Topics Topics Search Search      

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Driftwood From Destin, FL       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

compensate
Username: compensate

Post Number: 138
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 09:50 pm:       

Another driftwood thread, but different questions . . .

The family went to Destin, FL for a few days and I spent a couple of hours each day hunting driftwood on and near the beach. I found a few decent pieces, but most are not real impressive, just a little curvy. Many are straight pieces.

Most interesting was a few pieces that obviously spent a lot of time in the ocean as there were lots of VERY tiny shells embedded over the surface of some pieces. One had a piece of coral starting to grow on it, too.

Another piece looked like some type of large tuberous root, about 2.5 feet long, 4 inches wide, and flat, with short, thick and "nubby" root-like growths over the bottom side - a layer of bark across the top side of the piece.

Since all of this driftwood came from the ocean, will it be laden with salt and not useful for a freshwater aquarium? Or will ample boiling remove any salt?

Wish I had time to photograph the pieces - I may one day. I've got about 50 pieces, most of which are not overly impressive by any means . . .

If these don't work, I may try some freshwater sources in my area, but much of the local water is becoming more and more polluted these days . . .
What is popular isn't always right, and what is right isn't always popular!

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6775

Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 08:54 am:       

will ample boiling remove any salt? sure, but just plain soaking will do as well. salt is water soluble ya know.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

compensate

Post Number: 142
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 11:54 am:       

I did know that, but wondered how long it would take to remove the salt from the wood. Seems like boiling would expedite the salt removal as well as making sure the driftwood will actually sink instead of float.

I've never used driftwood in the past, so it is very new to me.

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6777

Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 12:33 pm:       

i collect driftwood from the beach and the river i live on. i never boil it.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

April
Advanced Member
Username: jumpingtadpoles

Post Number: 1376

Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 08:45 pm:       

So does using driftwood from salt water beach mean you have to boil it? Does it affect the water differently, or worse then fresh water driftwood?
Dream big, celebrate life, and never stop learning.

compensate

Post Number: 150
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 08:32 am:       

Where is a guru of driftwood knowledge when you need one?

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9864

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 06:30 pm:       

You already heard from him.

Osmosis may cause the salt water to draw water out of the wood, if it was still green while floating in the SW, but the driftwood would not draw salt into it. No need to boil it - I never have either, dan - I just rinse it off and put it in the tank. The first piece I ever bought was red cedar and still really red, so I soaked in for a month, to get rid of a lot of the tannins, but the stuff I've gathered was already thoroughly soaked.

Unless you collect some that is covered with mud or debris, I don't know where anyone gets the idea that it carries parasites or pathogens. Nothing that is dangerous to fish can live on dead wood...

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

compensate

Post Number: 181
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 08:38 am:       

dan must be the expert then . . . good to know . . .

Thanks for the info, cindy.

One piece I have looks nice, and I have ben soaking it for a day or two, but appears to be a bit rotten - wood flakes off pretty easily. Is this OK?

I do think I will need to boil it to get it to sink, because this piece is VERY bouyant!

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9890

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 09:42 pm:       

The more it is falling apart, the more wood coloered pleco poop you will see...that is grade A prime for them.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

compensate

Post Number: 191
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 09:57 am:       

Since I won't be using any plecos in this tank, I'd probably rather find a less rotten piece of driftwood.

Anyone want the piece I have? It is about 4 inches in diameter, 12 inches long, with a side piece sticking out at a 90-degree angle. It looks like some driftwood I've seen selling on the Internet - two-colored wood (medium and dark brown).
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Driftwood From Destin, FL       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration