Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * 90 gallon tank       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Dahly
Username: dahly

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 03:41 pm:       

I may have an opportunity to pick up a 90 gallon, 48X18X24, up and running tank really cheap. I'd want to fill it with cichlids and like labs, johnnies, angels and many others that I don't know their names. Nothing bigger then 6" full grown. Any suggested types/quantities to fill my dream and push it into reality? I need a "dream' list for the whole tank. Thanks
29 gallon tank with 5 white skirt tetra's, 7 diamond neon tetra's, 3 Julii Cory Catfish,
1 clown pleco, 2 powder blue dwarf gouramies.
20H - 8 Neolamprologus multifasciatus

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6307
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 04:30 pm:       

don't dream about putting any non-african cichlids (such as angels) in with a tank full of African cichlids. the result will be dead angels.

you should be aware that Malawi cichlids are polygamous and the best way to avoid the damaging effects of spawning aggression is to keep only ONE male with 3-4 females of the same species. polygamous means these cichlids do not form "pairs" and if you fail to follow the above sex ratio, you'll end up with dead females.

a 90 gallon tank should nicely hold three different species groups of 5 cichlids each providing you fill the tank to the top with lots of rocks forming lots of caves.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

Dahly

Post Number: 90
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 10:15 am:       

Thanks! So if I went the African Cichlid route. 1 male and 3-4 females of up to three different types. What else would you suggest for the tank, as far a bottom dwellers, clean up crew? If I did go with angels, what would go, and in what numbers with them. Also the bottom dwellers, clean up crew? I appreciate your advice.
29 gallon tank with 5 white skirt tetra's, 7 diamond neon tetra's, 3 Julii Cory Catfish,

dan

Post Number: 6310
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:42 am:       

personally, i've never understood the "clean up" crew thing. fish are always cruising the tank, picking at every surface there is including the bottom, looking for bits here and there to eat. if you don't overfeed, there's no "clean up" crew necessary.

that said though, lotsa folks love corydoras and these will go fine in a tank of virtually anything but African cichlids. i'd avoid ANY other fish in a tank of Africans .. but that's just me. remember that Mbuna are algae grazers and thus, having plecostomus in the same tank defeats the purpose.

ashley
Username: hrafen

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 02:03 pm:       

If you went with Angels I would suggest you give some thought to Rams or Apisto's. I personally would avoid other SA's such as Acara, Severum, Geophagus with Angels even in 90 US gallons.

So how about.

1 pair Angels
1 male Apisto
3 female Apisto's
6 Corydoras - ideally 6 of one species or 2 groups of 3.
12 to 16 Tetra - not Serpae since they can be fin nippers. Black Phantoms are cool and all Tetra are happiest in groups of at least 6.

Provide a few caves, and plant well.

Dahly

Post Number: 101
Posted on Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 06:29 pm:       

Thank for your advice. I have made an offer on the tank, et al. If my offer is accepted, I'm going african. Dan, when I fill the tank "to the top with lots of rocks forming lots of caves." You state that "a 90 gallon tank should nicely hold three different species groups of 5 cichlids." 15 fish, correct? I'd buy them as juvi's, so they would grow up together. My lfs said "no more than 1 per 10 gallons." If I just get labs and johnnies and that small sort, are they correct? I'd rather go with you, but it's easier to double check than make a mistake. Thanks!
29 gallon tank with 5 white skirt tetra's, 6 diamond neon tetra's, 3 Julii Cory Catfish,

dan

Post Number: 6359
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 06:36 am:       

in my opinion, the tank will hold 15 Mbuna but if you'd rather get fewer fish that's fine as well. i stated that a 'group' of malawi cichlids should consist of 5 fish but if you're going to be going with Labidochromis, a group of 1 male and 3 females would work well. Melanochromis johanni females are yellow and you'll undoubtedly end up crossbreeding this species with the Labidochromis caeruleus, also yellow. both species are pretty mild mannered as Mbuna go and will be fine together.

providing you're not going to be selling the resulting fish into the hobby, cross breeding is not a problem.

another issue when buying juveniles is how will you sex them. if you're LFS guy can do this accurately, great ... if not, i'd buy three groups of 4-5 and then remove (after they've grown to the point where you can sex them) the extra males of a given species. so, you may end up with 1 male and 3 females in group A, and 1 male and 4 females in group B etc.

if you decide to go with 3 groups, consider a different color .. perhaps Pseudotropheus estherae which are red if you get a quality genetic example.

so bottom line, you could end up with three groups of 12 fish which is a good compromise between what i think will work just fine, and what your LFS guy thinks.

enjoy.

Dahly

Post Number: 102
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 07:57 am:       

Thanks Dan. I'd get the electric blue johanni, as I would not want the same colors of fish. I'll most likely buy from local GCAS members and save lots of money. The local guys buy/sell/trade from each other and others in our aquarium society. Good reputations too. So, I wouldn't need to get juvy's? Can I add larger/older groups one at a time, and still avoid mortal combat?
29 gallon tank with 5 white skirt tetra's, 6 diamond neon tetra's, 3 Julii Cory Catfish,

dan

Post Number: 6360
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 08:47 am:       

it's always best to add them all at the same time if you get adults. you may get away with adding 'some' at a time if you gete juveniles.

since this is a 'new' tank, you'll overwhelm the biofilter if you add a bunch of cichlids to begin the cycle, and end up with ammonia problems ... africans are not among the most hardy when it comes to ammonia and nitrite. consider starting the tank with danios and then return them when the filter is cycled, or go with fishless cycling.

http://www.aquasource.org/CMS/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&re q=viewarticle&artid=2&page=1

http://www.aquasource.org/CMS/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&re q=viewarticle&artid=3&page=1

Dahly

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 08:58 am:       

If my tank offer is accepted, I'll wait for the Feb. GCAS auction, but them all, add bio spira and "Bam" I'm done. I used bio spira with my 20 and it worked out well. Thanks

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 8828
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 09:18 am:       

Make sure you can get it, in fact get it and have it on hand before you do that.

Very few LFS and no chains I know of carry it. In the St. Louis area, the only shop I've found it in is a reef shop, and they only carry the SW version. There was one other LFS that carried it, but they are out of business. Even it only carried it 6 months a year.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Dahly

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 10:20 am:       

Very true. I have 4 lfs' within 2 miles of my house and none carry it. One near work only carry's the SW. One near my church carries them all. Cheaply too. I paid $10 for my 1oz Freshwater! If I can get the tank, I'll buy it right away. Excellent point, Cindy! Thanks

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 8833
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 03:12 pm:       

You'll need at least the 3 oz package for your 90. Divided into two doses a few days apart, that might not even be enough, if you fully stock with larger cichlids. That size is $18 on many sites, cheaper than 3 of the 1-oz. packaages you have access to. The 8 oz container would be even cheaper, if you do get larger fish, not small juvies. You can find out who carries it near you here, half way down teh left side:

http://www.marineland.com/products/mllabs/ML_biospira.asp

Good luck!

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Dahly

Post Number: 109
Posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 08:29 pm:       

No 90 for me, at least not now. The seller is a jerk. He's sold the filters and still wants the same price. O.B.O. to him meant, his was the best offer and it just got steeper. Oh, well. Still dreaming! Thanks for your insights!

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 450
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 01:21 am:       

Same thing happened to me a few times for some reason some people think tanks get more valuble with age
Waiting will fill

Dahly

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 02:31 pm:       

Now it IS a 75, 48 X 18 X 21, that I will be getting. I pick up the stand Sunday at the GCAS meeting and the tank, lid and lights on Monday from another member. I already have my filters and almost, if not all, the rock I will need for hiding places and caves. I do need to pick up substrate/sand, but that's no big deal. Now the questions. Dan said that in the 90 "you should be aware that Malawi cichlids are polygamous and the best way to avoid the damaging effects of spawning aggression is to keep only ONE male with 3-4 females of the same species. polygamous means these cichlids do not form "pairs" and if you fail to follow the above sex ratio, you'll end up with dead females.

a 90 gallon tank should nicely hold three different species groups of 5 cichlids each providing you fill the tank to the top with lots of rocks forming lots of caves."

Can I still get 3 different types, 1 male - 3 female for a total of 12. Or would you recommend two types in the 4/1 ratio for a total of 10? Yellow Labs, Electric Blues and perhaps Red Tops are what I was thinking. Comments, advise...please. Thanks,
Glenn
29 gallon tank with tetra's, Julii Cory Catfish,
1 clown pleco, 1 tiny common pleco.
20H - Neolamprologus multifasciatus

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 819

Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 12:24 am:       

The difference between the two tanks is a little height shouldnt make any difference in your plans.I have read some differences in opinion whether a setup with 3 groups should be filled with rocks or have 3 rockpiles separated by sand areas to more clearly define the territories,im leaning more toward the second choice myself when I set up the big tank.
Waiting will fill

dan

Post Number: 6737

Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 06:17 am:       

in a 75 i'd go with larry's suggestion ... the difference in height is significant in that you cannot pile the rocks as high in the 75, thereby reducing the number of caves and the dispersion of the fish. thus, three rockpiles may work out better to separate the different groups.

Dahly

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 11:02 am:       

Great idea Guys, thanks! What are your thought's on fish selection "Yellow Labs, Electric Blues and perhaps Albino Red Tops." Thanks again. Glenn
29 gallon tank with tetra's, Julii Cory Catfish,
1 clown pleco, 1 tiny common pleco.
20H - Neolamprologus multifasciatus
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * 90 gallon tank       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration