Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * Snail Reproduction 101       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Lori
Username: lori

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 06:17 pm:       

I just set up a 6 gal aquarium in my kitchen, and my original plan was to put 3 fancy male guppies in it. I might still do that, but now I'm thinking how pretty a Betta would be in there. I'd like to have more than one thing in the tank, though, so I thought about adding an ADF, and/or a snail. Problem is that a couple of years ago I got overrun with pond snails in my 25 gal to the point where I actually shut the aquarium down & sold it. Even my Yoyo Botia couldn't keep up with them.

So here's my question - if I add just 1 snail, am I safe from snail babies?

Gopi
Advanced Member
Username: gopi

Post Number: 1700
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 06:29 pm:       

it depends on the snail...
if you are addong a brig, you should be just fine
There! You have a bigger tank! Will you stop plotting my death now??

Karin
Username: autumn

Post Number: 1673
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 08:12 pm:       

Pest snails, e.g., pond snails (Physids) and ramshorns (Planorbids) are hermaphroditic, so any two can fertilize each other's eggs. MTS (trumpet snails) are parthenogenetic, meaning they are all females that reproduce without mating, so just one can make more.

Most "pet" snails, like apple snails and nerites, are dioecious. In other words, it takes a both a male and female to produce fertile eggs. Female apple snails can, however, produce fertile eggs several months after mating. If you want to be sure your snail doesn't reproduce, purchase it before it reaches nickel size. Then you can be reasonably sure it hasn't yet mated. If you get a Pomacea bridgesii (also called mystery, gold, black or Inca apple snail or "brig") or P. canaliculata (giant or channeled apple snail or "cana"), it will lay large, conspicuous egg masses above the water line. These can be easily removed. If you choose another apple snails species, such as Asolene spixi or Marisa cornuarietis (giant or Columbian ramshorn), it will attach its eggs to plants and other material below the waterline, making it just a bit harder to locate the clutches.
Possibly, the truest test of one's capacity for compassion, is whether one can love a snail.

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member
Username: musicalfingers

Post Number: 1363
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 08:19 pm:       

If you want a spixi, let me know! :-)
Out of insanity comes brilliance...or was it the other way around?

Gopi
Advanced Member
Username: gopi

Post Number: 1701
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 09:14 pm:       

Music, you just aren't giving up on that are you??

Karin, nice to see you :-) For a moment, because I'm quite sleep deprived, I thought you said apple snails and nerites are "delicious"

Lori: in case you have a cana, you should know they get HUGE and will be too big for that 6 gallon :-) (trust me, I had a full sized one in a 5 hex for before rehoming it in a 55). They are huge poopers too! If you have an apple snail that has cool colors, it's likely a brig. If you aren't sure, you can go to applesnail.net and poke around :-)
There! You have a bigger tank! Will you stop plotting my death now??

Lori
Username: lori

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 09:46 pm:       

I was afraid that some of them might be able to reproduce on their own. Thanks, guys! This info is great!

Jeff Lefkowitz
Username: jeffedl

Post Number: 216
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 05:26 pm:       

Gopi, I was just about to write the same thing!!!!

"Peter, the fish did not bite you through the glass"
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * Snail Reproduction 101       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration