Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Georgette's blue eye cichlids thread.       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

georgette
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 10:04 am:       

hi there,
i purchased about 3 month ago a pair of(what i thought were convict to start with) blue eye cichlids or cichlasoma spilurum.
6 days ago i had to take them out of my community tank as they beat up my malowi cichlid and over took his bamboo pipe.
so 6 days ago they were moved into a smaller tank by them selfs, and the nxt day they laid eggs inside an ornament and also laid eggs actually inside the hole ornament itself ie its hollow with an air hole so it can sink in the water.
well they fasted for 5 days and yesterday she came out for the first time.
problem is now he is chassing her and she just stays in a corner now, he wont let her back in.
the day befor she come out they moved all the eggs inside the hollow part of ornament, so i dont even know if the little wrigglers are ok or even if the eggs hatched.
the parents are now taking some flake food.
but my main concern is that he wont let her bk in where the eggs were laid.
i cant take him out the tank because i only have my communial tank and a baby tank with livebearing fry in.
any advise would be great.
please help!!
i know very little about these fish, its the first time have kept them.
thank peeps
georgette
}

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6536
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 12:38 pm:       

your best course of action is to remove the male. if you don't have the tank availability, then breeding cichlids may not be for you. seems you have no recourse but to leave them to their own devices and hope for the best.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

georgette burgess
Username: georgette

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 10:20 am:       

i have a breeding pair and dont know much about them, any info would be great.

dan

Post Number: 6533
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 12:06 pm:       

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/breeding/Toven_Old%20Blue%20Eyes.html

http://www.americancichlids.com/blueeye.htm

http://www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=87

Russell
Username: tboy

Post Number: 131
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 09:45 pm:       

Convict are a great fish in my option but they do breed alot and can be very aggresive.

My advice Get a few diano's http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile54.html
There normaly cheap and I fine they keep the male and female convicts distracted when their fry is around. By giving the male convict something to watch he tend to leave the female alone. Also these fish are normaly fast enought to get away from the convicts. You would think they would end of killing them but I have had 3 batchs of fry with the convicts i have now and everything is fine.

Also Sometimes the first batch of eggs the parents just eat. I am not to sure why. Just have read that on a bunch of forums and sites

Good luck
I need more tanks...

georgette burgess

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 11:11 am:       

hi i thought i would update you with this.
i removed the male yesterday and put him back in the community tank, and he seems well happy again, he is fine in there for now.also the female still seemed a bit distressed, so this morning i desided to take out this ornament,primarily to remove any fry to go into a seperate little tank. but they were gone. they must have eaten them anyway.
so today im gonna clean out their tank and put them bth bk in together and raise temp slightly.
thanks for every1 advise if he persists i will take the danio action.
georgette

georgette burgess

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 10:04 am:       

any one got a clue.
or is there much difference between the two.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9265
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 11:17 am:       

Not gray enough to be a regular morph of Archocentrus spilurus, not barred enough to be the cutteri morph, and I can't see a blue lateral stripe...

Hard to tell with that photo quality. Without a better pic I'd guess a convict. Was it sold to you as a Archocentrus spilurus? If it was, I would assume it is, in spite of occasional mistakes made by the "professionals".

If you ID'd it yourself, after purchasing it for a couple dollars, I would assume it is a convict. I tend to assume the more common and more likely fish when ID'ing unknowns, not the less common, even rare ones that many (wishfully) ID it as.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

dan

Post Number: 6560
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 12:44 pm:       

not a great pic but i'd say spilurum. note the black mark extending from just below the eye to the nose ... it's pretty typical of spilurus and VERY rare in convicts.

georgette burgess

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 03:02 pm:       

thanks, thats what i though, i didnt thnik convicts stripes started at their eyes.
but i did purchase this fish as a convict from a private supply, not a shop.
thanks to all

georgette burgess

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 01:38 pm:       

hi there,
i went out today and bought some danios to go in the tank with my blue eyes.
sinse this morning when i released them the blue eys are alot calmer, and i have noticed a change in their body.
under their belly they are getting little sticky out bits, l;ike befor it seemed that they were using them to lay and fertilise the eggs.
any one know what this is called as i can find anything in fish anatomy.does this mean they will lay eggs again soon.
if they do its great, their tank was sorted last week, with a different ornament, they now have a plant pot and live plants.
any advise.
thanks
georgette

kkens
Username: kkens

Post Number: 369
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 03:52 pm:       

The sticky out bits are the genital papilla. The female's is also called an ovipositor. If the papilla are extended then they are interested in spawning soon.

georgette burgess

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 12:02 pm:       

hi there again
i released the danios yesterday, no probs. noticed that their looking to spawn,
but one prob today, he is still being so agressive.
since the last lot of eggs i have tried putting him back in community tank, he was ok in there no probs.
but he still chasing after her around the tank today. he has got her tail a couple of times but she seems to hide away.
yesterday he let her in the plant pot, but today he has got hump again.
any ideas, is this normal when brreding or am i doing something wrong.

georgette burgess

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 05:52 am:       

hi there everyone.
im still having problems with my male blue eye,
i have put them all back in the tank together(including the three danios)they are looking to spawn as their genitalier are getting noticeble.
but problem is, he is still chasing her around the tank, not as often but he still being aggressive.
he can go in the community tank, but i would like to see if i can start breeding.
is this just normal behaviour for them when spawning together. as they used to do this when i first got them, he always used to chase her around, until one day they just stopped and started digging together. that was when i realized what they were intending to do, so i got them their own tank. they did spawn, the eggs were cared for for 4 days until they got eaten, none hatched, i did notice that the ones i could see started going white befor they eat them.
but since then he has been very aggressive towards her.
i have tried taking him out and putting him in the community tank(he was ok in there, no probs) i cleaned out their little tank and set it all back up ready for them to spawn again. so in they went and he was back to being aggressive again. i took the advice and got some danios(3) they are fine in the tank, very fast fish.it does distract him now and again, but he still mostly chasing her around. he has got her tail a couple of times.
i can and will seperate them if i have to, but i would like to try and spawn again. so anyone know, do i leave them to see if they become digging friends again or is there some other trick i havent tried yet.
any advice at all would be great.
look forward to hearing your opinions.
thanks
georgette

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9366
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 06:40 am:       

You can't make a spawning pair out of two cichlids, if they don't want to be. We normally suggest that you start with 6 or more juvies to allow them to pick their own mate. You got lucky and got them to spawn once, and you may get them to spawn again, or they may never spawn again.

You now have 5 separate threads on this same topic, and this is only the 15th post total between them. After you reply here - so I know you know where the four most recent threads went - I will merge them all into one thread.

(Message edited by cindym on February 28, 2006)

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

georgette burgess

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 09:32 am:       

would they still be laying eggs if they were the same sex? im just trying to look at all aspects of the problem. at end of the day, they are still small themselfs so it is hard to tell the difference apart from the bigger more aggressive one has slightly longer fins and more of a sloping forehead.
thank for your advise on the fish and the forum site.

cindy
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 9370
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 10:54 am:       

Yes, females will spawn even in the absence of a male.

But as I review the whole story, they just spawned barely a week ago, so I wouldn't be looking for another spawn again this soon. Angels and gouramis are about the only fish I can think of with that quick of a turnaround. Feed them well, some "conditioning foods" like live and frozen foods, and let them get used to their surroundings fro a change, set up a territory, and get used to the water conditions in the new tank, if you want them to spawn.

There are a number of things you can do to encourage them to get into the mood, and nobody explains it better than dan:

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/discus/messages/27480/39348.html?11129 14488

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Georgette's blue eye cichlids thread.       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration