Topics Topics Search Search      

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Oh, what to do...       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

molly b
Username: molly

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 07:17 pm:       

After reading lots and lots of things here about the "dreaded" golden algae eater, and seeing that everyone said they get big and mean, I thought I should look for a new home for my 2. I have had them for over 2 years in a 38 g. tank. Who knew when the store told me they would be great for algae, and when they were on sale for 99 each...you know the rest...
Was going to give them to someone, but worry that they will cause trouble at his tank (the whole sucking slime from flat fish thing- he has angels, that also just laid eggs...)
I only know of 2 fish stores around me, one does not take fish, the other will, but told me that if they have no suitable place for them they will FEED my guys to some hungry fish! ALso have read that most people find the local shop water to be bad, which would probably kill them anyway since I clean my tank (insert Sullys freshwater speech here!)
Since I have had them 2 years I feel some responsibility for them, and despite their bad rap I like them, never had a problem so far....So the dilema(s)...after 2 years I assume they are probably already stunted? (they are about 7-8"-ish)Is it too late to put them somewhere where of a proper size? I have had no trouble with them so far, never killed any fish or frogs, just sometimes zip through the tank fast and scare some fish, but have never seen them sucking slime off anyone. Will they get "more mean" when they get even older, or do they reach a "peak meaness"? If they do get "meaner", I have no idea where to take them???

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 903

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 08:29 pm:       

I think the most significant statement in your post is that you like them.If you like them keep them,youre unlikely to find a better home for them,if they do get aggressive give them thier own tank
Waiting will fill

Joe C
Username: joe

Post Number: 328

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 11:50 pm:       

Molly, a good rule of thumb is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." If you are not having any trouble with them, and do not have a good alternative for placing them, then keep them. If they develop into a problem, it will obviously change the situation. But for now, hang on to them until you find a suitable home for them.
Remember to recycle...scrap your warships!
(USS Nathan Hale, SSBN 623, scrapped on April 5, 1994)
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Oh, what to do...       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration