Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * Frog + snail + epsom salts = bad idea?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member
Username: musicalfingers

Post Number: 1474

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 05:43 pm:       

Herbie is just getting worse, so I'm going to start doing the epsom salt treatment and see if that helps. I actually have two questions: one, can brigs/ADFs withstand epsom salts, or should I move them? Two: do frogs need to be in covered tanks? Will they jump out?
Out of insanity comes brilliance...or was it the other way around?

Debra Ann
Advanced Member
Username: debraann

Post Number: 1064

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 06:05 pm:       

I would move the brigs & ADF while Herbie is being treated.

They can find ways to escape tanks.

HTH
**~I Have No Fears, Angels Follow Me Wherever I May Go~**

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1481

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 09:56 pm:       

Would the ADF be okay in the 5 gallon with no lid? I won't be able to catch him again if I put him in the 20 at home, and I really like having him here :-) I could cover the tank with plastic wrap.

molly b
Username: molly

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 11:27 pm:       

I don't think that they would like the salt, especially snails. Could you not just lower the water level a bit, like an inch...I don't think that they can come bursting up out of the water like a dolphin...hee hee...that would be cool to see though, leaping through the air...
Mine dart up to the top for food and fun, but I have never seen them actually leap out of the water, do those tiny little legs have that kind of strength?
Good luck with Herbie, hope he gets well soon.

Debra Ann
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1067

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 12:18 am:       

Music, Cover it with some cling wrap and punch air holes in it.

Better to be safe than to have the little one escape.

Short Story:

When I bought my 2 little black ADF.s they were tiny. I was trying to pour them out of the bag and into a small bucket to acclimate them. Well one of them didn't want out of the bag and hung on to it. The next thing I knew he was flying/jumping through the air and stuck to my shirt. He was so tiny I was trying to get a gentle hold on him when he jumped again and hit landed on the counter top, and jumped again and landed on my leg, and jumped again and landed on the floor, and then began jumping away while I was trying to catch him but not step on him.

Long story short, he DID live, and I finally caught him.

Never under estimate animals - even itty bitty ones.

HTH - LOL>.......

Musicalfingers
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1482

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 01:41 am:       

Yeah that happened to me, too, when I was catching Avis to move him back home for the break. I didn't have a net, so I was using my hands, and he leaped out of them onto my desk. I tried to catch him, then he leaped to the floor. So, thinking quickly (from my bug-catching days) I put an upside-down cup over him and slid a note card underneath to pick him up. It worked very nicely! :-) Thanks for the help; I'll cover the tank.

Debra Ann
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1069

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 02:38 pm:       

I hope Herbie gets better soon!

Take care, Debra

molly b
Username: molly

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 09:40 pm:       

Wow, my frogs never jump that high, but maybe it is because those guys were out of water? I had a shrimp once fall on the counter from a plant, and boy was it hard to catch, flying in the air like a grasshopper, but in the water I don't even think that they could pop out of the tank (just a little ghost shrimp). Would be a good idea to put a lid on, to be safe! Maybe a piece of cloth would work, so it has air circulation, like cheesecloth or something with "breathability".

Get well soon Herbie!
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * Frog + snail + epsom salts = bad idea?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration