Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Blue dempsey       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Michael K Buckham
Username: buckham

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 09:40 pm:       

Ok I have kept dempsey's for about 4 years and they are easily my favorite fish. I gave all but my first bought jack away last move and now that I am ready to set tanks back up I find out about Blue Jacks. Heres my questions,

Hybrid, or not?
Tank mates? {my current jack only likes himself}
Care the same as "green" jacks?

I have heard they are more docile than greens is this true?

Any info helps Thanks
Someday they will call me sir, without adding your making a scene.

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6272
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 06:23 am:       

Hybrid, or not? not. it's a color morph but does not breed true. in order to get more 'blues' from a spawn, you have to cross a regular jack with a blue and then 'some' of the spawn will be blue. a genetic anomoly. you can find a better explanation of all this on google probably.

I have heard they are more docile than greens is this true? i've heard this too. would guess therefor that any fish equal in size and temperament would be a good match.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

Shari
Ancient Plus
Username: shari

Post Number: 5313
Posted on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 05:41 pm:       

Hi Michael, and Welcome :-)

I have a Blue, but I've never had a "Green" (regular) so I don't know how much help I will be in comparing??

My "Jack" is a sweety. He doesn't really bother ANYONE, except to chase the Festivum around occassionally.

He came to me as a little guy, only about 2" long (THANKS SAM...I know, but I have to do it everytime :-)) I've had him for about a year and a half now, and I think he's becoming mature finally. His attitude hasn't changed, however, it's the markings and fins that tell me that.

He has always been in a community including Angelfish, Festivum, Congo Tetras, Clown loaches, and some others, like Gouramis, etc. As I said, he never bothers anyone but Festi. They are close to the same size, and I think both male, so.....but nothing serious. He's never hurt anyone that I know of.

He loves to handfeed, although he's getting more aggressive about that. He's never hurt me, but his "strike" is getting more powerful. He has good aim, luckily :-) I've had him latch onto my finger, no biggy, he let's go.

He's very friendly, rushing to the side looking for handouts whenever I walk by. And, of course, I just have to show him off :-):-)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/AquaGeek/IM000869.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/AquaGeek/05_08_17JackClowns.jpg
My Fish Tanks Are SPREADING!!

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 423
Posted on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 04:16 pm:       

If your asking about the electric blue the info I have found is its a recessive gene not a hybrid.Breeding 2 electric blues and none of the fry are strong enough to survive,so an electric blue is bred to a regular then the young are bred to each other and thier young have a 50% chance of being electric blue.They are much more peaceful than regular jacks and very fragile especially when young.They are gorgeous fish but much more expensive than regular jacks..been thinking of getting one but the high price tag stopped me.
Waiting will fill

rob
Username: rob

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 04:48 am:       

Wow Shari, I would be showing him off too. Absolutely stunning *first thought* I just had to post and congratulate you.

May I ask what size tank your keeping this beauty in?
Just smile and nod - Im used to it...

rob

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 06:49 am:       

Is he really a blue? looks a lot like a really sexy normal jack..

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9034
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 04:10 pm:       

LOL!

Shari's fish looks like this: http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/cichlid/images/dempsy12_s.jpg

...to you?

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Dan
Username: jacksandoscars

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 02:25 am:       

I've been looking at these blue Dempseys for a while now and they keep growing on me... I'm saving atm for a 75g tank with a stand and am still pondering what kind of fish I'd like to throw in. I think a couple of these guys would be marvelous!

In a 75g what kind of smaller tank mates do you think I could put in? I heard at the midgrown state that blue acaras can be good tank mates... I've also heard that convicts are good tank mates but I'm not sure I want pests in the tank :D. If you guys check my other post I tried to describe this cichlid I saw today that I'd never seen before. Any chance those guys could be ideal tank-mates?
20g Tank - 2 dwarf gourami, 2 pearl gourami, 2 honey gourami, 2 corydoras, 1 small pleco.
10g tank - 3 male and 7 female guppies. 2 corydoras.
*70g tank - coming soon!

April
Advanced Member
Username: jumpingtadpoles

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 02:57 am:       

What is the minimum tank size, and the actual size these guys get to? I have heard some conflicting information about them, but have never asked for the truth, yet.
Dream big, celebrate life, and never stop learning.

Shari
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 5394
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 02:34 pm:       

Trail post on the new board :-)

Rob, thanks for the compliments on Jack. Yep, he's a Blue :-)

April, he's gone from 2" to 7" in 1.5 years. I've read they stop growing around 5", which obviously hasn't been my experience I wouldn't be happy with him in anything less then a long 75g or so. The 125g he's in is perfect for him. He loves to swim the length and around everything. Definately needs the room.

I don't know anything about how he would be with another Dempsey, or any of the aggressive Cichlids, but he does wonderfully with his tank mates of more peaceful guys.

I have heard they are fairly easy to spawn once you get a pair? But then they would probably get more aggressive, so????

Did that help any?? :-)

rob

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 - 12:04 am:       

I dono i guess he just looked more like this:
http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_jack.php

Than he did this jack, Which is quite distinctly blue:
http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_dempsey.php

..sorta confusing I guess, Never-the-less one beautiful animal.

Christine
Advanced Member
Username: christine

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 - 09:07 am:       

He does more resemble your first link now, but when younger, Shari's was even bluer than your second link :-) Here's a picture of him from the main site:

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/species-gallery/cichlids/octofasciatum.html

Christine
Advanced Member
Username: christine

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 - 09:27 am:       

The pic is down at the bottom of the page, sorry... too late for editing. The kids were tugging at my pant legs during that post...

Shari
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 5398
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 - 12:14 pm:       

Yep, Jack has "color changed" a bit :-)

That pic Christine linked to was when Sam still had him. Here's a pic from the day I got him....he was so curious about the Blue Gouramis :-)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/Mamaschild/80g/04_06_29_Jack_Mr_Man_2.jpg

And another from Feb. Last year
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/Mamaschild/80g/05_02_04Jack.jpg

Then all those markings showed up all over his body, so he looks like he does now :-)

One thing about him...he is very "reflective" so it's hard to show his true color on film.

rob

Post Number: 51
Posted on Saturday, February 11, 2006 - 06:02 pm:       

(Soz on the wait - Account got deleted (Thanks for the help again JP).)

Wow, the colours really do change a lot through those photos don't they. I can see now that he is Definately a blue, lol, no doubt about it.

How much did your jack cost you? Seeing your beautiful boy has made me put some thought into getting my own for this up-coming tank.

Thats what I'd give him, lol.

rob

Post Number: 67
Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 07:35 am:       

Hmmm today I went and enquired as to the availability of these blues... However I was supprised when the guy said "yeah no problem, we can have one in next week", although he kept saying 'jack dempsey' other than 'blue dempsey' almost as to correct my naming of the animal, hmmm I don't trust this persons intelligence.

Shari
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 5409
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 11:12 am:       

Rob, I got VERY Lucky and one of the members here, Samantha, moved and downsized a bit. She offered him in the Classifieds and I got him. Since Sam just wanted him to have a good home, I only had to pay shipping, which was ~$35.

Now everytime I post pics of him, I have to thank Sam....THANKS SAM I still think of him as her fish....I'm just keeping him for her

Normally I see them in the stores as "Electric Blue" or "Powder Blue" depending on the deepness of the blue. They run between $59 and $79 and only about an inch or so here. If I were you, I would talk to that person again before they order you a regular and charge you for it. OR, hopefully he's right and they are available to him so they won't be quite as expensive :-)

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 06:12 pm:       

I have already obsessed over Shari's blue jack. stunning indeed.
Shari, that darn picture may be the cause for another tank in my house. LOL.

I have to admit tho am soo much more diciplined now and stopped buying fish on urges, like when I first saw your blue jack.
Baby Blue Jack This jack is on sale at my not-so-LFS. This is the perfect internet picture of the fish for sale $39.99 and not my own. 39.99 is the most expensive freshwater fish ive seen for sale around here besides arrowana.
I surf fish for stripers

Shari
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 5422
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 06:23 pm:       

Believe me, guys....if it hadn't been for Sam, I wouldn't have one either. They are a little too rich for me, but I'm so glad he's here :-):-)

If you can get one for that price, I say go for it

I should probably get lost now, before I get shot for instigating

rob

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 06:58 am:       

Rofl!! Hmmm, I may speak to him again, Its a bit of a drive though...

He seemed though as if he were correcting me everytime I said "blue" he kept saying jack straight after... hmmm, yes a bit of a chat is in order I think.

Also just a double check on a stupid question, I keep forgetting I'm needing to move my angels when I get this tank in, There is no way I can put them in with a blue is there..

(so disappointing, I just keep forgeting about them...ohh well..)

we'll see how things progress i guess. (haha, progress i guess..rhymed, sorry, lol), um he said It would take weeks to locate green sevs and they were quite rare (even though they had a tank full of golds) and a spotted hypostomus would take months... and a blue will be in next week... I really don't trust..

Shari
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 5425
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 11:26 am:       

If your going to try to get a breeding pair, yes, I would say remove the angels.

However, Jack has always been with Angels and no problems, so????

rob

Post Number: 101
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 12:08 am:       

ohh, ok...yay!! I was just going to get one as a show fish for the up and comming. Thats brilliant news! Wont get my hopes up though that word Cichlid means so many different things. With that said that guy better not have stuffed up his info. I'm all exited now ..
Have been for about 3 months and still will be for another one or two until I can get the tank lol.
5ft of curved glass goodness is coming my way, lol. (always wanted to use that one)

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 576
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 02:27 pm:       

I just saw an electric blue at a fishstore for 59.95 I wanted it so bad but stopped myself,Im just too cheap
Waiting will fill

rob

Post Number: 125
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 12:04 am:       

haha! I was really cheap at first as well but seeing as i'm going all out on this new tank i might as well empty my bank to fill it as well..

Gary Smyth
Username: macfish

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 01:09 pm:       

Another BD fan here. I have one about 3.25" in my 65 Gal. I don't think I'd recomend many other cichlids as tank mates. I had a pair of 1" Honduran Red Points in with him for about a week and had to get them out. They were tag teaming him pretty bad.

He is now the lone cichlid with some Congo and Lemon tetras to chase around. Very good personality and much less aggressive than my old regular Jack. He also is growing much slower. I've had him almost a year. He was a little over an inch when I got him. His first 7 or 8 months he spent in my 33 Gal before moving to the 65.

Here are a couple shots of him....

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f223/MacFish/Fish%20Pics/Blue_Jack_6_web.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f223/MacFish/Fish%20Pics/Blue_Jack_1.jpg

(Message edited by cindym on March 13, 2006)

Kelsey
Username: soggynacho

Post Number: 571
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 02:51 pm:       

One of my old lfs (i moved 1 1/2 hours away but still stop by when visiting friends) had blue dempseys just like the pic in flyingfish's post for 39.99 as well, or he would give me a pair for 70.00. I was VERY VERY tempted, but alas- I can't spend that much on them.. (or can i?)
Also, my tank is overrun with BGA and i want to get rid of that stuff before adding anyone.
resisting temptation is hard!!!! I want them!
EDIT: they were at GreenTree Pet Center in Clarksville, IN (right across the river from Louisville) if anyone is close enough and interested. :-)

Shari
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 5554

Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 11:10 am:       

He's very nice, Gary

MacFish

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 12:26 pm:       

Thanks Shari. Yours is looking very nice too.

Not sure why my links aren't showing up. Odd. I did finally manage to get some pics of him while he was in his lighter dress. He really changes his colors. Here are a couple...

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f223/MacFish/Fish%20Pics/Blue_Jack_8_web.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f223/MacFish/Fish%20Pics/Blue_Jack_7_web.jpg

Gary

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9545

Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 03:38 pm:       

I fixed them for you. Gorgeous fish!

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

MacFish

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 05:10 pm:       

Thanks Cindy :-)

I take it this board doesn't let you insert images? I think that was my problem.

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9550

Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 05:34 pm:       

If you add them during an edit, you have to use the link icon to make them work - the one with a chain link in front of the Earth.

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Blue dempsey       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration