Topics Topics Search Search      

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Malaysian Trumpet Snails       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Carlo
Username: carlo

Post Number: 195
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 04:02 pm:       

There have been Malaysian Trumpet Snails in my tank practically since I got it, and despite warnings about how they multiply, they haven't been a problem. Lately, though, the increase has been quite noticeable, and if I'm not careful, it may turn into a problem. They also seem to suddenly be growing considerably larger. There have never been this many, and they've never been this big. Could this be related to going from a 10 to a 29-gallon?

I do NOT overfeed. The fish are getting no more food than they ever did.

Anyway, is there a way to keep the growth down? Right now, it isn't a problem, but I don't want it to turn into one. I REALLY don't want to squash snails. But I would like to stop the increase.

By the way, unless I'm crazy (and that is certainly possible) the snails imitate the otos I just got. They seem to hang on the tank and the plants right next to the otos, and at the same angle, like twins.

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6813

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 04:29 pm:       

loaches will get rid of them.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

Gopi
Advanced Member
Username: gopi

Post Number: 1842

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 04:38 pm:       

Some loaches will have trouble with the MTS because the shells are much stronger. I find that mine can only take care of the really small (couple mm long) MTS.

You could try picking them out, especially the biggest ones. Do the lettuce/broccoli trick. You might also consider feeding the fish just slightly less. If the snail numbers are increasing, that means there has to be food in there for them.
There! You have a bigger tank! Will you stop plotting my death now??
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Malaysian Trumpet Snails       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration