Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * Safe shrimp-keeping       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Ellen Frigo
Username: emfdvm

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 12:26 am:       

Hi - We have a fairly new 46 gal freshwater tank with an Eheim ecco canister filter. It has cycled and we're up to 6 zebra danios and 3 dwarf gouramis. We just ordered 15 red cherry shrimp which I'm sure will be small. My question is: how do we prevent the teeny little shrimp from getting sucked up into the filter intake? or just getting sucked up against it? Am I worrying for nothing? any help is appreciated? Thanks!!

Ellen Frigo

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 01:05 am:       

Adding another question -- my 8-year-old really wants to get an angelfish. Will a normal angelfish eat little red cherry shrimp?
Thanks.
Ellen

Hannah Johnson
Username: bambi

Post Number: 696
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 03:50 am:       

Hi Ellen. I'm pretty sure you can buy sponge at the LFS which fits over the end of the filter intake. It's a good idea I think, as I have had a shrimp get stuck to the intake before and it damaged it's legs.
"The girl with junk in the trunk will bunk with the best hunk!" - Amy Lee
"Shrimp Mom!"

Brad
Advanced Member
Username: brad

Post Number: 1620
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 10:47 am:       

If there`s lots of hiding places, the shrimp may survive the gouramis, but given an angels appetite, I`d skip him.
Ever feel like you`re flying and drowning at the same time?

Karin
Username: autumn

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 05:40 pm:       

If you can't find a sponge made for your specific filter intake, you can use a large AquaClear or Fluval rectangle sponge filter and cut a slit in it. It also works great as a prefilter to keep plant bits and debris out of your primary filter.

Cherry shrimp are tiny, and they'll breed in your tank, so both the adults and larva will be vulnerable to predation and filter accidents. Covering the intake is your best bet, and as Hannah says, skip the angels. I'm quite certain they'll eat your cherry shrimp, and I'm not convinced they won't take a few bits out of the rest of your fish too.

BTW, cherry shrimp will do best in a planted tank with hiding places. They'll need to get away from the fish and so on when they moult, and the larva will appreciate hiding places (small terra cotta pots broken in half work well). Good luck with them. They are CUTE little guys! :-)

(Message edited by autumn on February 24, 2006)
Possibly, the truest test of one's capacity for compassion, is whether one can love a snail.

Ellen Frigo

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 11:19 am:       

Thanks everybody! I called Eheim parts and the very helpful customer service man recommended the "sponge over intake" trick as well. I tried it and it's very easy to do. The shrimp are supposed to arrive today so we'll see how it works.
Also - do rainbows eat little red cherry shrimp? I'm realizing that by adding these shrimp we've severely limited our options for adding other fish - an unintended consequence.
Thanks!

Brad
Advanced Member
Username: brad

Post Number: 1633
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 12:25 pm:       

rainbows will eat them too. There`s not much that won`t eat them.
Ever feel like you`re flying and drowning at the same time?

Ellen

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 10:34 pm:       

They all arrived safe and sound today and promptly took up residence under the fake driftwood! We'll have to find them some new structures to hang out under. Even a zebra danio was trying to nibble on one until I tapped on the glass. The gouramis don't seem very interested. Will they ever come out? They were actually larger than I had expected, especially the females.

Karin
Username: autumn

Post Number: 1661
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 10:18 am:       

They'll come out when they feel secure, which may not happen while aggressive fish are around. Tapping on the glass will only stop the behavior temporarily. You may have a problem.

Mine seemed happiest when my tank was about 3" deep in Java moss. They climbed through it like a Jungle Gym. Lots of plants and cover will should keep them happy.
Possibly, the truest test of one's capacity for compassion, is whether one can love a snail.

Ellen

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 09:32 pm:       

Well they pop their little heads out now and then. We'll look into more plants to give them places to roam!

SantaClause
Username: stephen

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 10:04 pm:       

ive thought about getting some of those little guys. at my dentist's office they have like 4 or something like that in with some java moss in about a 5x4x3 inch box with no filtration or anything at all. it seems like they would die pretty fast. whats the min requirements on these guys?
"I say hello you say goodbye" The Beatles
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * Safe shrimp-keeping       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration