Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Cichlids with mates or no?       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

Dan
Username: jacksandoscars

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 08:50 pm:       

Hey guys,
I was just looking at a few pics of my friend's tanks and noticed that he mainly had stocked his tanks with very few types of cichlids in larger numbers. This got me to wondering if people prefer to have species tanks or mixed tanks? I was thinking of maybe having a festivum tank as I really enjoy the look of these fish and they seem to be quite hardy. I was thinking on either having a 80g (very wide tank with decent width and height) tank a few of them (How many would you guys think is safe?), a pleco (one of the 8 inch MAX plecos), and pictus catfish or having a tank with like a couple of festivum, 2 angels, and the pleco and pictus.

Which would you guys think would be the most enjoyable? So far I am leaning towards the angels as both fish are very beautiful and peaceful (I keep hearing the odd case of Extreme aggression when they've reached their adult size) and I also like some variety.
20g Tank - 1 dwarf gourami, 2 pearl gourami, 2 honey gourami, 4 corydoras, 1 small pleco, 1 spotted rafael catfish
10g tank - 3 male and 6 female guppies, 2 corydoras, 1 betta
*80g tank - coming soon! (Cichlids this time!)

Dan

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 09:08 pm:       

My other idea for a mixed sort of tank would be:
2 Angels
2 Silver Dollars
2 Festivum
1 Pleco
& 1 smaller geophagus (On the subject I am very intrigued about this kind of fish and find them really cool (after seeing pics and a few in the LFS). Are there many in the species that do not grow really large? I'm thinking something under 7". I saw a Gymnogeophagus balzanii at the shop and apparently they only grow to around 4-6". Any truth? If not can you suggest a different kind of eartheater that is both interesting (good looking :P) and only reaches 6-7")
20g Tank - 1 dwarf gourami, 2 pearl gourami, 2 honey gourami, 4 corydoras, 1 small pleco, 1 spotted rafael catfish

Shari
Ancient Plus
Username: shari

Post Number: 5505
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 12:29 pm:       

Hi Dan :-)

First off, I wouldn't recommend Silver dollars in an 80g. They get HUGE and need a school :-)

As for the Festivums, go for it. I LOVE mine and wish I could find more. VERY personable, friendly, not "pushy", but will tend to take over the tank....not in a bad way, just "in charge".

When I first researched them I was told to get 1, 2 or 5. If you get 3, one will end up being picked on. 5 will spread out the aggression. I got 2, lost one about a month later and still have the other 3 years later. I love Festi :-):-)

Here's a pic of my Boy :-)
http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/species-gallery/gallery_main.html/photo-gallery/displayimage.php?album=52&pos=1 7

They are natural mates of Angels and I've always had that mix. Works great unless you want the Angels to spawn....that won't work with a Festivum in the tank. I had an Angel pair that spawned and did a FABULOUS job "trying" to save the eggs. Unfortunately Festi was VERY aggressive about eating them and managed to chase both parents off after about an hour. They just gave up. Between the efforts of spawning and then the battle, they were worn out.

The Pleco would be perfect in there. I have an 8+" one with mine.

As for the Geophagus....OH SULLY :-):-) He can help you with them :-)

Hope that helps :-)
My Fish Tanks Are SPREADING!!

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9377
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 02:18 pm:       

I take it Shari is either in a very good mood or that is the only smiley in the smiley gallery she can get to work today...

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

Shari
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 5511
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 03:22 pm:       

LOL, cindy....I am in a good mood, but it's just SO EASY to type that one :-) SEEEE

rob
Username: rob

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 02:38 am:       

Why do i love the look of all your fish shari? Every one you show me is a such sexy little beast!
A good scapegoat is nearly as welcome as a solution to the problem..

Shari
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 5517
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 10:57 am:       

Thank You, Rob....I like to stare at them too (A LOT)

Dan

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 11:01 pm:       

Lol,
Okay, still trying to gather some info on the smaller earth eaters and having a little success. I saw an interesting pleco that'd supposed to reach 6" max and it looks crazy! It was black with yellow pokadots. Not sure what kind it really is (You know stores and there goofy names... Melloy Yello Pleco...).

So as to Festis, Would you suggest 4 instead of 5? Because I was thinking 4 festis and then 2 angels. Most of the cichlids that are hardy fish are the "Socially challenged" kind and don't mix with angels so I figured "Hey! Here's my chance to have some angels!".

Thanks a bunch

PS, Shari, I was looking through your pics and I was just wondering if you've had alot of success with guppies or only a little? I say this because I've had some REAL problems with guppies... I admit that in the begining their tankmates were not that great... One of my tetras (blackskirt) took a nibble right out of my female and she died . After that I unfortunatly got a batch of 4 that were VERY unhealthy (kept in a tank WITH OVER 100 OTHER GUPPYS (33g tank) (I got a refund on them but it's not enough compensation) I now have 3 females and 2 males. These 5 are VERY hardy and have lived up to what I had hoped they would... The number's aren't great as I like at LEAST 2:1 female:male so I'm going to try a new pet store and pick up another male and 3 feamles (It's been around a month since I've added fish and the tank has been running for around 5 months (0 ammonia, o nitrites, safe nitrate (I don't get a reading on my strips, just good low or bad))

Any advice?

Shari
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 5523
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 10:34 am:       

Actually Dan, I've had almost no success with Guppies. I get some, they survive 6 months, I have a TON of fry, then the whole tank dies off for no apparent reason. This has happened 3 or 4 times to me now.

I have one remaining from the last time I tried and he was born in the tank. I added a female, who's doing fine, and adopted 2 older males, who are also doing fine. I spotted a tiny yellow fry the other day, but haven't seen it since.

Basically I turned my Guppy tank into a Tetra tank

However, I have nothing BUT success with Endlers??? Go figure :-)

Dan

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 09:47 pm:       

Very interesting fish... I'd never heard about them till now (I nearly mistook them for guppys in the beginning!). I might see about getting some of these fish. Do you know if they are like guppys in the respect of having minimum 2 female:male to spread out the "attention"? If So I think I may only pick up a male and 2 females... Even so they are beautiful fish!

Shari
Ancient Plus

Post Number: 5525
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 11:26 am:       

Endlers and Guppys are related and need about the same things. As with Guppys, you can get only males and they are much prettier, but they will be happier with a mixed group I would assume.

They are beautiful, aren't they :-) Tank Jewels

OH, just wanted to add....I spotted that little Yellow Fry again last night, so I have one more :-):-)
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * Cichlids with mates or no?       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration