Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * Sorting brigs       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Jared
Username: aquascales

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 09:46 pm:       

Hello everybody!
I have a large group of Brigs (45+) that are mostly about nickle size. They are a lovely mixture of dark stripe purple, blue, jade, blue with purple stripes and a few striped brown ones. There are only two light bodies, a gold and another gold with purple stripes. I don't plan on keeping them all (I'm not sure if I am going to be able to let any go...) but I want to keep a few of each color. How should I sort them into different breeding groups? Also, does anybody have any spare ivories or any other snails with light bodies?

debbs
Username: debbs95

Post Number: 1554
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 08:12 am:       

Welcome to Badmans Jared!

How should I sort them into different breeding groups?
I'd keep Blue's with Ivories and Jades and a few of your striped brown snails (Chestnuts perhaps?)

The ones you call blue with purple stripes sounds like DSP's with the blue shell but could also be Wild. Can you post some pictures of them and the brown striped ones? It would help :-)

At the moment I have Magenta and Ivory babies. If you're interested just send me a private e-mail.

Karin
Username: autumn

Post Number: 1638
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 08:34 am:       

Gold with purple stripes sounds like a striped yellow to me.

How you group them depends on what you want from them. Potentially, mixing your gold with purple stripes back to a purple striped could get you some light bodied snails (purple/magenta), and/or light or dark burgundy (as well as some less exotic colors). A blue to gold mix will give you lots of jade babies, and probably some blue, gold and ivory as well.

Hey -- pretty snails, Debbs!
Possibly, the truest test of one's capacity for compassion, is whether one can love a snail.

debbs

Post Number: 1556
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 09:10 am:       

mmmm I missed the 'gold with purple stripes' description somehow lol

Thanks Karin!

Jared

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 11:45 pm:       

Here is a link to a picture of a pair of snails that are siblings to my snails. Blue with purple stripes.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/closed.cgi?view_closed_item&fwsnails11388 47989

I am pretty sure that the the brown ones with stripes are chestnuts. I haven't taken pictures of the snails yet but I will eventually.

I would love to get my hands on some of your light bodied ones Debbs but I am going to have to first find homes for about half (probably more) of these snails. I already have a home waiting but I have never shipped snails before so it might be a while before I will have space.

I plan on using Karin's method to ship them (Safe Winter Summer Snail (and fish) Packing Method). At first I wanted to just let them breed with whoever they wanted to but I now want to try to selectively breed them so that all the color breed make babies just like them.

To be honest though, I do not know what I am going to do with all the eggs that they will be laying soon. I don't think I could ever bring myself to flush eggs down the toilet but on the other hand, what would I do with all the babies if I were to let them hatch?

Jared

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 11:52 pm:       

Oops... Heres the link again to the blue with purple stripes.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/closed.cgi?view_closed_item&fwsnails11388 47989

debbs

Post Number: 1557
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 08:31 am:       

My avator is of a DSP with blue shell. I really can't tell what the snail is in the picture thru you're link. It's possible it's a wild.....

If the snails are large enough, some LFS's (not the chain stores) will give you credit for them. Don't expect much per snail, tho. Good luck and e-mail me when and if you're ready for more snails :-)

Jared

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 07:34 pm:       

Your avator is what my purples look like. The blues with purple stripes look just like that but have a darker shell base that appears to be blue. All of these snails have pretty bad shells but their new shell growth looks very nice. I already have Tideline Coral Sand on the bottom and a cuttle bone in the filter. Should I do anything else? I was thinking Kents Calcium next.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * Sorting brigs       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration