Topics Topics Search Search      

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * In praise of algae       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Lohnas
Username: lohnas

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 04:59 pm:       

OK, it's unsightly. And if you have a big bloom of algae all of a sudden, it's a good indication you've been delinquent in your water changes and/or filter cleaning. I have nitrate in my well water...phosphate too...measured 5ppm nitrate and 0.5ppm phosphate straight out of the tap the other day. These are called algae food, and I can grow some algae! Funny thing about algae as ugly as it can be, it doesn't hurt your fish. In fact, it consumes some of the things that do hurt your fish...namely nitrogen compounds.

Occasionally life gets hectic enough that tank maintenance becomes something that's hard to make time for, so during these times I put the scraper away, forget brushing my rocks and driftwood clean, and devote what spare time I have to water changes and checking the filters. I let the algae have a ball. I can't see my fish anymore, but I know they are OK, and the algae is growing thick turning all those harmful nitrogen compounds into proteins.

Now if I did the reverse? Diligently scraped and brushed the algae away, but didn't change water or check filters. The tank might look nice for a while, but what happened to the algae? It's now in the filter clogging it and rotting, which is producing those same harmful compounds it was consuming, if you had left it alone.

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 565

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 06:28 pm:       

Time to clean out my filters this weekend.

I read bluegreen algae isnt exactly good for your tank.

I run my diatom filter when I do the algae scrape. It catches most of it but alot of it is probably in the filters too.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

TruCelt
Advanced Member
Username: trucelt

Post Number: 1729

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 07:39 pm:       

It's a really good point - and one I've been beaten up for in the past! [snicker]

The biggest mistake folks make when trying to save a neglected tank is to immediately begin scraping the algae. (The second, of course, is to remove half or more of the water.) I think that in cases of severe neglect, it's most likely the algae that's keeping the fish alive . . .
I have great faith in fools; "self-confidence" my friends call it. - Edgar Allan Poe
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * In praise of algae       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration