Topics Topics        

Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * I am totally confused       

These questions and answers are for research or archival use only. There is a wealth of information here and I encourage you to search the areas. For the latest information and to join an active forum please click below.
Badman's message forum

Top of PagePrevious PostNext PostBottom of Page Link To This Post

sandy
Username: kayharley

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 10:55 am:       

Started a 55 gallon tank with African fish (here's where it gets complicated because I only know a couple slang names for my fish.)
Our supplier has been in business for 35 years and knows her stuff so we just accepted her advice and started with 8 fish but only one of each kind. I know one is a Mono, yellow Labids, Aurora, silver scat ?? Am I making sense and am I in the right topic? Are these fish considered cichlids or just African? I'm new here so please don't scold, just help?

cindy
Ancient Plus
Username: cindy

Post Number: 9371
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 11:06 am:       

The mono and scat are not cichlids, and are brackish fish and belong in a brackish tank.

The yellow labs and auratus are mbuna from Lake Malawi, cichlids that can be kept together in hard, alkaline (fresh) water.

"The only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve." --- Albert Schweitzer

dan
Username: dan

Post Number: 6608
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 01:11 pm:       

neither Monodactylus argenteus nor Scatophagus are African nor are they cichlids. they are however, brackish water fish and not suitable companions for East African cichlids.

been in business for 35 years and knows her stuff hmmmm .. i'm thinking she didn't pick up much in the way of knowledge in that amount of time.
you're never too old to have a happy childhood.

Michael Bryant
Advanced Member
Username: michaelb

Post Number: 2128
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 12:38 am:       

well...she certainly knows how to sell fish!!
Many seek advice, only the wise profit from it.
Badman's Tropical Fish - Archives * Cichlid Corner * I am totally confused       

Quick Navigation Links

Administration