Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * What's up with Pinchy? Is he OK?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

molly b
Username: molly

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 09:11 am:       

First thing was panic because I saw an upside down crayfish, then looked closer and it was only the shell. But then I saw Pinchy...he is now kind of blue? That was last night, checked again this morning, still blue? What is going on?
BEFORE (a couple of weeks ago)

TODAY??? Sorry, not best pic. He was in one of his caves, the upside down one is his "body double"

He (also just assuming he is a he) was always brown...I know there are blue crayfish, but I assumed they start blue? He ran over for his food, was still active etc. Should I be worried? I read that they are soft when they shed (or whatever you call it??) so I don't want to go poking around. I hope he is ok...

Mike L
Username: mafrenzy

Post Number: 171

Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 09:37 am:       

I don't know much about the crayfish, but it seem that he just multed and has a softer new shell. I would wait a while and see if he changes back. He sounds like he is healthy.
Good luck
"Most important of all, continue to show deep love for each other, for love covers a multitude of sins" Peter 4:8

molly b

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 09:59 am:       

Thanks. He has shed before, a few times, but was never blue (grey...) before.?.!.? Usually just a little bit lighter brown then goes brown. That is why his 'blueness' surprised me today...Maybe they change with age? Going grey!
I was just down there staring at him, he is acting normal, came up to glass and shook his claws at me then went back over to eat his old body (kind of creepy...). Will check him later to see if he is turning brown again, or any other colors!

lewis r
Username: lewisandlaura

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 11:20 am:       

just a quick question it aint a cherax blue lobster is it because some of them are brown when they are shiped because of the stress and they get there colour back slowly

ron
Username: rockinrodent67

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 01:01 pm:       

They eat their old moult to regain lost calcium, minerals, etc. It's healthy for them. Why the color change, I'm not sure, unless lewis r is right. How long have you had him?

molly b

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 10:02 pm:       

I read that they eat their old shell.....but is still a bit creepy, like eating all your old skin...

I called my friend who gave me the crayfish, and he said that they were just labeled as 'crayfish'. I have had them about 8 weeks, my friend had them about a month before he gave them to me. There are 2 in the tank, the other is still brown, but he didn't shed today. They are not very big, and growing at about the same rate as each other- wouldn't a lobster be bigger, or perhaps grow bigger faster? I have heard of a cherax lobster, don't know much about them-will look that up to see if they are small...
Still a mystery I suppose!

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9631

Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 12:12 am:       

I always leave the shell in for a day or two before discarding, and have yet to see one consumed. Maybe they only do that if your water isn't hard and their diet is deficient in calcium, and won't bother otherwise?

It's been two days, is it darkening up yet? It should be, and take up to a week to get full color, if it stays out of the light.

Not quite clear enough pic of the shed to determine gender, but you might be able to do so more easily with the shed than with the live cray:

http://bioweb.uwlax.edu/zoolab/Table_of_Contents/Lab-7b/Crayfish_Sexes/crayfish_ sexes.htm

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

molly b

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 08:22 am:       

Thanks for the link.
...He...(she?)... is a tiny bit darker, but still blue. I was at the fish store yesterday, and the new lot they have are all very pale blue,almost translucent, look like they could glow in the dark! The man there said that they can sometimes change color when they mature, or said something about a recessive gene, but not sure he really knew or just did not want me to try and return him (which I would not, I love him)
He is still eating and running around like normal. I already took his shell out, he munched on a couple of the skinny legs, but I guess decided his regular food was better. He was possessive over his shell, pulled it to his cave...I guess he was just beside himself! I read that they will eat what they want for first day or two, then remove so it does not go rotten in there. I laid it out to dry, and it turned red (like when you eat boiled lobster)
I will watch to see if I can get a good view underneath the 2 of them to see what they both are.

ron
Username: rockinrodent67

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 11:09 am:       

My blue lobster is being a stinker. I have rocks in my tank to form caves for him and my catfish to hide in. He moved into the biggest 'cave', and piled gravel at the front 'door' sealing it off, and then dug a tunnel under the rock as a new 'door' to his home. Now I never see him, except for when I clean the tank, or when it's feeding time. Then he just pokes his head out, grabs some food,and goes back in.

molly b

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 06:25 pm:       

Ron, that's cool- he moves in a new home and renovates, just like people do! I put my caves on the four corners and across the sides, not the back, so I can peek in the "back door" when I want to. I also did not want any tall rocks near the filter, I read they can climb out. Pinchy runs around a lot, so I see him, waving his claws in the air at me...like this...(no, he doesn't talk to me...yet??!)...Pokey, his roomate, likes to hang out in his cave, and push the sand and gravel like a bull dozer.
Was your blue lobster always blue, or was he brown at first?
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * What's up with Pinchy? Is he OK?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration