Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * Snail safety?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Denise
Username: dee

Post Number: 508
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 04:44 pm:       

Hey girls been gone awhile but glad to be back and say hi.
I have a question I want to transfer my apple snails to my 30 gal to give them more room. Thing is I know there has been alot of MTS in my 30 gal. Will they harm my apple snails. My poor snails have been through so much I don't want to add more trouble to them.
I don't have a whole lot left I was having a ramshorm trouble everytime I cleaned I was digging out a 100 or more. No matter what I did they over took my tanks in no time. They were eating on my apple babies and destroyed there shells kept laying eggs all over them and eating off the trap doors as far as they could. I was sick and mad!
Stripped the whole tank threw out all my plastic plants, rocks and scrub down the tank.
I had to take my filter apart and scrub it down there were babies and eggs in side everywhere. I had to genty srub each snail individually to remove eggs. I was never so upset.
I didn't know that ramshorms would terrorize apple snails.
They also have taken over my 10 gal snail tank. Its horrifying!
I have new rock and will have to do the same thing to it.
The fish never were never bothered they have done fine. After I stipped the 20 gal tank the snails are crawling every where and in the week since I've done it I have 3 clutches.
I just have nightmares about being taken over by snail aliens again!
So, now you can see why I don't want to put the rest of them in a 30 gal with mts if it will harm them again.
So, now you know the trouble I have had since I have been gone. Not to mention a computer crash and a horrible teacher that has caused me to home school my 4th grade daughter. Isn't life fun!!
I'd love your help, thanks guys!
Fish, fry, frogs & snails galore.....Oh, how I wish I could have some more.....I'll just have to open a store!!!

debbs
Username: debbs95

Post Number: 1544
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 05:44 pm:       

Hi Denise :-)

I've never had problems with my MTS's and Brigs....(I've bred them in the same tank for years) yet there was a time that Shari had problems.

I believe it's a particular species of MTS's that do damage the Brig snails. A few other people on Applesnail.net also had MTS's that were Brig eaters!

Now I know that doesn't help you out too much, so my advise would be to try it out, keep a very close eye on the Brigs, and if you should see any holes (they look drilled into the shells) or MTS's climbing on them, then take the Brigs out immediately!!!

I've only read a 'few' reports on these MTS's so the chances are that yours are Brig Eaters are slim...very slim. Try it, I don't believe you'll have a problem.

Ellie Bryant
Username: ellie

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 11:28 pm:       

Okay...newbie, here. What is an MTS? We just "adopted" a snail for our 29 gallon freshwater tank. My daughter named him Gary (of course) and he shares the space with a pleco named Floyd and six Harlequin Rasboras. When we brought him home, he was covered in algae and the shell looked greenish-brown. He is now more gold in color with a pinkish body. I think he is an Apple Snail or a Mystery Snail? I am not sure.
"We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all have to live in the same box"

Gopi
Advanced Member
Username: gopi

Post Number: 1728

Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 12:49 am:       

MTS is either Multiple Tank Syndrome (not this case) or Malaysian Trumpet Snail. They kinda look like ice cream cones! They dig through the substrate and aerate it. Also, they are parthenogenic, meaning they can reproduce from unfertilized eggs, effectively cloning themselves, and are livebearing snails!

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/species-gallery/misc/tuberculata.html
(Hehehe, those are mine!)
There! You have a bigger tank! Will you stop plotting my death now??

Debra Ann
Advanced Member
Username: debraann

Post Number: 1050

Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 01:00 am:       

He is now more gold in color with a pinkish body.

That sounds like an apple snail to me.

Here's a picture for you to compare yours to.

**~I Have No Fears, Angels Follow Me Wherever I May Go~**
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * Snail safety?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration