Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * Uh Oh ....       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Lori
Username: lori

Post Number: 72
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 07:59 pm:       

I decided on a Betta and 2 ADF's for my 6 gal Eclipse tank so far - BUT - when I got them home & released them, the Betta attacked the smaller ADF. He doesn't mess with the larger one, but the little guy is hiding under the plants now & I'm afraid he won't come up for air for a while. I want to watch them for a day & see how it goes, but if he won't leave the little guy alone, I'll either re-home the little frog with my Administrative Assistant, or will move the Betta to a different tank by himself. If I do that, how do Guppies get along with ADF?

I also found a beautiful snail at PetsMart (the other guys came from a LFS) - a black Brig, but there were 3-4 dead ones in the tank with it so I didn't buy it. I won't buy fish from tanks with dead ones in them, and I assume that it's the same for snails, right? I also got to thinking - I have soft water. Will that make a difference in the snail's health?

Lisa Blair
Username: lkblair

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 11:13 pm:       

Guppies are supposed to do well with ADFs. BUT I just had to rehome my ADFs 2 days ago because the guppies were picking on my smaller frog. So I think it's another case of there are always exceptions. I've decided my ADFs will get some spixi roommates and live happily ever after. LOL The guppies, sigh... I don't know what to do about those monsters. They've even taken to pestering my poor brigs. They may be going the way of freecycle (or my friend's ACFs ) if they don't shape up soon.

Whatever you decide, I wish you luck creating happy homes for all. I just adore my ADFs and wouldn't trade them for anything. I thought about a betta but am worried we'd encounter the same issue.

Lisa

Mike L
Username: mafrenzy

Post Number: 165

Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 11:17 pm:       

I have an ADF with guppies and sword tails it all depends on the nature of your fish. Maybe you have to trade your small ADF for a larger one. good luck!
"Most important of all, continue to show deep love for each other, for love covers a multitude of sins" Peter 4:8

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member
Username: musicalfingers

Post Number: 1389

Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 01:10 am:       

Bettas are funny fish. My more mellow one, Herbie, will just kind of go over to my ADF Avis and look at him, sometimes lay his head down either on or right near his feet. Avis doesn't like that much, let me tell you! So Herbie does fine with one, but I wouldn't trust my other betta Alexander with one. My shrimp mysteriously disappeared, and he attacked the brig I had in with him with astonishing force. He's okay with spixis though, I don't quite get it...
Out of insanity comes brilliance...or was it the other way around?

Lori
Username: lori

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 11:31 am:       

Things are much better on day 2. Both froggies came out when I put froz blood worms in for dinner last night, and this morning they were both swimming around. In fact, the littlest frog gave the betta a shove when he got a little close, so it might work after all. The betta still checks them out, but he seems more curious than anything now. Maybe he thought the little guy was lunch!

Debra Ann
Advanced Member
Username: debraann

Post Number: 1051

Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 01:08 am:       

Bettas are very curious fish. They also seem to know when no one else is around to stop them if they decide to become aggresive.

I would keep a close eye on the situation. I thought my female betta was living in peace with my apple snails, until the day I realized she had bitten off all their antenna.

I moved her at that moment. All fish are different as mentioned above, just observe the ADF's behavior and keep a check on their limbs.

HTH
**~I Have No Fears, Angels Follow Me Wherever I May Go~**
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * Uh Oh ....       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration