Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * Triops       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member
Username: musicalfingers

Post Number: 1394

Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 12:31 am:       

Weeeelll...my friend gave me some triops for my birthday, kind of as a joke. :-) It says on the package that I can't use dechlorinated water, I have to use spring water. Any idea why?

Also, do you think these would be a bad choice for a live food for my bettas?
Out of insanity comes brilliance...or was it the other way around?

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9628

Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 01:16 am:       

Your betta will be glad to eat them, but only for the first couple days. After that, they will get too large. But if you don't have a sponge filter or a UGF, don't count on getting many to adulthood.

The high mineral content of most tap water will prevent hatching, deionized is cheaper than distilled, and I have never tried spring or any other water. After they have hatched, dechlorinated tap water is fine for water changes.

This is a better website than most:

http://mytriops.com/articles/triops_care.stm

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1395

Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 12:40 am:       

Thanks Cindy! LOL...the part where they say that triops don't hurt each other...my friend said that a girl she knows has them, and the biggest one, "Fluffy", ate all of the other triops in the tank!

Is it um...cruel...to hatch them the way the instructions say? I don't have room to get them a tank, so they'd be in a bowl. The package says they only live 20-90 days anyway, and I thought it would be fun. If you guys think I shouldn't hatch them, I won't!

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 785

Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 12:52 am:       

I hatched one of those kits a year or two ago with my kids the box had been in my closet for about 10 years so I was surprised to see a few little things in there only one grew big it lasted about a month.It was interesting.
Waiting will fill

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9636

Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 08:00 am:       

They are known to do that, especially if underfed, but I never saw it. Maybe they were eating each other after they died anyway, as any fish will do?

Unless you had UGF or a sponge filter, it is pointless to hatch them in a filtered aquarium anyway. Personally, I would set up a bowl or container with the largest SA I could with dechlorinated tap water and some live moss/plants first, then hatch the eggs in a glass of dionized or distilled water (kept warmer than room temp) and move them over after they hatch.

http://mytriops.com/articles/containers.stm

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Kelsey
Username: soggynacho

Post Number: 582

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 08:09 pm:       

I didn't know they got that big.
Does anyone else think they look like aquatic roaches? eeeeee.

molly b
Username: molly

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 08:48 pm:       

Did you hatch them yet? I am interested to know what they are really like...they are kind of neat, and as Kelsey said, kind of creepy at the same time!
I read the link , they seem interesting...but I remember when I was about 7 we convinced our parents to get us sea monkeys (they looked so great in the back of the comic books!) Boy, were we dissapointed...they didn't do tricks or play ball like the picture said!!!

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9669

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 09:34 pm:       

They look like tiny horseshoe crabs to me: http://www.hoganphoto.com/east_point_light_horseshoe_crabs.htm

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1402

Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 10:16 pm:       

That's their closest relative, actually, Cindy. What kind of creeps me out is the three eyes...

Molly, no I haven't yet, I'm still trying to work up the gumption...and I need a bowl. Which I will be getting soon as temporary housing for my betta during the Great Snail War (see general message area), so when that's all over I may hatch a few of them.

molly b
Username: molly

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 11:09 pm:       

Too bad these Triops don't feed on snails! Good luck with the war!

I don't like the end, looks too much like an earwig, and they freak me out...still, I am intrigued to see what they are like! Keep us posted!

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1404

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 12:14 am:       

No joke! And thanks for the thought!

Yeah...they're kind of funky...I'm still not sure whether or not I'll actually hatch them. Even though I like strange things, I'm not that into things that look like spiders....or face-suckers from Alien...

Gopi
Advanced Member
Username: gopi

Post Number: 1738

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 03:45 pm:       

Maybe I should raise some triops...I have a soft spot for horeshoe crabs (I think I told my boss when we had them in lab last year that they were like puppies...only underwater with shells and more legs and...)
There! You have a bigger tank! Will you stop plotting my death now??

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 813

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 10:00 pm:       

I wasnt sue how i felt about them either thats why they sat in my closet till one of my kids(who wasnt even born when I got them)discovered the box and wanted to see what they would look like
Waiting will fill
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * Triops       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration