Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * Apple snail clutch stiff!       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Kimberly Reynolds
Username: kim23il

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 03:58 pm:       

Ok well I finally got an apple snail clutch after it was in transit for 4 days. Well it arrived stiff and kinda whitish. The paper towel is was wrapped in is still kinda moist. I was wondering if the clutch will be ok? I dunked it in water and set it up on the plastic grid. I made a table out of plastic grid craft stuff. then set it in a little storage box with a lid. Also have a lamp on sitting near it.. Will it be ok? PLease help me

Shari
Ancient Plus
Username: shari

Post Number: 5582

Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 04:29 pm:       

OH, be careful, Kimberly.....they can drown.

If it's dry/stiff and sort of chalky/white looking, it's probably real close to hatching. I know a lot of people mist their clutches, but mine all drown when I do, so I stopped.

Just keep it warm, and add some water underneath the rack that you set it on for air moisture. Should be fine :-)

OH, and Welcome :-):-)
My Fish Tanks Are SPREADING!!

Karin
Username: autumn

Post Number: 1674

Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 04:31 pm:       

Float it on a piece of styrofoam in a couple of inches of water in a butter dish or similar container. No need to poke more than a couple of needle holes in the lid. Keep it somewhere where it will stay between 75 and 85 degrees and it should hatch within about 3 weeks.

Brig clutches harden and turn whitish after they are laid. It's normal. As the embryos develop, the clutch becomes even more white and gets very fragile as the baby snails begin eating their way out of the eggs.

They should be fine, but it's not unusual for clutches not to hatch, so if you don't get any babies, don't blame yourself or the seller. These things happen.

Good luck!
Possibly, the truest test of one's capacity for compassion, is whether one can love a snail.

Kimberly Reynolds

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 04:24 pm:       

OK so I'm anxious. The new clutch I bought online-some of the bubbles are brownish and some of the other bubbles look like they have little bubbles within them. Do i make sense? I have been wetting my finger and rubbing it lightly on top of the clutch. Does this mean it will be hatching soon? THanks

Shari
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 5603

Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 04:44 pm:       

Let's see if this helps Kimberly :-)

This clutch had just started hatching...see the little guys on the bottom?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/Mamaschild/Oddballs/04_12_18ClutchHatch.j pg
Here's a group shot. The above clutch is on the far right.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/Mamaschild/Oddballs/04_12_18AllClutches.j pg

Did that help??? :-)

Kimberly Reynolds

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 04:55 pm:       

Yes. A few of the eggs have been poped? It was like that when the clutch arrived. Some of the eggs are brownish colored. So my look like they have gas bubbles inside. Just wanting to know, if time is getting close. I emailed the shipper to see when the clutch was laid but no response. I know it has been over a week. thanks Shari

Shari
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 5604

Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 05:18 pm:       

Ok the popped ones are no good, probably damaged by the shipper or in shipping. "Normally" any that stay the color they are when laid are no good. You mention a bubble inside.....that's probably the baby pulled away from the outer shell :-) You can see that in the first pic of my clutch.

They normally take about 3 weeks to hatch, give or take. Can take longer.

Ok, now look at the second pic....see the two touching on the top right? The lower of those two is still the color it was when laid....it didn't hatch at all. That's an infertile clutch. They just don't change.

Just noticed a Boo Boo in my last post....the clutch in the first pic is on the LEFT in the second pic

Kimberly Reynolds

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 01:08 pm:       

Shari I got a baby, man they are so tiny. I only got one. I made the hatchery out of the DYI section on apple snail.net. THe baby is still on the plastic grid. I barely touched him to make sure its a snail and not just a shell. I crumbled 2 fish flakes in the bottom water in the container. Any thing else I should do?

Shari
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 5606

Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 12:10 pm:       

Congratulations "Mama" :-):-)

Not really....just give them a day or so to hatch out. Then enjoy If you think they are "stuck", you can help them hatch by swishing the clutch in the water. But give them a chance, first :-)
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * Apple snail clutch stiff!       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration