Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * Crayfish tips?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Molly Black
Username: molly_b

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 09:26 am:       

Hello all.

I have "inherited" 4 crayfish (was told they are florida crayfish, just brown, maybe about 4-5" long, freshwater) They are happily living all alone because I could not stand to watch them grab their fishy tank mates (which is how they initially lived, and why they were given away) Not sure how old, but I have had them just under a month, they were at their old home for about a month too. They have a snail in there too, seem to ignore him, or he closes up when they climb on him. They all seem happy and healthy, have had a few molts, and seem fine. Have a tank with lots of rocks and a piece of wood, and fake plants. They climb all over and have now learned to come over when the top opens, knowing it is supper time! I was just curious about what other crayfish owners out there feed their crayfish? Also, how much, how often? When I got them, they were living off fish food and ,I would guess, the fish they could grab. They have crayfish/lobster food pellets they seem to like. I also know they love plants (since they ate them all, now have fake!) Once I gave them a small piece of lettuce, which they seemed to really like. Are veggies good for them to eat a lot of, are they kinds that are better than others? Are there ones that are bad ( I am talking green kinds of veggies here...as I figure leafy green would be the only natural type a crayfish would ever stumble upon, that they would never see a tomato or mushroom in their natural habitat...)
Do they need to eat other meats too? Their dry food has fish, shrimp in it. Also, do they need any kind of calcium or things for their shells like turtles and snails do?
I tried looking them up on internet, but there was so much confusing info, thought I would try here. (or else of someone has a great link to answer all my questions...)

Phew, lots of questions.... Any tips would be great. I love these guys ( I assume they are guys??) as they are so neat to watch. Want to be sure they stay happy and healthy!

debbs
Username: debbs95

Post Number: 1563
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 07:50 pm:       

I can only tell you what I feed my crayfish, I definitely am not an authority on keeping them!

I keep my dwarf crayfish in with applesnails only. I have found that even the smallest of crayfish will try to catch fish! Anyway, I add Kents Marine Concentrated Iodine and Concentrated Calcium to their water, for my snails that is. It doesn't harm the crayfish, but I'm not sure if it is needed for the crayfish either?!

I feed them Shrimp Pellets, algae wafers, earthworm flake food I bought from Kens, and Reptile Sticks. They nibble on the veggies I drop in for my snails, but they don't seem to enjoy them as much as the pellets or sticks.

I've had the crayfish for about a year now and they are healthy and active so I must be doing something right! LOL HTH

Molly Black

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 09:01 pm:       

Thanks Debbs. Are the reptile sticks the ones they make for lizards and such? ( I assume they are not MADE of reptiles, yuck!) Is the earthworm flake made for fish, or found in the reptile section too? At the fish store I only found food called "crab and lobster bites" (sounds like a yummy appetizer) , and they really seem to like that, but seems boring to only have the one thing to eat, day after day. I also have given mine the shrimp pellet and the algae wafers, as I have them for my tanks with fish. They liked them ok, but they really went in for the piece of romaine lettuce. I was just not sure if that is good for them, or what a balanced diet would be. The fish store was zero help, as their crayfish seem to live mostly on the dead (or not so) fish in the tank with them! Not about to feed them that, as much as they may like it!

debbs
Advanced Member
Username: debbs

Post Number: 1726
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 10:16 pm:       

Here's a great info link for crayfish. It also has additional links for info on crayfish that you'll find helpful

http://www.anapsid.org/crayfish.html

I buy the earthworm flakes from
http://www.kensfish.com/

I bought them for my fish and snails, but the crayfish also eat them. The reptile sticks are made for reptiles!! LOL

Amazingly, It's not just fish!!

Ron
Username: rockinrodent

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 12:06 am:       

I was feeding my blue lobster algae wafers, flake food, and frozen brine shrimp. But maybe you shouldn't listen to me, since I've had 2 die in 2 days. I doubt it's the food though.

Molly Black

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 10:08 am:       

Ron. Sorry to hear of the trouble with the lobsters. People without aquariums don't get how we can get attached to a fish (or in this case, lobster...) Don't give up, when they get going, they are so interesting to watch. I have only had mine a month, so sorry I have no real insite on them to offer you.

Debbs, that link was great. I still have a question, how much? They listed all kinds of foods, but no quantity. I am not sure how much food a crayfish needs. I know with fish that they say let them eat a couple of minutes, or watch for leftover food etc, but with my crayfish, they eat slowly. Do I put the food in for the whole day, or an hour, or???
Also, how do you put the food in- I tried a couple of peas, but they were floating, and I don't think everyone, like Brutus, the big guy, will get them...too lazy to chase food...Is there a way to make them sink or a special feeder dish?

debbs
Username: debbs95

Post Number: 1565
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 10:35 am:       

Try blanching all your vegetables before adding them to the tanks (microwave them in a tsp of water for 10-15secs.) They should sink once blanched.

My crayfish run out to eat and take their food away with them, after that my snails clean up. Since mine are dwarves (1 1/4" adults) and don't eat much, less then half an algae wafer, maybe 1 small pea, or have a shrimp pellet etc.

Try as little as possible and whatever is left over after an hour get rid of it. If non is left over, try a little more the next day and so on....HTH
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * Crayfish tips?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration