Topics Topics Search Search      

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * How do you get the good algae to grow?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Lisa Blair
Username: lkblair

Post Number: 29
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 10:52 am:       

OK, I know most people want the algae to "JUST GO AWAY!" but I'm having a bit of the opposite problem.

I can't get one lick of algae to grow in my 5gal, and I'd like a bit of the good green stuff in there to divert a little snail attention (they get snail cookies and occasional veggies, too). This tank has anubias nana and najas in it.

I will be upgrading my 10 to a 20long this week when I get my multies and BN. In my 10, I have the typical brown algae on the sides of my tank and a wee bit of hair algae on the plastic canvas attached to my filter (for flow control so the tank doesn't get pounded) and on an occasional piece of gravel. This tank has a few Val spiralis and water lettuce in it. The filter (penguin 150) will make the move to the 20, as will the Vals. I'm not sure if I'll put the water lettuce in or pull some najas from the 5. The substrate will be sand in the 20, and I will be adding shells for the multies, a small holey rock and a small piece of driftwood (hopefully I'll be able to hide it, as I don't really want to see it) for the BN. I'd like to encourage a little bit of green algae growth for the BN to graze on. Any ideas?

Thanks!

p.s. I thought about putting this in the plant section since algae is technically a plant, so if it should be moved, feel free to tell me to repost!

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6822

Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 01:12 pm:       

simple ... just decide you don't want algae and it'll grow like crazy.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

g3H2O
Username: g3h2o

Post Number: 305

Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 01:45 pm:       

Lots of light, no live plants to out-compete the algae.

My 10g has just plastic decorations and a betta in it, and you wouldn't believe the amount of algae that grows in this tank in 1 week. It does have about 2.2 wpg of lighting so I am sure that is helping.
- Mike in Arizona
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * How do you get the good algae to grow?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration