Topics Topics Search Search      

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Hoooooray!!! Loachies!!!       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Joe C
Username: joe

Post Number: 323

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 09:47 pm:       

Got the loaches I wanted today! I went into one of the decent Petcos locally since I was in the area, just to see what they had. And lo and behold, there were 5 striata looking for hiding places in one of their larger tanks. There were four that were about 3 inches, and one big ol' 6 incher, and all but one looked good (one of the smaller ones was pretty thin). They had been adopted, and were much larger than I normally see in the stores. I watched them for a while, then decided to take a chance on them.

Catching them turned into a two-man operation, with a manager and a young guy manning the nets while I held the container and kept the one's already caught from jumping out. Several folks stopped to watch the show, but eventually (after all the rocks and decorations had come out) they caught the ones I wanted. I got the three healthy looking three-inchers for $5.39 each. I wish I could've gotten the big one, too, but I knew I'd be pushing it to qt just the 3.

Right now, I've got 'em qt'd in my 10, and yes, it's tight in there. But that's the only qt option I've got. I had a couple of cories in there, and they are now getting acquainted with the occupants of the 55. The 3 loaches are a pretty heavy fish load for the 10, so I'll have to step up the water changes while they're in there. But it'll be worth it if these guys work out. I was figuring on having to order them, but walked into that store, and there they were!

Remember to recycle...scrap your warships!
(USS Nathan Hale, SSBN 623, scrapped on April 5, 1994)

compensate
Username: compensate

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 09:52 pm:       

Wow! What a price for 3"-ers!!

Congrats!!
What is popular isn't always right, and what is right isn't always popular!

Gopi
Advanced Member
Username: gopi

Post Number: 1810

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 09:53 pm:       

Hmmm, i don't know of striata that get 6 inches long... 3 inches is kinda the norm... are you sure they are striata and not a look alike?
There! You have a bigger tank! Will you stop plotting my death now??

Joe C

Post Number: 324

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 10:03 pm:       

Hmm...good question, Gopi. What are the look alikes?

Gopi
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1812

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 10:13 pm:       

i'm sure there are a few Joe. Robusta and Rostrata can look pretty similar (maybe not to some, but I bet if one is mixed with another at a store tank...) and robusta can get to about 7 inches so... how bout a pic? I'd love to see a 6 inch striata if it is one ;)

Joe C

Post Number: 325

Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 12:24 am:       

Okay, looks like I've been had. These are robusta, not striata, and they are just as aggressive as they are reputed to be. Two of 'em are going at each other with some real feeling! Thanks for the heads up, Gopi! I owe you, big time! These guys are going back tomorrow! I'm glad I didn't leave the corys in with them!

Live and learn.

And ain't it grand to have a site like this to keep me out of fish trouble?

Gopi
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1813

Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 01:12 am:       

Phew! I'm so sorry you got the wrong loachies :-( Striata were really hard for me to find too (Craig delivered most of mine). My guys top out around 2.5 inches. They can "get larger" in the wild, but 6 inches...now that would be one big striata ;)

You might want to give the store a heads up that their fish are mislabeled...

Joe C

Post Number: 326

Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 03:03 am:       

Will do, Gopi, and thanks again!
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Hoooooray!!! Loachies!!!       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration