Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * Is this snail a pest or helpfull in a planted aquarium?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Randy
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 08:17 am:       

Hi,
I'm not knowledgeable on snails. My only experience was maybe35 years ago when I had a snail explosion in my tank. Now that I am back into fish keeping and spending a lot of effort with planted tanks I want to attack problems before they get out of hand.
Here is a picture of what I have been finding in the top layer of gravel.
Pest or Helpfull?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Randy

debbs
Username: debbs95

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 09:05 am:       

It is a Malaysian Trumpet Snail. These snails serve a great function by not only cleaning up detritus but also turning the substrate (getting in the gravel or substrate and aerating it) making it a good envirement for plants to take root in. They do not eat live, healthy plants and get along great with all other snails in your aquarium.

WARNING: They will over populate your tank if you over feed = pests. They also tend to climb into filtration systems, sometimes clogging them up.

debbs
Username: debbs95

Post Number: 1560
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 09:09 am:       

Sorry missed the advice part

You're over feeding your tank if you've mounds of these guys on your substrate. Advice, cut down on feeding. I sell these guys on Ebay, so if you've experience on selling on Ebay....go to........ Home & Garden:Pet Supplies:Fish, Turtles & Frogs:Crabs, Snails & Algae Eaters

Sell all you can find in your tank! :-)
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * Is this snail a pest or helpfull in a planted aquarium?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration