Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * Golden snail       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Kristin McGinnis
Username: handtlkr

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 06:25 pm:       

Hi all!

Maybe I'm dense, but how do you know when a snail dies? Mine has been floating around for a few days now...actually, don't remember when it was latched onto the gravel last. I picked it out and nothing stinks sooooo????

Karin
Username: autumn

Post Number: 1650
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 04:34 pm:       

I'm sorry I didn't see your post earlier Kristin.

If it doesn't smell, give it some time. Floating is a normal apple snail behavior. Dead snails will float or sink, and sick snails will stay in one place a lot, or float, so it's about impossible to know until the smell gives it away.

You can try pulling GENTLY at the operculum (shell door) with a fingernail. If you get a reaction, it's alive. If the shell opens and the body extends easily, it's dead. If you neither happens, give it some more time.
Possibly, the truest test of one's capacity for compassion, is whether one can love a snail.

Kristin
Username: handtlkr

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 09:23 pm:       

Ok..I TOTALLY thought he was a goner. I decided to plunk him in my other tank and taaa daaa...he revived...at least for now.

Karin
Username: autumn

Post Number: 1652
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 08:22 am:       

:-)
Possibly, the truest test of one's capacity for compassion, is whether one can love a snail.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * Golden snail       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration