Topics Topics Search Search      

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Swordtail Breeding       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

SharkMan
Username: maniacalshark

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 05:38 pm:       

I am attempting to breed Swordtails. Wondering if there is anyone out there that has taken on this endeavour before and might have some helpful words of advice they would be able to pass along?? Would be greatly appreciated

Sam Lee
Username: shmeal

Post Number: 66

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 08:23 pm:       

Livebreeders just do their thing, you don't really have to do anything except make sure that the babies don't get eaten...aka lots of hiding places

maura
Username: quinndehart

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 09:04 pm:       

Agree with the previous post. However, my swordtails are sneakier than my other livebearers...guppies, mollies and platys look very obviously pregnant, and the females change behavior before releasing fry, so it's easy to move them into a nursery tank or some kind of net breeder/fry contraption. Swords seem to be capable of releasing smaller clutches of fry and being less obvious about it.

After trying lots of different breeding contraptions with varying degrees of hassle/success, I've settled on 'fry grass' at the bottom of the tank and lots of other hiding places, and making sure everyone else in the tank is well fed at the time a female is releasing fry. Result seems to be a pretty good survival rate for the fry and a mom that isn't really, really stressed out about being in the breeding contraption.

Your mileage may vary.

SharkMan
Username: maniacalshark

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 09:24 pm:       

Alrighty thanks... right now I have a bunch of hornwort and cabomba in the tank so hopefully there is plenty of space for the fry to be able to hide away.
BTW how many fry do you seem to get per brood??

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9919

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 10:12 pm:       

maura must have some unusual swords, mine routinely release 50-60, and there are some members here who have had over 100 in one release.

I don't keep platys, who also have small fry like swords, but have never had a molly, guppy or Endler's release more than 20 0r 30, probably because they are quite a bit larger than platy or sword fry.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

maura
Username: quinndehart

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 06:42 am:       

I *must* have unusual swords...largest brood has been 10 - 12, and I routinely get 30 or more guppies at a time.

Sam Lee
Username: shmeal

Post Number: 67

Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 09:58 am:       

argh, platys...the fattest fish ever known to aquarists.

Charlie Ashe
Username: charlie

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 11:37 am:       

For livebearing guppies, is a breeding net ok for the fry?
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Swordtail Breeding       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration