Topics Topics Search Search      

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Very bad accident...help       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

molly b
Username: molly

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 08:44 pm:       

My friend from work just called me, bawling, she was doing a cleaning of her tank (has two of those black goldfish with bubbly eyes, and a dojo loach) One of the goldfish swam up the vacuum tube and got it's eye sucked out. Apparently the eye popped out like a marble, and now has a big crevice where the eye was, with a white thing in the middle. She said it looked like it was red and bloody, but blood was not coming out. When I called her back, she said that now it was not bloody.
What should she do now? I told her she may have to put the fish down, but she went almost hysterical. She doesn't have a computer, so I told her to hang tight while I ask...
advise anyone? Can a fish heal from something like that, or should I go over and get it to put it asleep?
(Aaahh, I can feel how bad she feels, it is making my stomach churn thinking of how that would hurt, poor fishie, poor her...)

Kelsey
Username: soggynacho

Post Number: 611

Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 10:16 pm:       

First of all, I can't believe the vac was strong enough to suck out its eye... jeez.
Secondly, I think the goldfish should be fine living with one eye. The key is going to be keeping the water extra clean until it heals. If she has a hospital tank I would definately do that and keep it nice and clean.

Gopi
Advanced Member
Username: gopi

Post Number: 1836

Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 10:23 pm:       

I actually have 2 fish missing at least one eye (one is missing both)

The "white thing in the middle" I would imagine is the optic nerve. The goldfish needs to be kept in some super clean water, preferably alone so no one can pick at it. Your friend could add some melafix to the water to ward off infection. Water changes will need to be done daily...
There! You have a bigger tank! Will you stop plotting my death now??

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member
Username: musicalfingers

Post Number: 1498

Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 10:26 pm:       

Yeesh, what kind of vacuum does she use?? I'd advise changing it, whatever kind it is!

Oh, and ditto what Kelsey and Gopi said.
Out of insanity comes brilliance...or was it the other way around?

molly b

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 10:55 pm:       

Oh boy, just got back. It is nasty! Where the eye was looks like a big round deep hole, looks like it goes half way into his head! Poor fish...
The vacuum is the kind with just a solid wide tube, then it narrows to the long clear rubber hose- not powered or the python or anything. I had a fish go in mine once, but I just jiggled it and it came out, it never went very far up. Maybe it was because the big bubble eyes? Those freak me out anyway. She said that the fish went right up the tube, but first she thought it was behind the tube, then realized it was in it, pulled up the hose to drop the fish out, the fish sank out of the tube, then the eye fell out into the tank, and (*to add to the extra horror*) the other fish and the loach rushed right over and ate the eye..eewwww...She said the eye was like a round marble, and it took her a bit to figure out what was happening, and then realized that is what was going on (she has white sand in there, so it stood out ewwwwww). She was freaking even more about the other two eating it, but I said it wasn't like we could do anything with it anyway, and at least we didn't have to pick it out of the tank. (ack) I think that has something to do with what happened, maybe those bubbly eyes are not set properly in the head of the fish...how "regular" eyes are fairly flush with the surface then sunken into the head, but these are half out already.
I am glad you said melafix, as that was the only thing I had that I could think of that would be ok with the loach too, so I already put that in. She only has the one tank, so I finished about a 50% change (she stopped after the eye incident and was too freaked to do anything else), then I put in the melafix. It was still swimming around, poor thing must wonder what the heck is going on...la la la...swimming, being sucked in, pop, can;t see, big owie...
I am going to have a nightmare about this for sure!!
Thanks everyone

Jeff L
Username: jeffedl

Post Number: 248
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 06:26 am:       

I remember reading once that the selective inbreeding done to create those big eye goldfish made the eye and supporting structures very weak. I guess its even weaker than I understood.

Poor fish! Poor friend
I finally realized having my full name on my profile was not not only unsafe in the technical world, it was also seriously nerdy.

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6808

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 07:12 am:       

this is what happens when man steps in and messes with the grand scheme. mother nature knows what she's doing and if we'll just let her do her thing, there won't be any fish with eyeball structures that are so weak they pop out, or fish with mouths so twisted they can barely eat, or fish with fins so degenerated they can hardly swim.

it's true ... man is the only animal that craps in its own nest. even birds are smart enough to hang it over the edge.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

molly b

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 02:57 pm:       

Thank you all for the help. Just got a call that the fish died, maybe it was for the best, considering that she said it was swimming sideways today, perhaps because the weight of the one eye was putting it off balance...or a plethora of other things going on.
I agree with what you said Dan, things are getting messed up. It's like the persian cats and bulldogs who have faces so flat that they get breathing problems, feeding problems, all because we wanted to see them look all messed up.
I think it is bad that they also give them names to trick people into thinking that they are not mutants of something else, but a real kind of fish...like "balloon molly" that look like they broke their backs, instead of "deformed breed of regular molly".
Anyhow, thanks for the help. I think that next week I will suggest returning the other fish, and I have a heater she can have, so she can go tropical, something without creepy eyes!

Gopi
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1841

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 03:02 pm:       

It's too bad about the fish dying, but I think you are right in saying it was probably for the best.

yes, those eyes are creepy. I saw one goldfish where the eyes were on the top of it's head so it could only see vertically yet it had to swim horizontally, I imagine that the fish gets migraines from hitting the tank walls so often.

Are you going to help your friend pick out the tropicals? Make sure she stays away from fish with fruit names (blueberry tetras, bubblegum whatevers) or other really absurd sounding common names...don't want to get any dyed fish after all this!

molly b

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 03:23 pm:       

They should call them "died" fish, since I read so many die to make them.
Yes, I will help her pick, a project for next weekend, instead of looking for eggs, we can look for fish! I called her back to suggest it, she is eager to not have to see the other black fish anymore, it reminds her of what happened, she feels sooo guilty about it. She knows about the dyed fish, we were talking about it before. Apparently there are ones with laser designs or something too...
Probably something nice, like endlers or guppies, easy to deal with, that have small eyes.
Maybe I should start a new post... about if you can just add heat and convert? Tank is 16g high, cycled (but with the goldfish, about 5 months now). Can the dojo stay? I have them in my tropical tank, but hers is in unheated tank, or will he get used to the warmth? Mine has always been in a heated tank and is fine, but not sure how you transition him, just put heater in and raise temp slowly?

Lynliss Almasy
Username: ravenlock

Post Number: 208
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 03:33 pm:       

Hey Dan, about the birds not pooping...
I beg to differ. :-)
I have 11 birds. 6 finches, 2 doves, 2 canaries and a green cheek conure. Only my parrot is smart enough not to poop in her sleeping area. They aren't in little cages either. 40" each pair.
All my finches and doves poop wherever they are. Including in the nests. I have to change them every 2 weeks because of that. Little dumb dumbs... :-)

Gopi those fish are called celestial eyed, as they can only stare at the heavens. I think they are freaky too. How would the breeder like only staring skyward...especially with no eyelids to protect you from light...:-(

Sorry about your friends fishie.

Gopi
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1843

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 04:46 pm:       

The dojo is cold water fish (right? right?) yeah, and apparently can get pretty big. What size tank is this?

How about some white cloud mountain minnows? They are small, pretty, and they do well in cooler temps so you might not even need to worry about the heater
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Very bad accident...help       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration