Topics Topics Search Search      

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Buying fish online vs. LFS       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Joy
Username: profsnapefan

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 03:01 pm:       

Just wondered if anyone had experience with buying their fish online. I can order through my LFS if that would be safer. I'm kinda iffy, his tanks look better than wal-mart, but that's not saying a whole lot, lol. I've gotten some from him in the past that seemed to do ok. OTOH he didn't know what a loach was. I'm about 2 hours away from an airport and no shops around here stock zebra loaches. If online shipping is safe, could someone recommend some of the best places to get some hopefully healthy and well shipped fish? Or would it be a better shot to go with the LFS.

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6779

Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 03:38 pm:       

i breed, sell and buy cichlids and thus, both ship and receive fish by USPS and UPS fairly often. i've never received dead fish nor have any of my sales resulted in dead fish.

i'd suggest that using a quality on-line dealer is (or should be) no risk. a good dealer will guarantee live arrival, will use proper shipping materials and ship healthy fish.

bear in mind however, that shipping fish is expensive. expect to pay anywhere from $35- $45.00 per box for overnight shipping in addition to the cost of the fish.

if you're interested in cichlids, here are a few of the 'best' dealers i know of:

for East Africans: http://www.ohiexchange.com/armke

for West Africans and Amazon species:
http://www.mtfb.com/SouthernApistos/pricelist.html

http://www.rehobothaquatics.com/index2.html

for Central and South American Cichlids: http://tangledupincichlids.com/

i only keep cichlids and can't give you any reliable non cichlids dealers.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

Joe
Username: joesaysso

Post Number: 307
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 03:51 pm:       

If you think about it, shipping fish from an online store to a buyer is not that different than shipping a fish from their wild caught waters or a fish farm to a specific LFS. One way or the other, you are buying fish that have been shipped at least once from somewhere.

As Dan said, the cost of shipping is extremely expensive. When you buy from an online store, you fork out the money for the shipping. If you buy from an LFS, they fork out the money for shipping.

Regardless of whether you get your fish online or from an LFS, general acclimation/qt procedures are the same. If you are looking for a rare fish that you can't get in your LFS and don't mind paying extra for shipping, you shouldn't be shy about it. However, if you have a good quality, trusted LFS and can get the fish from them, get it from the LFS. It would be cheaper for you and you'd be supporting the LFS so they can continue to provide you quality fish.
Joe

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 494
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 04:26 pm:       

Dan thanks!
I am a big online fish buyer! Well not a buyer...a keeper....hobbyist..whatever. I buy 90% of my fish online because of unhealthy or unavailable selection at the lfs.

When you buy online you fork out money for shipping yes...but you dont pay the outrageous markup you do in the lfs...it seems to work out great for me...my fish are cheaper in the long run. Quality fish? lfs? LMAO!! Naw I did get some healthy otos from the not-so-lfs Petsmart...I had to drive to the "special" one with clean tanks and healthy fish. I am eyeing up some silver loaches with black stripes at my other lfs...I may be giving them a bad wrap but you sure as heck cant find any quality Discus or Apistos here.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 882

Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 07:17 pm:       

Ive pretty much given up on the the local shops.Ive found a few sellers online that will let me come to their homes if im willing to travel 300-400m round trip(I have) and a few others who say they have had great success shipping priority mail as long as its not more than 500 or so miles away.They will only ship priority part of the spring and fall so Im waiting somewhat patiently
Waiting will fill

Michael R. Monroe
Advanced Member
Username: mrmonroe

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 09:03 pm:       

Joy-- another place to check is www.aquabid.com. Read over the seller profiles and make sure you understand the rules for bidding on fish. I have had excellent luck buying from several people.
The following statement is true. The previous statement was false.

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8556

Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 10:21 pm:       

Need to be more aware of the free ammonia in the water that is shipped with your fish than with the fish that comes from the lfs. Also, you may need to be more cognizant of the salinity.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

Donna
Username: donna

Post Number: 504

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 08:47 am:       

I have ordered fish from www.thatfishplace.com and were very happy with the health and effort made by them to insure my order arrived with out losing any fish....they tend to carry fish that I can't find here in any of the lfs....

compensate
Username: compensate

Post Number: 154
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 09:05 am:       

How close are you to a decent LFS? Sounds like it might be pretty far. Maybe mail order is your best option. But . . .

As sully mentioned, my opinion is that shipped fish will be soaking in more ammonia than store-bought, due to a 12 to 24 hour trip in a small bag.

I prefer buying at an LFS for that reason, but since I have 3 VERY good ones within 50 miles of my home and 3 decent ones, I have a luxury that many do not. I don't mind paying a little more for each fish, because the sticker shock of overnight shipping prices is a bit too much for me.

To each his/her own . . .
What is popular isn't always right, and what is right isn't always popular!

Lisa Blair
Username: lkblair

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 09:41 am:       

"for East Africans: http://www.ohiexchange.com/armke "

FYI - Armke's is under new ownership and promises to be better than ever! The new website is http://www.davesfish.com

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 507
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 01:50 pm:       

I think my point was I have no fish to put in the bag from the lfs...so mail order fish is better then no fish.

I like thatpetplace.com I will make a pilgrimage to the retail store soon enough. Its not close enough to consider for every purchase. Its quite a trip for me....they dont have Apistos either and I got my Discus from the breeder they purchase from.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

Joy

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 06:41 pm:       

There's a petsmart about 45 mins away and a LFS right here in town that seems decent ( the only one within a 30 mile radius). I've seen his tanks a few times, never see any disease or half dead fish in them. Have gotten fish from him before that did well. So may just risk it to avoid the shipping cost.

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 901

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 07:19 pm:       

I would love it if there was a lfs within 100miles of me with a good selection of healthy fish but it turns out thats too much to ask.
Waiting will fill

Joy

Post Number: 95
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 09:22 pm:       

I know it shouldn't matter probably, but the main reservations I had about the LFS is the owner acts kind of snotty and I don't like dealing with him (praying for a moment he doesnt' frequent this board, lol). But I'm just buying fish from the guy, not proposing ;-).

Thanks for everyone's input.

compensate
Username: compensate

Post Number: 166
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 08:24 am:       

Snottiness comes with some arrogant LFS owners, but if the fish are in great shape and you only buy fish/plants there (and supplies on-line), go for it.

At least you have a LFS that seems to take care of its fish, poor larry has none. Sorry larry! I truly feel blessed to have several good LFS in my area.
What is popular isn't always right, and what is right isn't always popular!

debbs
Advanced Member
Username: debbs

Post Number: 1755

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 09:41 am:       

One thing I'd like to add to this subject.

There are so many awesome species of fish to be found on-line that you wouldn't find in the LFS's. I have 'never' had a problem with buying fish on-line (mostly from Aquabid sellers).

If I find a fish on Aquabid that I'm interested in, I first ask my LFS if they can order for me (to save on shipping) and if not, then I buy on line from aquabid.

IME Most LFS's will work with you, but if not, then try ordering on line. The extra cost in shipping is well worth the fish of you dreams.
Amazingly, It's not just fish!!
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Buying fish online vs. LFS       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration