Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * Rams horn question       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Noah
Username: noah

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 01:17 pm:       

i have 1 ramshorn in my 5 gallon tank. i know that they are a "pest" snail, however the sucker really loves to eat my algae and i am pretty sure that the otos and corrys are eating the egg sacs, ive had the snail for about 4 months now and no babies running around.

i just wanted to ask, how many times do the ramshorns lay egg sacks? do they need a partner? how often?

oh and how much do ramshorns sell for, because my 3 gallon has become a breeding ground for them, i got 2 and they layed eggs b4 i moved one to my bigger tank and there everywhere, i was gona let them grow up and sell them to my LFS.
Algae is my tanks name. whats yours?

Jeff Lefkowitz
Username: jeffedl

Post Number: 159
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 09:09 pm:       

I hate to break this to you, but I'm thinking you won't make much money from the LFS. Mine sells them for a nickel each, and often offers them free.
"Peter, the fish did not bite you through the glass"

Noah
Username: noah

Post Number: 82
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 01:33 am:       

thats ok, still need to know the other answers to my questions though
Algae is my tanks name. whats yours?

Hannah Johnson
Username: bambi

Post Number: 679
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 04:08 am:       

Hey Noah, check out this link. If you click 'Photographs' on the left, then click 'Other Snails', then the picture of the Ramshorn.(scroll down to 'Family Planorbidae')
http://www.applesnail.net/

'The eggs of these hermaphroditic Planorbidae snails are laid in transparant clutches on plants, stones or other objects'
So I think you only need one to get more...

How often? Don't know sorry.
"The girl with junk in the trunk will bunk with the best hunk!" - Amy Lee
"Shrimp Mom!"

debbs
Username: debbs95

Post Number: 1553
Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 07:41 am:       

Ramshorns do need a partner :-)
Mine don't breed very often, but when they do lay eggs it'll be a few at a time. Then there's a period of non laying. (at least that's how it is in my tanks)

The availability of these snails in your area is what will set the price. My LFS was thrilled that I bred Marisa's and pays me 3 for $1.

Hannah Johnson
Username: bambi

Post Number: 681
Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 08:56 am:       

Oh i see, so a ramshorn is both male and female but still needs another ramshorn to reproduce?
"The girl with junk in the trunk will bunk with the best hunk!" - Amy Lee
"Shrimp Mom!"

Karin
Username: autumn

Post Number: 1636
Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 09:01 am:       

I think the ramshorns Noah has are Planorbids, Debbs, not Marisas.

It takes two hermaphroditic snails to lay fertile eggs, but each snail can fertilize the other's eggs, so both will produce fertile eggs from the breeding. Egg-laying is mostly independent of breeding. They just lay infertile eggs if they have no partner.

I haven't seen Planorbids for sale in a pet shop. All the pet shops I know consider them pests and give them away when they aren't discarding them into the rubbish bin.
Possibly, the truest test of one's capacity for compassion, is whether one can love a snail.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * Rams horn question       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration