Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * I have nerites!       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Jeff L
Username: jeffedl

Post Number: 239
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 01:51 pm:       

I broke down and saw a great deal on ebay...6 for 19.99 including shipping. They arrived yesterday, and while I'm a little disappointed that the striping is really not visible (unlike in the pic)and there's erosion on the shell; in truth they are not pretty snails. But I got them for their algae consumption so we'll see how good they are with that.

The thing that amazed me though was their strength: I actually was unable to remove the ones from the glass to move it to another tank (wife put them all in one tank but they were to be split). Amazing strength to hold on!!!

Stay tuned for more feedback on these guys.
I finally realized having my full name on my profile was not not only unsafe in the technical world, it was also seriously nerdy.

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member
Username: musicalfingers

Post Number: 1475

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 05:45 pm:       

Jeff, when they start doing that, you need to push at their foot. They don't like it when you touch their feet (ticklish?) so they usually pull into their shell and are easier to get off the glass. My spixis do that quite frequently, actually.
Out of insanity comes brilliance...or was it the other way around?

Jeff L

Post Number: 241
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 11:05 pm:       

I didn't really try that, although with the nerites it seems easier said than done. Unlike brigs or even ramshorns, their flesh seems less available and their armor more complete. I haven't had a lot of time to examine them closely, but these guys so far hold themselves very close to the vest. I almost believe that loaches would have trouble getting to 'em.
I finally realized having my full name on my profile was not not only unsafe in the technical world, it was also seriously nerdy.

Jeff L

Post Number: 244
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 04:56 pm:       

Update: I was skeptical when I heard that these guys could clear the tank of algae, since my oto wasn't all that helpful. But in less than three days 3 nerites have cleared a nasty haze from the inside of the 12 gal. These guys are algae champs!!!

Gopi
Advanced Member
Username: gopi

Post Number: 1793

Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 05:01 pm:       

I have had 2 nerites for a couple years with my loaches. They don't get touched.
There! You have a bigger tank! Will you stop plotting my death now??

Jeff L

Post Number: 245
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 05:49 pm:       

Gopi, did they leave a ton of small white colored spots on the walls of the tank and rocks (eggs?)? Maybe a half millimeter diameter round? In the two tanks that have them, just now I noticed maybe 20-30 in each tank, attached to rocks and tank walls. They scrape off with a fingernail, but they're not exactly what I would call attractive...

Gopi
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1795

Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 05:54 pm:       

yup. every where. I clean them off the glass every week (use a razor blade, faster) I tend to leave them on the wood/plants/heater/filter intake/other snails

Having 2 of them, i get TONS of eggs. I scraped them off on Thursday and already have at least 10 on one wall...Maybe I *should* try to breed them...

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9835

Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 06:08 pm:       

I read that those white things aren't eggs, they are egg cases, each with 20-30 eggs in them. That is why they don't get eaten or just break down and disappear on their own.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Gopi
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1797

Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 06:50 pm:       

well, the eggs are inside the egg cases so...either way, there are still eggs everywhere

but that is a very good explanation for the perpetual round white thingers :-) thanks Cindy!

Jeff L

Post Number: 246
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 10:10 pm:       

Unfortunately one tank is acrylic so I need to be really careful with the blade. I figure maybe I can find a plastic scraper. I have three in these tanks, so I'm going to be doing a lot of scraping I guess.

you mentioned the cases on the other snails, that really freaked me out when I saw it. Just seemed... perverted? I kept looking at that brig and thinking "how could you let the nerite do that to you?" But that's not fair, its not his fault, he was a victim.

Gopi
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1802

Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 11:19 pm:       

I know, what made it interesting is this (ok, well, the brigs in question have since passed on) the shells had holes. The nerites laid (for the most part) in the holes...so it was like a patch... sure wish I had taken a picture!

I'm still wondering about these very thin leaves were the cases are in neat little rows How??
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * I have nerites!       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration