Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * So I have an ADF now...       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member
Username: musicalfingers

Post Number: 1336
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 12:17 am:       

I named him Avis, because he was a "rental" frog...but he's just so cute I want to keep him! So...how exactly do I feed him? I have betta bits, tropical fish flakes, shrimp pellets, and tubifex worms. I had to put him in the 2.5 gallon with Herbie and Carl for the moment, because I don't trust Alexander with anything besides his little snails after what he did to Carl. I have a 20 gallon high tank that I'm planning on moving Avis to next week (after my speech); would he be okay grabbing whatever floated around the tank?
Out of insanity comes brilliance...or was it the other way around?

debbs
Username: debbs95

Post Number: 1575
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 06:04 am:       

From my own experience (which isn't much) I don't believe they will eat floating food. I have to feed mine with the 'dropper' or else he doesn't eat. Mine eats frozen bloodworms, frozen mysis shrimp and shrimp pellets (I think? if he's not eating it them he's messing around in it!) I'm trying to get him some live foods such as brine shrimp or blackworms. :-)

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1340
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 11:37 am:       

Will sinking shrimp pellets work? I'll try dangling some food near his little mouth.

Shari
Ancient Plus
Username: shari

Post Number: 5532
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 12:25 pm:       

One thing to be aware of, Music....These frogs don't have a tongue. They "suck" in food, much like fish. In otherwords, be careful of the size of the food you put in.

I feed mine HBH Frog & Tadpole Bites, along with frozen bloodworms and flake food. I ran out of the bites once, so they got bloodworms for about a week.....silly things got spoiled and wouldn't eat their bites after that
My Fish Tanks Are SPREADING!!

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 02:27 am:       

How high of a tank can I put him in? I've heard no higher than 18", but then a website said no higher than 12"...

breezey
Username: breeze1770

Post Number: 259
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 09:00 am:       

I try to keep mine in no higher than 12" tanks. They can probably make it to the top of an 18", but I'm always concerned they'd get stuck on the way up and drown.
<--paranoid:-)
They really won't do well trying to scarf random food that makes it to the bottom. If there are other fish that eat off the bottom at all(and most will pick at it even if they are top feeders), they'll probably get the food first. It takes these little guys a bit of time to zero in on the food and get it down. So I'd recommend feeding your fish floating food on one side of the tank, and your froggy something quick sinking on the other end. Additionally, frogs are carnivors strictly. The veggi matter in most tropical fish foods is of no use to them. Tey need meat.
Mine happily gobble up bloodworms and HBH tadpole bites. Tiny tiny pieces of ground beef or chicken livers are a prized treat! They will also eat any fish food that is small enough and makes it to the bottom. The shrimp pellets I have are too big, but it doesn't stop them from trying and makeing a mess.... I'm not sure if any makes it in though...

They love plants! Mine will lay out on the anacharis all day long... And the anubias in there has become a lilly-pad.
No fish were harmed in the makeing of this icon.;)

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 11:30 am:       

Aww, how cute!! :-) I have both anacharis and anubias in my 20 gallon tank, but I also have bottom feeders. So would he be okay to stay in my 2.5 gallon with Herbie (betta) and Karl (brig)? I do VERY frequent water changes to keep the water clean.

Shari
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 5544
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 11:34 am:       

Music, check this out.

http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/species-gallery/gallery_main.html/photo-gallery/displayimage.php?album=101&pos= 8

Not saying it will always work, but it can :-)

g3H2O
Username: g3h2o

Post Number: 270
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 11:38 am:       

I won't ask what that frog is doing...
- Mike in Arizona

Shari
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 5545
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 11:50 am:       

He's giving his friend a HUG.....

Get your mind back where it belongs....or is it there???

breezey
Username: breeze1770

Post Number: 260
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 03:22 pm:       

As far as a betta and snail as tank mates, yes.. as long as you make certain Avis is getting some good food, he should be fine shareing a tank with a betta and a snail. Although 2.5g is really small, if you keep up with he water it will probably be o-k. Avis would probably like some buddies though. So if you could switch them to at least a 5g, it would be much better. They are cute hanging out together... eating eachothers feet..lol..

and holy cow that is a cute pic! although it looks really bad, there are times you'll see ADFs in that same position with nothing "under" them.
No fish were harmed in the makeing of this icon.;)

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 08:18 pm:       

Can't upgrade, unfortunately. The other options are my 20 gallon high community tank, and my 10 gallon spixi hatchery that has the more aggressive betta in it. He kept attacking my brig, Karl, so I had to move him in with Herbie. He's got chips on his spire like that purple one does from Alexander bashing him all the time...and i'm preeeety sure Alex ate the ghost shrimp that was in the tank, too. So i wouldn't really trust that tank for a froggie...

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1369
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 12:43 am:       

Well, I know he's eating! His little belly is swollen out, the little pig! :-)

Mike
Username: gudcop

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 06:00 pm:       

I guess I just have some crazy ADF's or something! I have never had a problem feeding them. I have them in my tank with the rest of my fish and feed them frozen bloodworms that I have thawes every 3 or 4 days and they eat always seem to get enough. Also, when I put in sinking pellets for my corries or ottos, I have to break them up cause one of my ADF's will lay on top of it till it gets soft, not letting the others get to it! Crazy frog!

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1464

Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 08:25 pm:       

LOL, I have to do the same thing Mike, but for a different reason. Since I have a snail in the tank as well, he'll go over and completely cover the shrimp pellet when he's eating, and little Avis won't get any more! :-) I've taken to dropping in two smaller ones so that they each get fed.

ron
Username: rockinrodent67

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 01:39 pm:       

Hmm.. I have 4 adf's, 2 ivory snails, and a betta in a 10g tank. They get algae wafers, frozen brine shrimp, and betta pellets. I have yet to see the betta eat the pellets. But everyone loves the frozen shrimp. They just rip it apart. The wafers are for the snails, but I've seen the betta peckin at it too.

Debra Ann
Advanced Member
Username: debraann

Post Number: 1063

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 06:02 pm:       

ADF's are aggressive eaters!

My 4 are in a 20 long with guppies, brigs, platy, & one blind cave fish.

I do try to drop food on their heads or at least near them.

They search out any uneaten food just like fish do.

I over fed mine when I first got them because I was so afraid "from reading other web sites" that they would STARVE to death.

After observing them eat - I laughed at myself and do not over feed any more.

My guys/girls are fat and healthy.

The only food they come to the top of the water to eat are Tubiflex cubes. That's just because they love them so much.

In general they search the bottom until not another bite of food can be found.

They will eat almost anything, and you have been given may good ideas about different types of food to feed them.

*I'm not saying it won't work, but a 20 high may be too high.

HTH - Have fun

Buy a 5 gal. set up, and get him a friend. :-)
**~I Have No Fears, Angels Follow Me Wherever I May Go~**
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * So I have an ADF now...       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration