Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Apistos are here!!!!       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

flyingfish
Username: flyingfish

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 06:16 pm:       

I just received my Apistos today!

I am really excited. VERY EXCITED! After all the hardwork and money spent I finaly have fish!!

I have some very young Gold & Orange Flash Cacs and Red tail & Cola Blanco Aggies. Two of each 8 total.

They have plenty of room and plenty of spaces to hide. Although very young it is clear they need their own spaces to call home.

In case of any territorial problems Ive prepared the 90g tank with the same soft water environment. I was actually going to split the types up into the two tanks from the start but they were smaller then I imagined.

I am working on getting some pictures now and will post a link if anyone is interested.
I surf fish for stripers

rob
Username: rob

Post Number: 198
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 01:53 am:       

Please do.
Just smile and nod - Im used to it...

Sully
Ancient Plus
Username: sully

Post Number: 8207
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 08:28 am:       

sounds great. I keep thinking about apistos again. just never do go there.

photos, lots of photos. please.
"I usually read the obituaries first. There is always the happy chance that one of them will make my day." -- Richard Ames

flyingfish

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 08:28 am:       

Hi Rob & Sully,
I put a small pic in the picture post.
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/discus/messages/142/53928.html?1140585 487

I am working on something now and will post alot more. I am so captured by this hobby ive created my own little website for it. I will post pics of my equipment, tanks, fish all kinds of things.
How do I tell if I am taking this hobby to far?>LOL
This is my signature

Shari
Ancient Plus
Username: shari

Post Number: 5493
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 12:04 pm:       

Congrats :-):-)

I LOVE my apistos and am working on getting another type :-)

Can't wait for more pics...that boy's a BEAUT
My Fish Tanks Are SPREADING!!

flyingfish

Post Number: 131
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 02:15 pm:       

I am shocked how fast these guys came around. They took to the tank right away and ate the first night. Thank you Wardley Spectra Max. Ive been sorta target feeding them those flakes. All of them them are eating. All my research made me think these frail little guys were going to hide for a few weeks if not forever. They arent soo frail, they arent hiding at all. I assumed the high requirements for these guys meant they were frail. I was wrong.

I will be posting more pics ASAP. Wait till you see the little "meepers".
This is my signature

Brad
Advanced Member
Username: brad

Post Number: 1630
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 02:32 pm:       

Cacs are some of the easiest to care for and cetainly one of the boldest. Great little attitudes. You`ll enjoy them a bunch.
Ever feel like you`re flying and drowning at the same time?

flyingfish

Post Number: 133
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 03:17 pm:       

WOW! I actualy have 3 gold cacs. When I took them out of the bags I counted two of each, I swear I did. The when I put the empty bag down one came flopping out. I almost missed it. So add one more gold cac to the growing list. 9 total.
This is my signature

flyingfish

Post Number: 136
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 08:06 pm:       

More photos!!!!!!
56k shall be warned.

http://www.upperorchard.net/photos.html

I just started putting stuff into this site, ill post more pictures as time passes.
This is my signature

flyingfish

Post Number: 342
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 02:31 pm:       

Just a little update. The Apistos are great and growing like weeds. The addition of the Discus hasnt had a single visible effect on the social behavior of the fish. There is no aggresion between the Apistos and Discus and its quite funny how the "Boss Hog" will chase everyone (all the other Apistos) around and hover next to a single Discus. They both act like they dont even see each other.
The live plants has been a wonderful addition to the Apisto tank and the aggression has settled down tremendously. "Boss Hog" can no longer see the other fish because the plants obstruct his view. The smaller fish seem at home amongst the plants and pick at them for food once ina while.

I stopped feeding the fish flake and pellets all together. Flake is a horrible mess to clean up. Beefheart is a mess but gets eaten. They are now eating brine shrimp, beefheart and freeze dried bloodworms on occasions.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
Gazing at your Apistogramma for hours on end.....
PRICELESS!!!

Randy
Username: milesteg

Post Number: 206

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 03:07 pm:       

Hi ff,
I've been meaning to ask,, Have you won a lottery lately? I wish I had your kind of cash. :-)
If you go through a day without learning something new, you wasted it!

Shari
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 5625

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 03:09 pm:       

Aren't they FABULOUS fishies, Frank :-):-)

I'm glad to hear they are doing so well for ya. Keep those pics coming

flyingfish

Post Number: 343
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 03:14 pm:       

Randy, Nope. I just dont have any hobbies. Well besides collecting money
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

flyingfish

Post Number: 344
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 03:16 pm:       

Shari,
I will try to keep the pics coming. They are harder to get now with plants in the way.

Thank you soo much you have been soo encouraging.
BTW I will send you a reply back tonight! Looking good!
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

flyingfish

Post Number: 354
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 04:16 pm:       

I made a mistake. Not soo big but its a mistake. It just dawned on my that my Apistogramma problem needs to be addressed.

My Apistogramma are polygamous. I learned a few things lately mostly from reading Dans feedback on the "what fish should I get" posts. One of the things I learned was what the word "polygamous" means.

My Apistos are juves and they arent showing too much aggression right now. No fish in the corners...ect..but there is feeding aggression and there is an understanding who is the boss.

Well after reading Dan's input about polygamous, I decided to read a bit more. I found that my non dominant male Apistogramma may decide to act as a female, by not coloring up as much, to escape being bullied by the dominant male. I dont want this to happen. I feel a bit shallow for considering this an issue but I want colorful males. I also want a pleasant habitat. OK.OK. no jokes about pleasant habitat and cichlids, I think you know what I mean.

I am asking for help with trying to sort this mess out. I have pairs of Apistogramma now, both male and female. My larger male actually chases the female of the same type around out of his area.

Please help! I will take action accordingly. I do not want to collect any more until I have learned more about this.

FYI. I have them in a 65 gallon planted tank. 36x18x24.

I planned on growing them out in this tank and moving some to other tanks if needed. I was under the assumption that dwarf cichlids were a bit less aggressive and would be OK in a community setting with similar Apistos. I may have cornfused the "harem" setting a bit with the community setting.

Are my concerns valid? I would like some input.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Shari
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 5633

Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 05:35 pm:       

Frank, your concerns are valid. I've tried raising them together to get pairs, and there is always a dominent male. He will grow MUCH faster then any others, unless you end up with two growing at the same rate, like I have right now. One is still dominent, but there are more females around then the one male needs, and I think this second one knows that, so he's kept up??

My first batch I kept in a harem......I thought. Turned out I had 2 males and 2 females. The lesser male posed as a female for a long time. I found out when I had two females with fry, and the "other female" started attacking and eating all the fry. I removed him, he grew and finned out, finally, and the others were MUCH happier.

....OK, now what was your question???

As far as keeping them as a community? I really don't have any experience with the other Apistos, so I can't tell you how they will act together?? I know my cacs don't mind being in a peaceful community and I've spawned them that way many times. Granted, I've only gotten fry to survive in a species tank, more or less. I always have some type of Target Fish for them, and this last time it was just a single female platy.

Maybe we can talk Brad into jumping in here with some other Apisto Experience :-)

flyingfish

Post Number: 356
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 11:02 am:       

Shari, Thank you for the input. I think whats happening is maturity. The fish arent little babies anymore and space is getting limited quickly. Maybe Brad can shed some more light. I just want a happy home. I am hesitant to do anything just yet (like adding more females) however, I am currently working on duplicating the same environment in another tank, so I can move out the smaller fish. Pump em up with BBS. :-)

Contradictory to my other statement, Boss Hog (the largest of the bunch, the cola aggie)is now taking on any fish (Discus included) that comes near the bottom of the mushroom and surrounding area. His coloring has bloomed like a flower. The female aggie is also snuggling up to him and he doesnt seem to mind her much as of late. She is huge and my wife said she looks pregnant. I dont know what to think. I put in beefheart lately for Discus and she just may have a big belly from that.

My large orange flash cac (Flash Gordon) is just as big as Boss Hog except he is a real sweetheart, ideal canidate for large Discus tank. He rarely chases anyone and hasnt seemed to claim his own spot yet, OK well maybe the tall log.... Flash pretty much hangs out anywhere except under the mushroom.

I guess I am kinda asking for you guys to predict the future for me. I had intended on moving some of these fish as they matured and I think its just coming a little bit sooner then I thought. The arrangement is also just a little different then expected because of the different growth rates/sizes. I will work hard on getting the other tanks ready.

I will continue to post my updates and let everyone know whats happening. Thank you!!
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Brad
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1765

Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 11:42 am:       

I skimmed through the previous postes, and really only concentrated on the last 2 and the first postes. Correct me if I skipped the details and have your setups all messed up.

You have cacs and aggies together in a 65 gallon?

Your footprint of 36 X 18 is what`s important to apistos. An experienced apisto keeper could have 3 harems going that tank. However, you`d need to place objects to clearly define territories and almost make 3 ''appartments'' and you wouldn`t enjoy the layout at all.

Apistos often live in very crammed quarters in the wild. There can be a few males in a single square foot, with one dominant male and the others occasionally getting ''lucky''. There is so much leaf litter making tunnels and layers that there is plenty of place for those males to hide. Not exactly the most ideal setup in our tanks.

You MAY be able to get away with a pair of each in that tank if it`s heavily planted. There will be some sparring between the 2 males, but given their own territory, there shouldn`t be any damage done. You may even enjoy watching them interact and show off to each other.

What you CAN get away with, is moving one or the other out to the 90 gallon and let them each setup their own harem.

Males will often chase females that don`t show an interest in breeding. No point in having her around right! So, usually, especially with cacs, she`ll be interested in breeding again within a few days, and given good hiding spots, she`ll get through those few days the male doesn`t like her with flying colours. If she takes longer (aggies seem to turn it on and off for extendedperiods of time for no reason) you may be best to remove her until she`s ready again. Then when you add her back, the male my harass her for a few hours, but if she`s truley ready, she`ll show him she`s ready to breed, and he`ll fall in love with hr all over again.

flyingfish

Post Number: 358
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 01:17 pm:       

Yep 36x18 I know its small for the reported 65 gallons. All of em are in the 65. I thought I was OK for a while because of how small they were.

I placed apartments, the best I could. I only have two apartments tho...I see where the trouble begins here....awesome feedback.

Heavily planted, yep. I am thinking the same thing. Two males in this 65G tank. With two "apartments".

I was thinking of taking the least aggressive of the bunch, which is now the orange flash cac. And setting him up with female harem in the 90. Like you said, now I feel much more secure doing so.

So a few questions now....
How many females should I get for the harem? 3 per male? I am not interested in selling or breeding babies, I just want them to be happy. Will this create a baby boom?

I have a Gold cac, with the orange fins. Is this a problem pairing this with other female Gold cacs? Is there something I am missing here about genes and the offspring being really weak, pardon me for the lack of knowledge here on this. Should I be pairing a Gold cac with other orange flash type females? This thought spawns from "This February, 2004 article by Mike Yamamoto, appearing in Aquarium Fish Magazine" I wasnt sure if my cac and this cac talked about here are the same things.

And one last question to solidify my plans.
Will the cac and aggie breed? I am thinking I of keeping one male aggie in the 65 with a male cac along with thier females.

Thanks soo much for the help.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Brad
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1772

Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 02:08 pm:       

How many of each do you have?

How many females you give each male depends on how the tank`s setup. The male will patrole his territory and the females need room to have their own territories inside his without being too close to other females. 2-3 is good. Sometimes more, sometimes they`re happy with only one.

YG fry seem to be more touchy than others. They need a little special care for the first few weeks. Did you get some of Mike`s Yellow Gold orange flash or just read his article? What you pair them with will depend on what you want from the spawns. If you want them to breed true and keep the YG Orange Flash coloration, pair them together. If you breed a YG with a triple red or regular orange flash, most will come out regular as I beleive the YG is recessive.

Aggies and cacs won`t breed together, although the males may get confused from time to time and try hitting on the other`s female, which will get the other male ticked off and you may have a good fin flaring show.

Shari
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 5642

Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 02:49 pm:       

See, I knew Brad could help

flyingfish

Post Number: 359
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 03:47 pm:       

I have a male and female of each kind.
cacatuoides Gold
cacatuoides Orange Flash
agassizi Cola Blanco
agassizi Red Tail

OIC, will the male be happy pimping only one? I am happy with one female if they are. I dont have the room for all the females in that case. I thought they were happy together, I am picturing an Egyptian lair.... harem of women all acting nicely together to please the Pharoh. No offense to women here, thats not the idea.

I just read the article. I dont want to order from Hawaii. Im scared. Too far of a trip.

Sweet! I am probably seeing flaring now, the cola aggie sort of like hovers in a angled stance slowly moving toward the other fish then darting at them to shoo them off. His colors have "POPPED" lately. My friend came over and he said "wow is that the same one?" I was like yup!

Shari, "You're Gr-r-reat"
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Shari
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 5644

Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 04:07 pm:       

awwwww Just happens to be a good subject for me to help with :-)

I've had perfectly happy spawning pairs, so that's no issue. I kept the original trio I spawned in a 40g breeder (3' long to give you territory ideas). The females took up residence on either end of the tank. They were civil as long as they didn't run into each other in the middle

The male happily cruised the entire tank, peeking in on any fry that were around. The females would "bow" to him (only way to describe it?..submissive pose?) when he got near the fry. He would take a look, then move on. :-)

I love these little things in case you can't tell

Brad
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1775

Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 04:19 pm:       

Yeah, so if you can keep one pair of aggies with a pair of cacs in each tank, I think that would be best. Otherwise, you have a breeding aggy, a breeding cac, and one submisive one that spends his day staying out of trouble, hitting on the girls but trying not to get caught.

As for the females trying to please the male, well....wait until you have fry, then you`ll see it`s one male putting up with a bunch of females in order to breed and watch them go at it with each other. If you only have 1 female, your male will find other things to do while she`s raising the young ones, instead of moving down the line to see who else wants a little action.

Lots of fun.

There is also the chance that one decides the tank simply in`t big enough and tries to kick the others out. My new male recently gave 1 of his females the boot. I tried to reintroduce her when she was ripe but.....nope. He likes his girlfriend and that`s it.

flyingfish

Post Number: 360
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 04:28 pm:       

I love them too!
I want them to be as happy as I am.

OK.. soOO what I am going to do is.... keep the cola aggie pair with the gold cac pair in the 65.

Move the red tail aggie pair into the 20L to "juice them up". Dont worry no hormones/steroids just often BBS feedings.

Move the orange flash pair into the 90. Maybe wait a bit for Mrs. Flash to grow bigger.

Sound like a plan? Sorry for the complicating the "please arrange my fish" request but I just wanted to really know what I am doing and why I am doing it.

Wow Brad we posted at the same time....you guys have officialy led this horse to water. I can see that from my response and your feedback.

Horray for Badmans!!
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Shari
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 5646

Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 05:14 pm:       

OH MAN....almost forgot this point...Brad reminded me.

When I first put my last pair together, I only had Spixi snails in with them. They spawned, got them to free-swim, no problem. Then one day, I spotted Papa "mouthing" something??? He would suck it in, chew, then spit it out, over and over. I went closer to see what he was up to, and it was A FRY I almost screamed. I don't know that he killed it?? He may have just been investigating the body?? But, that batch of fry slowly disappeared over the next two days....BAD PAPA

That's when Brad suggested a Target for Papa, and I added the Female Red Wag Platy. Papa started chasing her and left Mama and babies alone for the next spawns. It turned out the fry were NOT all gone, but they learned VERY fast to hide from Papa (which meant I never saw them). I only ended up with 4 from that batch, but that was better then I expected after seeing that.

Oh, and don't worry, Little Miss Platy is in perfect health to this day. Not a torn fin or anything :-):-)

flyingfish

Post Number: 361
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 10:15 pm:       

Heck wont the Discus eat the fry?
Is it evil for me not to care?

I am prolly going to change my tune when I see fry right?

Prefilters, grow out tanks, improper breeding....ect..OMG I am scared to be a father.

Villanova!
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Brad
Advanced Member

Post Number: 1776

Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 11:40 am:       

Yeah the discus will probably try to eat them. Depending on how good of a mom the female is, they may not get the chnace to though. Discus are big targets to hit and a female with fry is affraid of nothing.

The survival rate will also depend alot on you. If the female abandons them after a month to breed again, and you haven`t fed them enough to get their body size up, they may still fit in the discus mouth.

Heavily planted though, you may get away with raising a few. Eitherway, you`ll still get to see the breeding behaviour and enjoy them just as much.

flyingfish

Post Number: 374
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 02:18 pm:       

I am much more confident now thank you guys.

Check out the new pictures. Well not exactly new but...
http://www.upperorchard.net/photos.html

Props to Jessica and photoshop tutorial. Whoever Jessica is. I am working on getting the rest of my pictures fixed up. My page loads soo much faster now.

God who would have thought Id learn all this stuff at a fish board!
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9724

Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 04:08 pm:       

Jessica is Admin, second only to the Badman (Pat) himself, and one of the two best photographers here. Maybe one of the 3 or 4 best photographers now, if a couple of the new members over at the gallery make their way over here and stay for a while.

If you need more info than that, click on her name and view her profile. That's about all we know about you, for that matter, and at least she has a real name...

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

flyingfish

Post Number: 380
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 12:07 am:       

Well shes great. The steps are soo easy and I was doing it wrong before.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

Anthony
Username: bigant

Post Number: 37

Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 04:25 am:       

Where can I find this photoshop tutorial? I would love to learn to take better (I would settle for decent) pictures of my fish.
Yours is not to question why, mine is to buy fish and die.

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9731

Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 08:11 am:       

There is a link to the Gallery on the top of each page here: http://badmanstropicalfish.com/species-gallery/gallery_main.html/main.php

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

flyingfish

Post Number: 473
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 09:52 am:       

Hey I have a question...
My Apistos are acting different....well see last few posts......the female had the "black splotch" on her side. The male has taken territory and doesnt move much. I swear I saw something get gobbled up one day.

I saw Shari's post with her babies and was wondering how many babies mine would have? and how long they would last?

The 20 gallon is ready and I will be splitting up the Apistos this week. I am making a nice rock cave for Apistos in the 90 gallon. I will put one pair into the 20 gallon and one pair into the 90 gallon for now.

I have noticed that the Apistos can take residence in a small nook and see the potential for a packed tank.
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!

flyingfish

Post Number: 570

Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 02:48 pm:       

HEHE And they all live happily ever after!
http://www.upperorchard.net/
Filter and heater $80
65 gallon aquarium $280
PRICELESS!!!
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Apistos are here!!!!       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration