Topics Topics Search Search      

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Need Quick Help Please!       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Christine
Advanced Member
Username: christine

Post Number: 1122

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 12:45 pm:       

I'm so upset.

I left the house at 5:30 yesterday and sometime after that, my youngest son decided to feed the tank an entire can of shrimp pellets. I didn't notice until 10:00am when I looked over and saw every fish in the tank but the pleco gasping at the surface. Even my loaches were dog-paddling with their noses to the surface. There was a mountain of shrimp pellet goo. My stomach turned.

Anyways, here's what I've done so far (44g tank):

-Removed about 15 gallons and replaced 5 twice over
- removed 5 gallons and replaced 5 three times now.

After the first replacement, almost everybody retreated from the surface. Good sign!

My thinking is to keep removing and replacing little by little until the foggy water turns clear from dilution. We're talking a 100% change over a few hours.

Would that be overdoing it? I don't know what else to do. I've been working on it for about 45 mins now. Everytime I pull something else out (i.e. a plant, a rock) more shrimp pellet goo is released to spread throughout the water and gravel. I'm horrified.

I'll keep checking back here as I go.
Thanks...

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 504
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 12:58 pm:       

This is when I would come over and let you use my diatom filter if you were my neighbor.

I dont have any other suggestions besides the obvious. Or going out and buying a diatom filter. Keep letting it settle then vac out the debris. Try to get a container for water going so you can treat it and heat it if possible. Get the large chunks out while you still can without breaking it all up.

Possible relocation?

There is going to be a serious spike from the excess waste.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

Shari
Ancient Plus
Username: shari

Post Number: 5694

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 01:01 pm:       

UGH......I hate when that happens.

Sounds like your on the right track. I would keep it up at least for a couple more changes so you can vac under EVERYTHING.

I had rocks that were covering food that I never saw. Then the tank clouded and I moved stuff....ICKY. Took a couple changes, but it cleans out.

Good Luck and keep us posted.
My Fish Tanks Are SPREADING!!

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 896

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 01:41 pm:       

Youre doing exactly what I would do keep vaccing and putting in fresh,cant hurt fish with clean water.
Waiting will fill

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8562

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 02:03 pm:       

gravel vac
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

Christine
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1123

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 09:48 pm:       

I'm pretty sure everyone will pull through... even the cardinals! After the boys' therapy this afternoon, I did one more 50% change and rearranged the tank a little. I figured i might as well change some things while I had everything out anyways. Its still a bit cloudy and I suspect I should do 50% changes every day for a few days?

Also, I take it I should probably fast them for a few days too?

I just can't believe they seem like they are going to pull through! I still "falafel" (haha)about the whole ordeal. Lock'n up the fish food for sure.

Thanks for being there guys:-) oh and thanks for your two cents Sully

Gopi
Advanced Member
Username: gopi

Post Number: 1819

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 09:55 pm:       

Oh Squishy ....

"falafel" took me awhile. I was picturing the food and going
There! You have a bigger tank! Will you stop plotting my death now??

Christine
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1124

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 10:29 pm:       

Yes Gopio. Thought I'd lighten the mood with a corny Siefeld joke. :-)

April
Advanced Member
Username: jumpingtadpoles

Post Number: 1378

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 12:11 am:       

Christine,

You asked if doing a 100% water change in a day, over a course of a few hours would be bad? No WAY, that's probably the best day in your fishes entire life In the wild they have constant new, moving water. Your fish are about to have the greatest week in their lives, first they eat until they are so full they think they are going to explode, of one of their favourite foods, and then get continual water changes! They are gonna try and talk your son into doing that again.
BTW do they dance more eagerly for your son then before?
Dream big, celebrate life, and never stop learning.

Christine
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1125

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 11:43 am:       

I really can't believe they are begging at all after that, but they are. My husband was likely at the computer when it happened, because a half hour after I left the little one went to another fish tank by the computer and pulled out a net to go fishing with. My husband took it from him and returned to his computer work. He didn't know anything was done to the tank. That means that this happened about 16 hours before I noticed it. Crazy.
I guess I'll fast them today and tomorrow. I haven't seen the pleco come out since the ordeal. I hope he's okay. I can only see him under his rock...

Angels breeding tubes are out lol

Shari
Ancient Plus
Username: shari

Post Number: 5700

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 10:41 am:       

That's so great to hear, Christine :-):-)
My Fish Tanks Are SPREADING!!
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Need Quick Help Please!       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration