement with algae tabs)

Their bio-load is *tiny*

They're very playful/silly with their own kind

...and because you have to really search to find them in your tank, you get to spend more time really enjoying your tank!
"There is a natural hootchy-kootchy motion to a goldfish." ~Walt Disney
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Otto lovers       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration