Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * Shrimp molting problems       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Randy
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 265

Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 10:53 am:       

Last night I found one of my Amano shrimp thrashing around on the gravel halfway through a molt. After watching for 10 minutes, I decided that he was in trouble and moved him to my hospital tank ( with Platty fry now). I had to hold him by the tail and pull the molt over his head. Thought he was a goner for sure. layed on his side until I went to bed. Today he had climed the jova moss to get to the filter intake and was cleaning it off, good for him, I needed someone in there to clean up.
If you go through a day without learning something new, you wasted it!

Debra Ann
Advanced Member
Username: debraann

Post Number: 1073

Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 10:25 pm:       

Randy, as long as he behaving normal now, he should be OK.

I would keep and extra close eye on the little guy just to make sure!

HTH
**~I Have No Fears, Angels Follow Me Wherever I May Go~**

TruCelt
Advanced Member
Username: trucelt

Post Number: 1728

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 03:52 pm:       

How long does it normally take?
I have great faith in fools; "self-confidence" my friends call it. - Edgar Allan Poe

Randy

Post Number: 275

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 08:57 pm:       

I don't know, I've never seen a molt in progress. I think he has some broken legs, he can't walk properly.

Debra Ann
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1077

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 01:09 am:       

Info. from another site:

Because crustaceans have an exoskeleton, they can not grow the same way as fish do. They must shed this outer hard shell and grow a new one. This process is called molting. The molt is called ecdysis and is the same as the one experienced by terrestrial insects. When the time comes, usually at night, the shrimp finds a safe, secluded place on the reef and begins its transformation. A little trap door pops open on its back and the animal pulls itself out of its shell. Once free, it is vulnerable for several days until it's new shell hardens. The discarded shell looks like a dead animal and uninformed hobbyists often think their shrimp has died. Only several days later do they realize what happened when the animal emerges from it's hiding place. Most species experience 4 or 5 molts during their adolescence before they are adult size. In my opinion, a molting shrimp is a happy, well-fed shrimp

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9867

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 07:01 pm:       

And, in general, I wouldn't "help" him in the future. The emerging appendages are very fragile and your efforts are probably how his legs got broken. While it will grow new ones - eventually - it may take several more molts to complete the process, it will be at a disadvantage until then.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 541
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 11:09 pm:       

Randy, I had something molt on the rim of my tank! It looks like some kind of bug...its really creepy.

I think I have some shrimp too...they are really small and look like ticks I pulled one out to take a picture of it and it latched onto my finger and gave me the willies so I tossed it back in and it swam like a crayfish.

I sorta said all of this in my I have snails post.

BTW..I enjoy you posts about shrimp. I will be popping in here more often to see the posts. I have some cherry shrimp now.

Now about your question...HMMMM sorry just If shrimp are like crabs the leg will grow back with every molt. This may take a while? I dont know.

My wifes leopard geckos shed now and then. Rarely they need a little help but its the last resort....try to wait a bit before jumping in let nature take its course. I dont want to seem like I am lecturing you...you know alot...I am just saying it to put it out.

How do you keep up with all of these things? I couldnt imagine running the reef right now.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9878

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 11:40 pm:       

I'm not trying to lecture either, I just think that most of the time, animals don't need our help, and our good intentions may have bad outcomes. Lizards and snakes don't need help shedding either, if the humidity is kept up in their habitat and they have a rough rock or log to get started with. If the humidity isn't maintained, they have problems, but that makes us the cause of the problem, not the solution.

You've probably seen this glurge in your e-mail, I learned it in Den Leader training in Cub Scouts:

One afternoon, while working around his yard, a man spotted a cocoon. Looking closely, he noticed that something was struggling to get through a very small hole in the cocoon. He sat and watched for several minutes before he was certain that what he was seeing was a butterfly attempting to get through the hole in the cocoon. As he watched, the insect inside the cocoon pushed and twisted but could not squeeze its way through the hole since the hole was smaller than the body of the butterfly.

Intending to help the butterfly emerge, the man took his pocketknife and very carefully cut the hole larger so the butterfly could pass through the opening. The butterfly emerged easily and effortlessly then. However, the butterfly had a body that was far too big to permit its undeveloped wings to lift it. The man waited with hope that the butterfly would continue to transform but this never happened.

The butterfly needed to struggle to squeeze its body through the small opening. In the struggle, bodily fluid would be aqueezed into the wings, the wings would unfurl and gain strength and the body would become smaller. Without this struggle, the butterfly never developed into a beautiful insect that could fly from flower to flower. In fact, it died quickly, not fully developed. The attempt to remove difficulties from the emerging insect left it unable to survive its next stage of life.

Sometimes our children, like the butterfly, will find themselves struggling to make it through a difficult assignment or decision. What will happen if we step in and do it for them, or make it too easy? What will happen if we carry their entire load? If we let them work hard, they emerge a stronger and better person, prepared for an even brighter future.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 544
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 12:20 am:       

Oh man Cindy, I didnt mean you. I was talking to Randy in the SW forum and felt like I was preaching there. Sorry that looked sorta bad. When the geckos need attention she usualy just gives them a bath...nothing major. I dont know alot I just remember this happening once.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9883

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 07:52 am:       

...probably in winter, when your home was dry. My snakes (at school) had the same problem in winter, until I replaced their substrate with coconut fiber under mulch, and drizzled water over it when changing their bowls. It evaporated slowly to maintain humidity over 50%. Otherwise, they flaked over a period of days, sometimes not finishing at all, instead of shedding in one piece. Eventually I also added a cool mist humidifier in the room, right between their cages. Nary a problem now.

Randy

Post Number: 291

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 08:41 am:       

Hi Cindy,
I'm not one to panic, When I saw the little guy laying on his side thrashing and I mean thrashing violently trying to get the molt over his head, I waited what I thought a Anecdote time before intervening. His legs were ether broken or useless because of the molt skin.

I do believe that nature can solve it own problems without humans intervention. But, when you consider our hobby of trying to recreate a natural environment in a boll/tank/cage/etc.., we already have intervened. I could have caused ( and probably did) this problem with something wrong with his environmental conditions. So after having waited what I felt was a appropriate amount of time I intervened. Was it a mistake? Who knows. Like I said in another post. I believe we learn more be our mistakes than our successes. Now if I could only learn from my spelling mistakes!

Oh - and thanks for the a anecdote about the butterfly. That was interesting, did not know that.

See my signature line.

Debra Ann
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1079

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 03:45 pm:       

I could be found guilty of "helping" my children a little too much.

LOL
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Other Aquatic Pets * Shrimp molting problems       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration