Topics Topics Search Search      

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Quandry.....Opinions?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Shari
Ancient Plus
Username: shari

Post Number: 5674

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 10:30 am:       

I have an opportunity to pick up a couple of Special Plecos. I need opinions, and I trust you guys, so HELP

I've been "adopted" a number of fish from this guy over the last couple months. Danio Dario, Sterbai Cories, Starlight BN, and I'm sure a couple others. He's a college student and is downsizing. He's apparently the type of "kid" I should keep in contact as he's raised the Cories himself, and MANY others from what I can tell.

Anyway, here's the quandry.....he's now offering me his Plecos. This is what he has, and what he's offered them to me for...

A 4" L-333 hypancistrus for $15.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/loricari/hypancis/1024_F.PHP

Two tank-bred specimens of L-270 available as well from my first clutch of eggs and are a good 2.5-3" (and are sexually mature-one of the females is already gravid) in length, also $15 each.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/loricari/hypancis/232_F.PHP

I want these fish SO BADLY, and not just because they are expensive, but I also DON'T want to get them if I can't properly care for them. This guy told me flat out that he trusted NONE of the LFS's around, and had no time for the Society, so he was glad to have found me.

So, tell me do something, here.....
My Fish Tanks Are SPREADING!!

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8535

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 11:09 am:       

Shari,
The first thought is what a great price for those fish. Get em.

Second, more of a brain fart kind of babble. The key to keeping the plecos is water quality. they should acclimate to your tanks with relatively little concern. there is always a concern with wild caughts--but, they should transition well given an extended acclimate process. Obviosly, the water parameters of the tank he is coming out of will influence the acclimation period. It may be that this guy has already acclimated them to local conditions.

There is a big difference in water parameter requirements when discussing "keeping" v. "breeding". If all you are after is keeping I cannot imagine a problem.

As to not trusting an lfs with the fish. I do not trust the lfs I frequent with any of the juveniles i sell. They will kill them, or need to medicate them so much that I would not want to buy them. Which in turn makes me think of the poor son of a gun that would. My biggest concern when thinking of "trusting" an lfs with fish that come out of my tanks is disease, stocking and water conditions. I would not trust 80% of the lfs's because of that. Does not mean the fish are particularly delicate or difficult. Just means that the water conditions at an lfs are terrible.

The biggest thing I have found with plecos is back to the water conditions--just like any other fish. I will avoid discussing 25% weekly water changes or whatever. I will simply say make it a minimum of 50%, don't overstock and those bad boys will be beautiful additions to you tank. I know you keep the tanks in great shape water wise so you should not have issues related to water smack you up side the head.

Diet. Most plecos require a higher protein diet. These are no exception. I know we talk about "algae" wafers here--i use them--but, you need to get to veggie wagers and spirulina enhanced foods as well. Fish survive on algae. They thrive on the other stuff. Shrimp pellets, fresh veggies, black or blood worms, and a bit of flake that is allowed to settle.

Wood. I have it in any tank with any type of pleco. Some use it more than others. The wood rasping is suspected to be a way to get to the bacteria that cause the wood to decay--it ain't just a way to keep the teeth sharp. Even gold nuggets like wood.

Plecos like some current--or the opportunity to play in the current. I recall once reading a blanket statement that any fish that swims against the current is evidencing health problems--with a pleco (and lots and lots of other species of fish) that is pure bs. They really welcome some current.

Rocks for caves--need them.

Gorgeous fish. I would have taken those in a New York minute and figured out how I was housing them when I got home--lol.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

Shari
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 5680

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 11:21 am:       

Sully, you're the BEST :-):-) Fabulous info.

Ok, I have wood in almost all my tanks. I feed worms, and don't stick with "Algea" wafers alone. I feed Variety wafers and Veggie wafers (and veggies) to the Cories and others, so they are in the house.

Question? Do you know anything about the personality of these guys? I don't remember seeing anything about them being "mean"? I would LOVE to put at least one of them in my 55g, which is peaceful. I have new Horseface Loaches in there, so they get bloodworms or brine shrimp every night. Would that work?

Joe
Username: joesaysso

Post Number: 304
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 11:25 am:       

First and foremost, it would all depend on the size of the tank and what kind of tankmates the fish had. Do you want to house these fish together?? Did the college kid house them together??

I won't pretend that I know a great deal about either of these fish. Just what I've learned in reading about them from your thread. However, it does say that the l-333 is a very good tankmate for any fish living at the top of the water column. "Much more demanding of the aquarist if attempting to keep together with Corydoras or other ground-living fish."

It might not be a good idea to keep them in the same tank. The l-270 stays a bit smaller and could lose out if trouble occurs. Neither fish gets that big, I think the 333 gets to about 6 inches, so you don't need a whopper of a tank to keep either of them.

I'd say that if you can meet their dietary needs and you watch their tankmates (l-333 specifically) there shouldn't be any reason that you couldn't give one of them, if not both of them, good, healthy lives. Opportunities like this only come around so often.
Joe

Shari
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 5681

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 11:57 am:       

I agree completely, Joe :-)

I have 9 tanks running, from 10g to 125g.....I should be able to house them. I was looking for the personality info, so that's great. I can seperate them, no problem.

Foremost, I want to be sure I can keep them healthy, and I think I am finding I can I have a completely peaceful tank that has driftwood and plants, sand, no "overbearing" bottom guys. Just a couple BN's and the Horsefaces. Everyone's "nice" :-) Then I have a couple of Grow-out tanks that I'm setting up. One is a 40g Breeder. Those will have my Apisto and Krib fry in them, but for Grow-out only. I also have a 55g that houses only the Red Points, Rasboros, and 2 BN's. I could put someone in there for a while and see how it works. AND I could put one in the 125g depending on the size they are. That tank also has wood and get's bloodworms on a fairly regular basis.

How's that sound :-)

I'm not sure if the guy has kept them together, I will find out. I really don't know much about this guy except he's been VERY NICE to me. I found him on another board when he offered the Sterbai's and some others up for adoption. Since then, every time he has more fish to send out, he e-mails me first :-)

sully
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 8536

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 12:15 pm:       

you may see some plant damage. oh well. lol.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 874

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 02:09 pm:       

You cant possibly pass this up.These are some of the plecs Ive been dreaming about getting once I decide to do something about my hard alkaline water that is.
Waiting will fill

Shari
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 5683

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 02:47 pm:       

You cant possibly pass this up.

Now THAT'S the response I was looking for

sully
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 8538

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 02:47 pm:       

how hard? they may acclimate. you would be shocked at the pH levels and general hardness in some of the SA waterways.

russ
Ancient Member
Username: rasaqua

Post Number: 4011

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 02:52 pm:       

Shari,

Now we fully expect your next post on this subject to be, "I've got em'". Otherwise, I'm gonna sneak over there and get them. Oh, I just thought of something....I'll be gone the rest of the week.
"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)

Shari
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 5685

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 03:06 pm:       

LOL, Russ.....Yes, I e-mailed him and told him I would happily give them a good home

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member
Username: musicalfingers

Post Number: 1492

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 07:30 pm:       

And when you get little babies you can send them to us! :-)
Out of insanity comes brilliance...or was it the other way around?

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 475
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 09:04 pm:       

Weird....I just inquired about a zebra pleco.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

Shari
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 5687

Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 10:39 am:       

*****insert Twilight Zone theme here*****

Scarey, Frank

I've always looked, but never even considered getting to own :-)

Lisa Blair
Username: lkblair

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 11:36 pm:       

Wow, Shari, those are *cool*! And I am not a big pleco fan. But, wow!

So, when do you pick them up?

Shari
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 5692

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 11:51 am:       

This weekend :-):-)
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Quandry.....Opinions?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration