Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * I have snails       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 462
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 05:03 pm:       

I purchased some plants and I guess I got some snail eggs too. Well now I have snails in my tank. How do I identify them? Some are white, some are clear like glass and others have a sort of stained glass look to them.

I am figuring a snail is like an earthworm for my garden. I never really wanted snails but this is kinda neat......until they multiply! I read the post about the YoYo, will clown loaches do the same thing?
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

Jeff L
Username: jeffedl

Post Number: 247
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 05:38 pm:       

That's how I ended up with my first snails: ramshorns. I'm now hooked and happily have three different types (4 this week) plus one type of serious pest snail (trumpet snails, not MTS). Be very careful before they sucker onto you too!

Clowns will munch them..as will anything that's "botia." My Dario used to keep a breeding set alive so she could have snacks every couple of weeks.
I finally realized having my full name on my profile was not not only unsafe in the technical world, it was also seriously nerdy.

flyingfish

Post Number: 498
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 06:09 pm:       

How do I determine if these snails are pests or not?

The lfs has some loaches that are silver with black stripes and Petsmart has some really expensive gold colored loaches.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Gopi
Advanced Member
Username: gopi

Post Number: 1815

Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 06:45 pm:       

first, you need to determine shell shape. you may have to wait until the snails are a little bigger so you can tell. If they came in on plants, they are likely ramshorn or pond snails. If they look sorta football shaped, they are pond snails and will chop on your plants. If they look like, um, rams horns, then, well, I'm sure you can guess ;) These generally don't eat plants. There is also a post in badman's best on what snails look like, but I'm too lazy to go find it for you ;) (Ok, tired, it's been a long day and I'm not done yet)
There! You have a bigger tank! Will you stop plotting my death now??

debbs
Username: debbs95

Post Number: 1578

Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 06:55 pm:       

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/discus/messages/27480/54331.html?1105712132

Pests snails to look out for :-)

flyingfish

Post Number: 535
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 06:56 pm:       

Grrrr. Forum library...duh...

I had this crazy bug shell on the top of my tank under the plastic rim, it looked like something crawled up there out of the tank and shed its skin and walked out. I cant even think of what this is but It really creeps me out.

I also have some shrimp....I guess they are shrimp they swim like crayfish do. They look like ticks. COuld this be something else?
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Debra Ann
Advanced Member
Username: debraann

Post Number: 1081

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 03:51 pm:       

Looks like ticks!

I'm not sure what that is myself, but it doesn't sound like shrimp.

**~I Have No Fears, Angels Follow Me Wherever I May Go~**

flyingfish

Post Number: 564

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 06:15 pm:       

Thank you for posting!

OK well the snails are pond snails. I am pulling them out as I see them. I read about putting in a slice of cucumber or something and they will all eat it...unfortunatly so do the otos and I hate bothering them.

I will get a picture of the creepy bug shell when the water level drops a bit. It looks like a cross between a wasp and a spider.

As far as that shrimp type thing goes...it had a tail like a lobster. It was light brown with what appeared to be eyes and black lines on it. It didnt look like a shrimp at all besides the lobster like tail. Looked aLmost like a cockroach.

What should I call a baby shrimp? Everytime I google it I can only find small edible shrimp and BBS pictures.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * I have snails       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration