Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * Uh oh, so they get THAT big??       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Hannah Johnson
Username: bambi

Post Number: 698
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 04:29 am:       

Hey guys. Remember my huge fish eating shrimp?
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/7010/bigbugger7mw.jpg

Well, i was reading some posts on the dwarf puffers site and someone got to talking about long-arm shrimp. I googled it, and i am sure that is what 'Big Bugger' is...

Scientific name 'Macrobrachium rosenbergii', common name ' Pole Shrimp'.
http://www.shrimpcrabsandcrayfish.co.uk/Shrimp.htm?Longarm.htm~mainFrame
There are a couple pictures there, exactly like my shrimp except mine doesn't have the blue claws yet.

It got me quite creeped out lol. Information says they get to around a foot long, but I have seen people who own them say 2 feet is possible (eek).

Another site I found tells you about the different development stages of this shrimp, i believe mine is still in the first stage at 4 inches long, although his claws are getting very long. http://prawn-farming.com/biology-macrobrachium-rosenbergii.html

I'm moving him into a 60 uk gallon tank today, the largest in the house...hopefully grow him up a bit

So, anyone got any thousand island dressing?
"The girl with junk in the trunk will bunk with the best hunk!" - Amy Lee
"Shrimp Mom!"

josh
Username: guppiejosh

Post Number: 139
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 06:54 am:       

my friend has one with 2 barramundi in a 300-400L and it always trys to grab them lol its way to slow but and the barramundi dont seem to mind

Shari
Ancient Plus
Username: shari

Post Number: 5484
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 12:54 pm:       

Hannah, you MIGHT want to be careful....calling him "Big Bugger" could offend him and he will GET YOU
My Fish Tanks Are SPREADING!!

Hannah Johnson

Post Number: 703
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 01:35 pm:       

LOL! Stop it, he creeps me out!
"Shrimp Mom!"

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member
Username: musicalfingers

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 05:03 pm:       

The picture you posted looks like an amano shrimp...I don't see any red or blue on him. Did you post the wrong pic?
Out of insanity comes brilliance...or was it the other way around?

Karin
Username: autumn

Post Number: 1657
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 07:50 pm:       

I don't think that's an Amano. Spots on the sides are wrong, and it has stipes on the thorax.

The pattern on the thorax certainly looks similar to some others of the Macrobrachium genus, especially the "Indian Shrimp." I won't hurt your feelings if I tell you I think he's really ugly, will I, Hannah?
Possibly, the truest test of one's capacity for compassion, is whether one can love a snail.

Hannah Johnson

Post Number: 707
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 08:15 am:       

Music, I posted the correct picture, Macrobrachium rosenbergii in their first stages of life do not have the blue claws yet. They are clear first, then orange, and finally blue, spiky and huge!

LOL Karin nope feelings aren't hurt...i think he's ugly too, but don't tell him that! He'll get me! lol. He does fascinate me though, its great watching him hunt for food. Wasn't so great when he was fishing for my guppies before I put him in solitary though lol.

I'm not convinced he is an Indian Shrimp as he has already greatly exceeded the max size of 6cm, and the Indian's body looks quite stubbby... Who knows, time will tell. I'm gona feed him well and hopefully he will reach the next metamorphose stage in no time :-)
"Shrimp Mom!"

Randy
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 87
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 08:29 am:       

Hi Hannah,
Cool shrimp! I would love to see more pictures of him. Please keep us posted on his development.

Happy Shrimping!
Randy

Karin
Username: autumn

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 09:20 am:       

I'll be curious to see how he grows too, Hannah. I didn't necessarily mean he was an Indian shrimp, just that the similar striping might indicate he's in the same genus. In fact, I wouldn't have known there was such a genus if you hadn't supplied the link. You've obviously been doing your homework.

I'll be looking forward to seeing what sort of monster he grows into. Do keep us posted! :-)
Possibly, the truest test of one's capacity for compassion, is whether one can love a snail.

Debra Ann
Advanced Member
Username: debraann

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 12:06 am:       

I have considered purchasing some shrimp for a couple of my tanks, but now that I know some can grow up and crawl out of the tank and eat my children I've changed my mind.

LOL - Good Luck!
**~I Have No Fears, Angels Follow Me Wherever I May Go~**

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member
Username: musicalfingers

Post Number: 1265
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 02:59 am:       

Just get some ghost or cherry shrimp, DA. No worries there! Fish eat them, rather than the other way around...
Out of insanity comes brilliance...or was it the other way around?
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * Uh oh, so they get THAT big??       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration