Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * My first clutch - What to expect?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Hannah Johnson
Username: bambi

Post Number: 669
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 05:56 pm:       

Hi guys. I have my very first clutch! It was laid 2 weeks ago today. I've shown a picture to Shari and she says that it looks close to hatching, from the colour and texture etc. SO what to expect?
I have the clutch floating on styrofoam in a breeder box. i understand that when they hatch they will climb down into the breeder. How small will they be? Will i be able to see them easily? What do I feed them and how much? How often should I waterchange?

LOL sorry for all the questions.
"The girl with junk in the trunk will bunk with the best hunk!" - Amy Lee
"Shrimp Mom!"

Karin
Username: autumn

Post Number: 1633
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 06:32 pm:       

You'll be able to see them, Hannah, but they will be too tiny to handle. They will be about teh size of a guppy's eye.

If it's a true breeder box with slits for water to flow through, you needn't change the water. If it's completely enclosed, I'm afraid the little guys won't last long, no matter how careful you are about changing water.

At first, they will probably find enough bacteria and algae to eat. You can add a single fish flake or two, whole or ground up, but it need only be a tiny bit. It's very easy to overfeed them and foul the water when they are tiny.

Congrats on your babies, Hannah. :-)
Possibly, the truest test of one's capacity for compassion, is whether one can love a snail.

Hannah Johnson

Post Number: 671
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 06:46 pm:       

Thanks for the quick reply Karin :-)

It is a breeder box with slits, in a small tank with a box filter. I usually change about 90% of the water in that tank every other day, should i stick to that?
How quickly do these little guys grow? I'm so excited :-)
"Shrimp Mom!"

Karin
Username: autumn

Post Number: 1634
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 07:01 pm:       

Wow, if your tank is that small, you'll have problems as these guys grow. The warmer you keep them, the faster they will grow and the more they will eat. At 80 degrees, and with adequate food, they'll probably be pea size within a month. That's big enough to start finding them homes.

Your routine is good. Unless you can place them very fast, you'll have to increase your water changes to daily, or even twice a day, but for now that's fine.
Possibly, the truest test of one's capacity for compassion, is whether one can love a snail.

Hannah Johnson

Post Number: 674
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 05:35 am:       

Ok thanks Karin. Yep the tank is small, but as they grow I have bigger tanks to move them to until they are big enough to re-home. I keep the small tank at about 25 degrees celcius, all the other tanks are at 26.

Now I just have to wait... :-)
"Shrimp Mom!"
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * My first clutch - What to expect?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration