Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Breeding Angelfish       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Kristin
Username: k_house

Post Number: 578
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 09:22 am:       

I have a pair of breeding angelfish and I am starting to see some major aggression problems from the female. They are in a 45 Hex with no other fish except 2 otocinclus. The female has always been a bit of a brut and when she was in the community tank she would beat up any fish that even looked at her the wrong way. Well now she is starting to get increasingly rough with her male partner. They used to act like a real couple, taking turns cleaning and fanning the eggs, taking turns chasing other fish away from the eggs, etc. Now he's lucky if she let's him near the eggs long enough to fertilize them. She chases him and bites him and makes him stay in the corner of the tank under a piece of driftwood. He is so unhappy, sometimes he will fight her just so he can fan the eggs one or two times. I was wondering if it would help the situation to put in a few dither fish. Just some small fast fish that won't harrass the parents but will be enough of a distraction so that mom stops beating the stew out of dad. Will this work? I'm afraid if this goes on too much longer the poor dad is going to die from stress or injury.
"No day is so bad that a wet, sloppy kiss can't fix." - the dog

Michael Bryant
Advanced Member
Username: michaelb

Post Number: 2099
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 08:44 pm:       

Kristin: sorry, sorry, sorry!! I truly meant to respond to your email...but....no excuse!!
Are you certain you have a pair, as in male and female? How old are they? Could he be the older of the two? It may be that he is past his prime and she knows it. My pairs squabble all the time for no apparent reason. I think the female is continually testing the resolve of the male to ensure he is suitable enough. Is there much of a size difference in them? Dithers might work, then again, might not. I keep going back to the fact that you have a hex tank. I have read some things regarding Angels and hex tanks...they just don't appear to like them. I have never had one so can't offer any first hand experience. Your female sounds like a real b....!! I wish I had something more to offer but at the moment.....
Many seek advice, only the wise profit from it.

Kristin
Username: k_house

Post Number: 579
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 08:51 am:       

No worries Michael! Just when you get a chance.

She is a b----! (That's her as my new avatar.) I've had her for about 3 years. The male is not much smaller than her, I've had him for about 8 months I guess. So he's probably 2 years younger than her. They started spawning in the 90 gallon community tank almost immediately after I got the male. I moved them into the 45 hex about 4 months ago I guess. Geez, I should keep a journal! Took them about a month to settle into their new home and they have been spawning every 2 weeks ever since. I was hoping they would raise the babies themselves but Goldie eats the eggs every single time. So I just started taking them out about a month ago. First batch did ok, I have 4 really adorable little babies. Second batch did awful and I think the fungus from that batch is what killed most of the babies from the first batch. They laid eggs while I was at work the other day but Goldie ate them all before I could get them out. When they were in the big tank, they seemed to do a much better job at guarding/protecting the eggs. It was like they were so preoccupied with trying to keep the other fish away from the eggs that they didn't even think about eating them or beating up on each other. I think I'll try the dither fish. If I decide they don't like them, I can always move the dithers to another tank.

I have a 29 gallon that is not set up. Do you think they would be happier in that? They really don't seem to mind the hex and I figured it would give them more room than the 29. I have 2 fake (silk) Amazon Swords and a huge (real/live) Aponogeton Ulvaceous in the tank for them. So far they have always laid eggs on a leaf of the Amazon Sword. I'm sure they liked the space of the 90 gallon better but at least they don't have yoyo loaches chasing after them when they are trying to lay eggs!
"No day is so bad that a wet, sloppy kiss can't fix." - the dog
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Breeding Angelfish       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration