Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * BG algae problem       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member
Username: musicalfingers

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 02:20 am:       

Ordinarily I wouldn't mind, I'd just scrape it off, but it's starting to grow on my snails. What can I do about it? Is it safe to rub it off of the snails with a paper towel or something? Is there any way to get rid of it easily, like shut the lights or change almost all the water in the tank, or something like that?
Out of insanity comes brilliance...or was it the other way around?

Karin
Username: autumn

Post Number: 1631
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 09:26 am:       

Are you sure you have blue-green algae, and not real algae? Blue-green algae isn't algae at all. It's cyanobacteria -- yes, bacteria. I'm guessing you have a film of green algae.

Cyanobacteria can be treated with erythromycin, but I'm not sure how safe the drug is for snails (most antibiotics are toxic to snails). If you just have algae, you can use a soft toothbrush, fingernail scrubber, etc., to scrub it off.

The cause of the algae is probably more of a concern. Overstocking and high nitrate levels are a common cause. Check your parameters.
Possibly, the truest test of one's capacity for compassion, is whether one can love a snail.

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 05:06 pm:       

I think I have both green and bluegreen algae, so would a soft toothbrush work okay for the snails? It won't hurt them or anything? I plan to do a MAJOR water change, by putting some water into another container, adding the betta, snails, and shrimp, and emptying the tank to give it a thorough scrubbing. Gravel too, the gravel is where the blue-green color really shows up (it's white gravel).

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9036
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 04:18 pm:       

BG doesn't require scrubbing, it comes up in sheets, wipes off the glass easily, even the gravel vac will pull it off the substrate.

It has a characteristic odor, too. Does your tank smell funny to you?

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Karin
Username: autumn

Post Number: 1635
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 05:18 pm:       

A soft toothbrush won't hurt a snail's shell at all. Just be sure you don't have any toothpaste residue in it. It's really easy to drop the snail, so you might want to hold it over a folded towel.
Possibly, the truest test of one's capacity for compassion, is whether one can love a snail.

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1170
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 12:57 am:       

Well, I took apart the tank and cleaned it, and yes it did smell a little funny. I've noticed that in my tanks, I get diatoms first, and if I don't remove those, BG algae grows over the top. Most of it came off easily, but there were a few green spots that required scrubbing (I know these were regular green algae, not BG algae). I also swished the gravel in water three separate times, until the water looked pretty clear. The tank looks really good, let's hope it stays that way!
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * BG algae problem       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration