Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * Snails, crustraceans, fish, calcium?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

ron
Username: rockinrodent67

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 12:20 pm:       

Greetings.

I have some snails in my tank that have damaged/cracked shells. I read, possibly here, that adding liquid calcium to the tank will help snails grow shells. So, the lfs recommended Kent Marine's Liquid Calcium, but only use 1/4 dose for freshwater. This product contains calcium chloride. I read elswhere, that calcium chloride is harmful to crayfish. They recommended grinding up eggshells and putting that in.

So here's my question to you folks:

What's safe for crays, fish, and snails, and will help snails and crays grow health shells/extoskeletons? Has anyone ever used eggshells?

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9463
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 01:00 pm:       

Eggshells are made of CaCO3....in other words, calcium chloride.

The real question is will the crayfish/snails eat the eggshells...or their own sheds for that matter? As far as I know, simply sharing the tank with them won't help, as they don't dissolve readily in tank water.

Until a snail guru posts otherwise, my best guess is it would be preferable to cover both bases by adding the liquid supplement to the tank and feed them a variety of foods that are high in elemental calcium.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Randy
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 146
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 01:04 pm:       

Hi,
You could look here, I found this interesting reading.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/PlantedTksSubWebIndex/fwshrimpfaqs.htm
If you go through a day without learning something new, you wasted it!

Gopi
Advanced Member
Username: gopi

Post Number: 1696
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 01:25 pm:       

Um...cindy...CaCO3....in other words, calcium chloride.

There's no chlorine there...That's calcium carbonate.
There! You have a bigger tank! Will you stop plotting my death now??

Karin
Username: autumn

Post Number: 1672
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 01:45 pm:       

I think Cindy covered the subject better than I can, except that I know egg shells are sometimes used for snails. Whether they do any good, I don't know. I think Cindy is probably right.

We tend to get overly concerned about added calcium. In most cases it's not necessary. Whether your snails will benefit from it depends largely on whether they have adequate calcium now. If you decide to add calcium to the water, make sure you monitor pH every day, and don't overdo it. Calcium supplements can significantly reduce pH, which will cause far greater problems. To be sure they get enough calcium in the food, be sure to feed them a variety of blanched vegetables from the list below:

Vegetables Calcium per 100 gram serving:

Dill Weed 208 mg
Turnip Greens 190 mg
Collards 145 mg
Parsley 138 mg
Kale 135 mg
Watercress 120 mg
Beet Greens 119 mg
Chinese Cabbage 105 mg
Mustard Greens 103 mg
Chicory Greens 100 mg
Spinach 99 mg
Okra 81 mg
Leaf Lettuce 68 mg
Cilantro 67 mg
Purslane 65 mg
Endive 52 mg
Swiss Chard 51 mg
Broccoli 48 mg
Cabbage 47 mg
Rutabaga 47 mg
Brussel Sprouts 42 mg
Celery 40 mg
Sweet Potato Leaves 37 mg
Green Beans 37 mg
Romaine Lettuce 36 mg
Parsnips 36 mg
Head Lettuce 32 mg
Alfalfa Sprouts 32 mg
Squash (winter, all varieties) 31 mg
Turnip 30 mg
Carrots 27 mg
Kohlrabi 24 mg
Sweet Potato 22 mg
Cauliflower 22 mg
Asparagus 21 mg
Pumpkin 21 mg
Squash (summer, all varieties) 20 mg
Beets 16 mg
Cucumber (with skin) 14 mg
Red and Green Peppers 9 mg
Tomato 5 mg
White Corn 2 mg
Possibly, the truest test of one's capacity for compassion, is whether one can love a snail.

ron
Username: rockinrodent67

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 01:24 pm:       

Wow, that's some menu! What quantity do you recommend for 6 snails?

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9468
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 04:02 pm:       

Sorry, Gopi, a brain fart.

I had one minute of lunch left when I typed that and by the time I got back and saw my dumb mistake the board was locked up and I couldn't reply. Doh!

I don't have a clue what I was thinking...

The real question is why is CaCl, the same stuff water softener and driveway salt is made of, in Kent's? Is that a useful form of calcium for any inverts? I understand that CaCO3 may be even harder to use, but at least it isn't salt. Any research out there on the best compound to use to allow the snails, shrimps and crays the elemental Ca they need?

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

TruCelt
Advanced Member
Username: trucelt

Post Number: 1699
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 04:31 pm:       

I don't know about the inverts, but in case it helps: for humans the best is Calcium Citrate, distant second is Calcium Carbonate.

Fr. Ted: You know the phrase 'to take care of something'? Well, I realise now that you meant that in a sort of Al Pacino way. . . Whereas I was thinking more along the lines of Julie Andrews. . .

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9469
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 05:16 pm:       

I'm 48, so I appreciate that info even if it doesn't apply to the inverts. I'll needing to know that soon enough...

Funny coincidence...my most easily absorbed form of iron is ferrous citrate too.

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * Snails, crustraceans, fish, calcium?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration