Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Lets play arrange the fish       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

larry
Username: gomezaddams

Post Number: 639
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 09:08 pm:       

I found a couple of private breeders to sell me some mbuna tomorrow and Im taking a road trip covering about 300 miles round trip to pick up(and visit the inlaws lol).

Im getting a trio of Labeotropheus trewavasae Mpanga Red,6 Cynotilapia afra blue reef juvies 1-2inch,and possibly a group of yellow labs juvies.

I currently have 2 male metriclima greshaki,

1 male 1 female bumblebee possibly crabo or elongatus,

1 Maylandia estherae,
and 1 blue johanni Im hoping to find some females for because he is coloring up nice.

I have 2 55g and 2 30g tanks cycled 1 55g setup but not cycled,anyone want to play arrange the fish?
Waiting will fill

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6581
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 03:39 am:       

rather than "arrange the fish" you need to play "get larger tank(s)". thirty gallon tanks are not large enough for the fish you've got or are getting ... 55 gallons is minimum for Mbuna or you're going to have mayhem and dead fish. you cannot keep "pairs" or "trios" of Mbuna species

in one of your 55's you can keep two groups of different species ... a group = 1 male + 4 or more females. so there's your Cynotilapia and Labidochromis caeruleus.

in another 55 you can install the Labeotropheus trewavasae trio and consider that tank full. this fish grows to 7 inches. moreover, i don't think you'll be successful with only a pair of females and a male and strongly suggest another female for this group at a minimum. trouble is, that will be a tight squeeze in a 55 ... a 75 would be much better.

after this you've got a problem. a single estherae, a single johanni and two crabro or elongatus will not work ... remember 1 male + 4 females results in a successful group. other sexual ratios result in dead fish.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

larry

Post Number: 651
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 09:30 am:       

Id love to get more females to round out my groups but Ive never seen greshaki or johanni females for sale,and attempts by lfs to special order them have not been sucessful.I like the esterae and they get them at petsmart occasionally so I may buy 6 more hope for a male and some females when they grow out then figure out what to do with extra males.Ive been using the 30g tanks as holding tanks for single fish from my all male show tank in the kitchen,brokeback fishtank lol.Ive been taking out all the rocks and rearranging every other waterchange and taking out the dominant male if he gets too mean the bumblebee is currently in the dunce corner.once again I dont want all males it just that I can only buy fish that are offered for sale.
What I was thinking of doing with the trewavasae is give the females the 55 then introduce the male temporarily to get them holding then take him out.If im lucky enough to make this work Ill eventally get a 125g to establish some stable groups in.
the breeder said he did his best to select 4 females for the afra group so Im hoping for the best. The guy with the labs cancelled so the afras get a 55g maybe i can get some more esterae and let those two groups coexist culling out extra males
Waiting will fill

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9336
Posted on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 09:43 am:       

For breeding groups, I take extra males back to the LFS for store credit. Since they are much larger than when I bought them, half credit at the new value usually exceeds what I paid for them full price as juvies or fry.

But I also have a bachelor tank and have seldom noticed aggression between species, maybe a bit at feeding time, mostly with conspecifics, so I now only keep one bachelor of each species, and make sure none of them are similar enough in color or body form to trigger aggression.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

larry

Post Number: 654
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 12:00 am:       

Cindy from talking to people about mbuna Ive been finding the bachelor tank is the most common setup.
Im just home with my new fish everyone made it home ok.The breeders place was amazing a 210g with an awesome frontosa colony blew me away the alpha male was gorgeous beyond belief.and he had just spawned albino plecos the tiny little guys were so cute but he said he wont sell them for a few more weeks.
The afra juvies are fabulous deep blue almost purple,I moved the bachelors out of the kitchen tank and moved them in.The trewavasae group is an established trio the females have held before for this male. they got the 55g with the pool filter sand.The male is in on probation Ill move him out if neccesary,I hope to breed them the male is pretty afer all this moving cant wait to see him after he settles down.I gave the johanni(hope to find some females for him hes very pretty) the 30g and the rest of the boys the other 55g.

I liked the idea of the labs with the afras now not sure what to put in with the afras any Ideas?
Waiting will fill

larry

Post Number: 682
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 05:02 pm:       

One of the female trewavasae is holding already!I tried to get her out by shooing her into a fishbowl,so I could put her in a 20g but after two tries gave up and took out the other two fish.I put a sponge filter over the filters intake to prevent sucking up fry and now Im waiting and watching.I moved the Johanni out of the 30 and gave the other two that tank after 1/2 filling it with rock,If I have to separate,or I see that female holding,Ill move the male.

My afras are gorgeous just juvies at 1-2" and stunningly beautiful.The guy had 9 and I only took 6 and Im kicking myself for not taking them all.Theres two definite males when they blaze white Im blown away every time.

I just got a 125g its gonna be a project wont be set up for a few months.It was gonna be big s.a. fish but now its gonna be all african!!
Im totally hooked on mbuna!
Waiting will fill
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Lets play arrange the fish       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration