Topics Topics Search Search      

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Something for everyone       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

April
Advanced Member
Username: jumpingtadpoles

Post Number: 1383

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 03:37 am:       

I just wanted to share with ya'll one of the best sites I have ever come across. I am sure that almost, and hopefully everyone can read something here that stimulates you. I have seen quite a few great looking articles, and of course some that are not so good, but interesting to read nonetheless...
http://www.aquarticles.com/index.html

Let me know what you think!!
Dream big, celebrate life, and never stop learning.

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6798

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 08:46 am:       

great site .. thanx.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

Shari
Ancient Plus
Username: shari

Post Number: 5701

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 10:43 am:       

Thanks, April. I'll have to spend some time there :-)
My Fish Tanks Are SPREADING!!

dan

Post Number: 6801

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 11:43 am:       

having had a chance to look over some of the articles on this site, i read the article on 'fish disease' submitted by Gerald Jennings. While I agree with much of what he has written, I find fault with some of his suggestions:

- Gerald states: I suggest setting up a fish medicine cabinet:

This is NOT a good idea actually. Medications do not last a long time and most have a half life of 6 months at best and that, only under refridgeration. One may go to his medicine cabinet and use medications that have long since expired and are of little value in treating a sick fish. Thus you may delay treatment long enough to end up with dead fish. It's always better to go to the fish shop and purchase 'new' medication (check the date) to insure maximum effectiveness.

- Gerald states: Change enough of the water to reduce ammonia levels to 1-2 ppm:

This level of ammonia, particularly in a tank with an alkaline pH, is VERY stressful to fish and will prolong or initiate the very diseases which this article strives to prevent. One should change enough water to bring the ammonia down well below 1 ppm.

- Gerald states: Change enough of the water to bring nitrites down to below 2 ppm:

see ammonia above. Nitrite is even more toxic than ammonia since it blocks oxygen uptake and can negatively impact respiration and asphyxiate the fish. Adding salt at 0.1-0.3 percent can mitigate this ... the chloride ion blocks the process.

- Gerald states: Aquarium salt (NOT table salt). Most table salts contain additives to keep them from clumping:

This is one of those myths in the hobby. True, most common table salt does contains additives to prevent clumping but these agents are in concentrations so small as to be insignificant with respect to fish toxicity. There's absolutely nothing wrong with using common table salt if that's what you've got handy. Note though, that table salt is only sodium chloride and while this may be useful for mitigation of some disease processes such as nitrite toxicity and ich, it is relatively useless for other applications such as creating a 'brackish' water aquarium.

- Gerald states: Improper pH for species:

For wild caught fish, this is a reasonable premise. The vast majority of fish in the hobby today however, are farm or tank raised and haven't seen the water chemistry that exists in their native environment for many generations. In that regard, there is no "wrong pH" for most of these fish as they are or will easily acclimate to whatever your water chemistry happens to be within reasonable limits. The primary consideration should be stability rather than tilting at windmills in a misguided attempt to duplicate what a book may suggest as the appropriate ph for a given fish species. Most books today simply perpetuate the ph myth.

- Gerald states: If pH is too high, "pH down" (phosphoric acid) can be added:

Terrible advice actually. Water chemistry is far more complex than this. moreover, what is the definition of "too high"? If one's pH is high, buffering capacity (KH) has much to do with this parameter and simply adding an acid will be a temporary measure at best and at worst, can kill your fish. The next water change will bring the pH right back up since the water chemistry seeks its inherant balance. The result is a "yo-yo" effect of rising and decreasing pH ... VERY stressful to fish. Typical "hard water" contains calcium and magnesium salts which exist as carbonates. Carbonates in solution exhibit a phenomona known as "buffering". When an acid such as "pH Down" is introduced to a water sample containing carbonates, the carbonates react with the acid and neutralizes it, releasing carbon dioxide and a small amount of heat. The CO2 is exhausted at the water surface and the net result is no change in the pH. Simply put, carbonates continue to stabilize the pH as long as they are present in sufficient amounts. The hobbyist then adds more and more acid until finally the carbonates become depleted, the pH of the water plummets rapidly and a fish kill may results.

some of what Gerald has written is typical of some of those 'myths' and misinformation one can find in the hobby today and you should always be careful about that. read as much as you can and form a reasonable conclusion based on a composite of information out there.

April
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1385

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 12:03 pm:       

Dan I completely agree with everything you have pointed out.

This site is a wonderful reference, however I suggest everyone take everything you read and compare to what you already know. If you are truely a newbie to this hobby, I suggest people collect information from many sources, and ask themselves "why?" to everything. "Don't use salt, why? don't adjust pH, why?" Dan has answered these questions, but you should get the idea. Doubt everything you hear, and then find out why that person said that. they could be right, they could be wrong, it's up to each individual to decide that for themselves.

Dan maybe you could email gerald, and converse about your difference in point of veiw, maybe you could change his opinion, and better the quality of care he gives to his fish, as well as the advice he gives?? his email: gerald@calypso.org.uk

dan

Post Number: 6803

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 01:13 pm:       

i've done that .. i'll let you know what he says, if anything.

dan

Post Number: 6811

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 10:37 am:       

haven't heard a word and frankly didn't expect to.

April
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1398

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 04:23 pm:       

LOL, oh well. Maybe it will show in a different article, if he feels like writting a new one...
Many of the things you disagree with are common myths and misunderstandings in the hobby. I am happy to have found a board that handles matters like this, to the science, and the experience of the proof. You all speak for what you believe, including you Dan.
It's plainly a no bullpoop board. AND it's encouraged here to read up on it ourselves. Don't believe us, go find out for yourselves, but thats not to say we won't say "we told you so"
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Something for everyone       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration