Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * Cherax Blue Lobster       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Randy
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 02:38 pm:       

Hi,
I'm thinking on getting a Cherax Blue Lobster.
I figure that when I get him he will be small so I was wondering do you think that I could keep him in a 15 gallon tank for the first year or so? I would be setting up a tank just for him.
If you go through a day without learning something new, you wasted it!

Karin
Username: autumn

Post Number: 1670
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 07:57 pm:       

I haven't found much on that specific species, except that it grows quite large. What I can give you is a little general information you might be able to apply to your situation.

With ample food and warm water, crustaceans tend to grow very fast, and they are often quite sensitive to water parameters, mild tank pollution (nitrite, nitrate, ammonia and others), stress, etc. I would suggest erring on the safe side and putting off the purchase until you have adequate space and a fully cycled/matured tank. I'm afraid that trying to cut corners will likely result in disaster.

Sorry I can't be of more help to you than that.
Possibly, the truest test of one's capacity for compassion, is whether one can love a snail.

Randy

Post Number: 133
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 09:05 am:       

Hi Karin,
Thanks for the response.
Here is a link of where I was planning on getting the critter:
http://www.azgardens.com/shrimpfactory.php

I general, I do plan things out and move quite slowly. The reason that I was thinking 15 gallon tank was because I was thinking tank bottom area so I would not need height. It was my impression that lobsters grew quite slowly after their first growth spert.

I don't have problems keeping good water quality and any fish ( which would be limited) in that tank would be expendable.

I look around to see if another tank size and shape will fit is some appropriateplace.

ron
Username: rockinrodent67

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 10:07 am:       

I agree with Karin, speaking from experience. I lost 2 of those beautiful animals 24hrs apart because my tank wasn't fully cycled. I'm waiting until I have 2 weeks of 0 readings before replacing it again. They are beautiful, and entertaining to watch. They also will try real hard to escape from your tank, so make sure it's closed well up top with no space for them to get out.

lewis russell
Username: lewisandlaura

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 04:41 pm:       

i have one of them for about 6 months now his shed his skin 4 times he is about 7"long and very blue i did have another one but he got out(cover up any tiny holes)his shares a tank with 2 ruby sharks 1 silver shark and a sucking catfish and kissing gourami all of them are in a 29 gallon tank for about a year all get on fine change 50% water a week no problems with readings my ph is abit high but its always been like that i think they like it its about 7.8 never had a fish die

Karin
Username: autumn

Post Number: 1671
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 12:15 pm:       

There seems to be some question about specific species of the Cherax in the pet trade. From the scientific articles I've looked over, I think it's probably Cherax destructor, from Australia. Unfortunately, none of those articles include any information on keeping them in an aquarium.

This site: http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/show_article.php?article_id=432 says they get to be 8" long. Interesting that AZ Gardens says you can stock one per 5 gallons. That sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. This site: http://www.aqua-terra-vita.com/CrayfishWP/CheraxBlueMoonCare.html says one per at least 10 gallons, so your 15-gal should work.

You can increase that bottom area with lots of rocks (carefully stacked and epoxied so they don't fall on him) and driftwood. Sounds like you've done your research, so anything else I tell you is likely information you can, or have already, found on your own. :-)
Possibly, the truest test of one's capacity for compassion, is whether one can love a snail.

Mike DiFilippo
Username: fishyman

Post Number: 105
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 03:07 pm:       

my girlfriend has one, they do get big fast, she got it in mid summer it was bout 2" long now its at least 5" long. What shes told me theyr not to much work and its in a 10G and it seems happy. sorry cant help anymore
20G-1dwarf gourami (soon 2), 2 swordtails, 2 corys, 2 shrimp, 4 danios, 6 neons| 10G-6Black neons, 2 white clouds (more coming)

Plazma
Username: plazma

Post Number: 57
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 03:42 pm:       

i'm curious i would have figured they would eat other tank inhabitants?

lewis russell
Username: lewisandlaura

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 02:54 am:       

answer to plazma they do eat other fish make sure you have middle or top swimmers or fish that can look after its self ie sharks they are not fast enough to catch them he has a go at the sucking catfish now and then when his on the bottom of the tank but its to fast for him to catch plus his 15" long i surpose where i got the lobster as a baby they have all learn to get on together people say silver sharks eat other little fish and should not be put together but my silver sharks best mate is a guppy i swear someone has clued him to his side they are always swimming together people say you should not keep sharks together cause they fight all the time mine dont again i bought them when they was babys

Randy

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 08:05 am:       

Hi,
Thanks for all the responses. Karin, I did see one of those web pages before, and the other of interesting as well.

When I get one ( probably in April) I'll post some pictures.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * Cherax Blue Lobster       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration