Topics Topics Search Search      

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Help, Is my tank big enough?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Charlie Ashe
Username: charlie

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 11:29 am:       

In my tank i have two 1 and a 1/2 inch bala sharks, 1 quite large gourami, one 2inch pleco, i black molly and 9 guppies (2 male). My tank is 24inches long, and about 66 litres. Is this ok or should i start saving?!

compensate
Username: compensate

Post Number: 201
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 11:50 am:       

Better start saving quickly!

Bala sharks can get over 8" (maybe more). Many, but not all, plecos get huge (12-24"!). You are probably overstocked already, even at their current smaller sizes.

Or, if you are not too attached to some of your fish, you could try to get credit at a LFS.

How long has your tank been up and running?
What is popular isn't always right, and what is right isn't always popular!

John D
Username: john_d

Post Number: 438

Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 01:13 pm:       

The Bala sharks can grow to well in excess of a foot each.

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6827

Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 02:02 pm:       

your tank is about 15 gallons and already too heavily stocked. bala sharks should be maintained in shoals of 5 or more and although they tend to grow slowly, will ultimately reach a foot. they need swimming room and ultimately, you should keep them in a 5 foot tank at minimum.

your pleco is likely to be a "common" and will also grow to a foot. moreover, these fish are quite messy and will overload the filter on such a small tank.

your black molly is a brackish water fish and unless maintained that way, will not do its best.

start saving immediately and get a second job. a 5-6 foot tank isn't cheap. you might be better off sticking with a few small fish which will fit in your tank.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * General Message Area * Help, Is my tank big enough?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration