Topics Topics Search Search      

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Yet another cloudy water question       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

william kennedy
Username: reelbigphish

Post Number: 228

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 09:46 pm:       

Hi everyone. Hope your all doing well. I know this very question has been asked a ton of times, but I'm really stumped. The water in my 135 has become very cloudy over the last few days. The cloudiness is white in hue. Although the tank itself has been setup for only about a month now, the filters were running on other tanks for about a year prior to setup.

The tank is moderately planted with sand substrate. Tank is filtered by two Marineland 330's. Tank inhabitants are; approx 8 zebra danios, 2 cherry barbs, 2 common plecos, 3 bala sharks, 2 three spot blue gouramis, 9 black/white skirt tetras, 2 clown loaches and one synodontis catfish. I do weekly water changes of 50-70%. Just tested the water yesterday to see if maybe I'd set off a mini-cycle somehow, but ammonia=0, nitrite=0, and nitrates=10. The nitrates were actually lower than I've ever seen them. I can usually only get them to down around 20 or 30. I attribute this nitrate reading to the addition of all the plants.

Like I mentioned previously, I've read many cloudy water posts where cycling and algae or bacteria bloom were the culprits. However, I'm sure if this is to blame in my case. In an attempt to clear up the tank, I have added a pretty large amount of diamond blend carbon to both my filters, which I don't do on a normal basis. After a couple days this has shown little if any results. Could my tank be underfiltered? Do you think I should add a canister filter? I couldn't do it right away, but maybe after I save for a bit. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and for any help or advice.
"The stone that the builder refused, will always be the head cornerstone." Bob Marley

April
Advanced Member
Username: jumpingtadpoles

Post Number: 1379

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 12:41 am:       

I cant' help, but i want to wish you luck
Dream big, celebrate life, and never stop learning.

Michael R. Monroe
Advanced Member
Username: mrmonroe

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 02:02 am:       

William I almost think, just because of timing and experience you are getting an algea bloom they can look cloudy. Get a clear plastic or glass cup and dip it in the tank look at the water under normal light conditions. If it is green you have algea. If not I'm as stumped as you are.

WHat are the most recent additions to your tank and when did you add them?
The following statement is true. The previous statement was false.

Donna
Username: donna

Post Number: 505

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 09:27 am:       

William, don't know if this is any help or not but I finally cleared my tank up using a product called " B clear" Its a biological water clarifier. I have an earlier post "green water problem" and was ready to toss in the towel, give up my fish and put the tank away because no matter what I tried the water would be green within a day of whatever I did. I do a 25% water change and add the correct amount for my size tank and it stays clear.... I always understood that a white cloudiness was due to a bio bloom of sorts..... good luck

sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8572

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 09:32 am:       

have you changed the water lately. could be a calcium precipitate. in which case--it will go away one day.

green hue? give it time it will vanish.

what type of subtrate. a couple of the fish in there are capable of stirring things up.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

Randy
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 280

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 09:35 am:       

Here is a link to an ebay seller with cheap cannister filters.

I am using 3 of these right now, seem okay to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUARIUM-FILTER-CANISTER-JEBO-ODYSSEA-NEW-IN-BOX_W0QQitemZ77 56083616QQcategoryZ46310QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
If you go through a day without learning something new, you wasted it!

william kennedy
Username: reelbigphish

Post Number: 230

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 04:09 pm:       

Thanks for all the input everyone. I will try the cup thing Michael. Last additions where two black skirt and two white skirt tetras which were added about two weeks ago. My substrate is regular sand. Last water change was this past Saturday. Next one will be tomorrow before I'm off to the beach for a week.() Thanks for the link Randy. That's definitely the best price I've seen on canisters. That will probably be the direction I go eventually. Thanks again for the help.
"The stone that the builder refused, will always be the head cornerstone." Bob Marley
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Yet another cloudy water question       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration