Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * 4 ADF and 1 is not the same       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Sallie C
Username: hope

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 06:17 am:       

I have 4 AD frogs 3 are brown, one is gray and looks like a little bull dog next to the others. The gray one is not a ACF the eyes are not on top. Any ideas.

debbs
Username: debbs95

Post Number: 1564
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 07:15 am:       

I'm not sure Sallie, I can only say that I did notice other members ADF's (in the Badmans' Picture Gallery) are different in color and shape. Anyway, are you able to post a picture here for us to see? That sure would help!!

(Message edited by debbs95 on February 27, 2006)

Molly Black
Username: molly_b

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 07:33 am:       

No expert, but from my experience, this is what I found...I have 4 of them, purchased at two different times. I have one that is almost black, 2 brown and a grey one with silver/blue eyes that seem to glow. The almost black one's head is more pointed than the others. One grey one is always fat. Two of them are almost 2 years old now, and have always looked the same as they do now (except they grew a wee bit in those 2 years) They all live together, all from the same store...

The fish guy told me that they can vary due to location they are originally from, diet, genes and sex. I read that the guys are usually smaller and flatter than the girls, as the girls need to hold all the eggs.
I recently saw the skinny one being, ahem, "friendly" with one of the chubbier grey ones, so I think the size variation is right .

Karin
Username: autumn

Post Number: 1665
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 07:53 am:       

I don't know about dwarf frogs specifically, but female frogs in general are larger and more rounded than males. Many species vary somewhat in morphology from one region to another, and multiple color morphs are quite common. Dramatic differences in the face shape would be less common, but for all I know, there are probably several species or subspecies of that particular frog.

If you can get a photo, it would be helpful.
Possibly, the truest test of one's capacity for compassion, is whether one can love a snail.

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member
Username: musicalfingers

Post Number: 1291
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 09:01 am:       

Three of these things belong together
Three of these things are kind of the same
One of these things just doesn't belong here
Now it's time to play our game....

Sorry, that's all I could think of when I saw the title of your post!
Out of insanity comes brilliance...or was it the other way around?

Sallie C

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 10:31 am:       

I just found the pad of paper with how to turn on desk top (no thinking like that) I will try to get a picture. But the Food and place of up bringing sounds good.

Sallie C

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 06:18 pm:       

I found out what the 1 frog is it's a H. Curtipes. Now I have to get a picture out.

Debra Ann
Advanced Member
Username: debraann

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 12:40 am:       

Here is the link to the profile for ADF's. As you can see from the pictures provided within, ADF's come in different colors.

All ADF's have webbed Front and Back feet. I also have ADF's that are gray, and a little black one.

http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile99.html

HTH :-)
**~I Have No Fears, Angels Follow Me Wherever I May Go~**

ursis46

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 05:45 am:       

Hi Debra Ann I fond the photo on http://www.davidcecere.pipidae.org There are two photos the 1st is the same as my browns and 2nd is same as the gray. Your little black one sound neat I want one too. I have never seen one or read about one. sallie c (name changes all the time now after the big move)

Karin

Post Number: 1667
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 08:53 am:       

Good research, Sallie! Here is some information from a couple of different sites that explains why there is so much morphological variation in African dward frogs in the pet trade. It would seem there are three species, from which there are many hybrids in the pet trade.

"In 1924 herpetoligists classified Hymenochirus curtipes and Hymenochirus boettgeri into two diffrent groups. Each had differing characteristics and requirements in the Congo regin. In 1959 a third species of dwarf frog was discovered, the Hymenochirus boulengeri. But by 1962 this species was considered to be just a crossbreed of the H. curtipes and the H. boettgeri.

Some people today don't think the H. curtipes exists or has ever existed. But they do! Most H. curtipes today probably do have a little bit of H. boettgeri in them from being mass produced for the pet trade. But everyonce in awhile you will stumble across a dwarf frog and think "what is that! It looks so diffrent from all the others!" That is probably an H. curtipes with very stong characteristics."

H. curtipes is much harder to rear in captivity than either H. boettgeri or the sub-species H. boulengeri. As of now I do not know if anyone is successfully breeding H. curtipes. I have tried unsuccessfully over the past year to obtain live Congo specimens. Though many of the specimens I have from India show H. curtipes traits, such as shortened limbs and snout, I have not been able to obtain a pure H. curtipes. Through selective breeding and controlled genetic colonies I am attempting to re-establish an H. curtipes model.
Possibly, the truest test of one's capacity for compassion, is whether one can love a snail.

ursis46

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 10:50 am:       

Thank you Karin, the frog has those shorten limbs and snout, I think I is out standing what you are doing if I could I would give you mine to help.

ursis46

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 11:01 am:       

Oh Karin I,am not a nice person, and my tank has had NTD and it dose not get in frogs. Read off Topic. And Iam forreal if you want the frog you can have it. just working out a way to get way be hard. sallie C.

Karin

Post Number: 1668
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 07:40 pm:       

I'm not doing the research myself, Sallie. I just used the species name you found and did a little search for more information. I think your frog will be quite happy right where she is. Thank you though! :-)

ursis46

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 09:29 am:       

Thank You for all the info. maybe when my tank is better I'll try to find a few H. Curtipes and see what happens.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * 4 ADF and 1 is not the same       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration